Debating a new allrounder : Hightower V2, Ibis Ripmo, Fezzari La Sal

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Debating a new allrounder : Hightower V2, Ibis Ripmo, Fezzari La Sal
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
Hello Gents,

After selling my Trek Fuel EX 8, I'm looking for my new bike...

Riding in NorCal, I want to be able to climb with my wife to explore the trails, and do some more serious riding with local groups.maybe 1-2 bikeparks a year.
I come from DH (I was living in the Alps), but I don't jump anymore, unless small bumps / drops here and there.
I'm fairly light (74kg- 167lbs?).
I have narrowed my search to 3 bikes, mainly for the STA and all around performance :

Fezzari La Sal peak : best bang for the buck, fully customizable (looking for the cheapest build with Fox upgrades). No return of experience on lifetime, really light frame so I'm concerned about reliability.

Santa cruz Hightower C R build : Dream bike brand for me, more expensive, less travel than Fezzari. I don't mind the Yari because I can upgrade the damper later. On the heavier side but stiff frame.

Ibis Ripmo : never seen, just read the reviews and seems great. Cheapest build on par with the Hightower.

Warranty : Fezzari lifetime on the frame, SC lifetime + free bearings, Ibis 7 years?

So I'm torn and need a bike soon, today I have nothing to ride and it feels weird.

Anyone has ridden those 3 bikes?

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Here is pretty good review of the Ripmo compared to the Ripley and SB130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2qLi1odl4

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
It seems like the Santa Cruz is what you want. Personally I would just go for that and sell the fork later to replace it with something else.

My one complaint with sc is that their builds aren’t great value for money. If you can get a frame I’d do that and build from scratch myself

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
thanks for the replies!

the SC is a good looking bike for sure, but the Ripmo is growing on me, and has slightly more travel.

the La Sal is bigger travel so maybe more eager to rip downhill...

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
Go with the ripmo is the most versatile bike I have own, climbs like a goat and it rips on the DH.

Johnnyflex wrote:
thanks for the replies!

the SC is a good looking bike for sure, but the Ripmo is growing on me, and has slightly more travel.

the La Sal is bigger travel so maybe more eager to rip downhill...

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
Out of curiosity, are you finding that the Fuel EX isn't climbing well enough? What issue are you looking to improve?

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay...

So, I’ve bought a Megatower !

I was fed up of trying to find a blue large Hightower, and being without bike I needed something.

Although it is heavier than the fuel, it climbs better, I like the position and the suspension going uphill.

The size large is perfect for me.

Downhill it’s... wow. So stable, stiff and playful!

I need to dial everything to get it right though Smile

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
I am 6'0. Tested the Bronson C in large with alloy wheels. I liked it a lot going up and down until I got in the air and went through rough rock gardens and repeated roots.

After learning that my riding style needed a long bike and short stem I settled on an XL Hightower v2 C (GX, Lyrik, Superdeluxe +) I switched the 50mm raceface stem to a 35mm Renthal Apex stem. I did not know bikes could feel this supple over chatter while climbing amazingly well. I am only 180lbs so that may by why I didnt feel much bob and I feel it descends better than the large Trek Session I rode at Trestle Bike Park earlier this year. I got a killer deal on a demo at my LBS and threw some carbon wheels on it. Still have the warranty on the bike and its whisper quiet and playful with the short stem. YMMV but I would give the HTV2 a shot.

31.1 LBS in size XL. (with carbon wheels, Apex stem, Renthal bar and 165mm cranks)

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
Do the HTs have problems with rocks and chunk coming up off the rear wheel and destroying the frame?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008726
Mobile Version of Website