E13 LG1R carbon wheel, breaking spokes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
E13 LG1R carbon wheel, breaking spokes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
So I bought a new YT Tues two weeks ago, I’ve ridden it about 6 times. Last Thursday I broke a rear spoke, replaced it with a Sapim. Today I broke 3 more.

Contacted E13, they suggest that braking the first spoke weakened the others and have offered to send me some new spokes. I’m not really sure what is a reasonable expectation for warranty with something like this.

I imagine now that this has begun I’m going to keep finding broken spokes on an ongoing basis. What’s the solution? Re-lace it with all new spokes at the same time?

Heading to Whistler tomorrow. Bummed.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
When you replace the broken spokes you need to check all spoke tension and verify relative tension of all spokes is acceptable.

If you've broken that many already I would go ahead and relace, true and tension the entire wheel.

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Update, so I had the rear wheel completely relaced with new 2mm spokes/nipples a month ago. Rechecked tension, all seems well but I’ve since broken 2 of those in the past 3 rides, as well as 2 front spokes now too. What could be causing this? I can only assume wheel flex, but E13 says these are as burly as it gets, and they’ve offered to send me a new set of spokes. Breaking a spoke almost every ride is getting old. Not really sure what to do next other than buy a new wheelset and give up on these. Any suggestions?

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
Update, so I had the rear wheel completely relaced with new 2mm spokes/nipples a month ago. Rechecked tension, all seems well but I’ve since broken 2 of those in the past 3 rides, as well as 2 front spokes now too. What could be causing this? I can only assume wheel flex, but E13 says these are as burly as it gets, and they’ve offered to send me a new set of spokes. Breaking a spoke almost every ride is getting old. Not really sure what to do next other than buy a new wheelset and give up on these. Any suggestions?

A few questions...

What is your average drive side spoke tension (in kg/f) on rear, and what is your average brake side tension on front?
How uniform is your spoke tension, i.e. what's the highest reading vs.lowest?
Do you know if locking nipples or spoke prep was used, and if so, what kind?
Are you seeing a pattern in WHERE the spokes are breaking (like at the nipple end, middle, or head?
Are these 15ga spokes?

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006792
Mobile Version of Website