Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
Not coil but on the X2 I've found 19mm (~29% of 65) to do the trick.

Adding 3 volume spacers made a huge difference as well, I found that with the stock single spacer the ride was either harsh or I was blowing through the travel depending on pressures. Past ~130mm travel the LR is quite linear to digressive so it really helps to keep the rear feeling consistent.

I feel like with the increased sensitivity of the coil you'd probably want to lean towards less sag to keep it from wallowing.

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 0:38 Quote
So, I did that Cool changed travel on my TTX(2)Air to 62,5. Will test it on local trails this weekend.
It will be last ride on this shock, though. I am going to replace it with new TTX1Air, since it looks like it fits the frame better. Even Ohlins suggests it now on its Suspension Performance Guide.
I rode my TTX(2)Air with all possible spacers, but I felt it's been going through the travel too easy. Smaller can on TTX1Air moves progression characteristics to "next" level.

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
frango wrote:
So, I did that Cool changed travel on my TTX(2)Air to 62,5. Will test it on local trails this weekend.
It will be last ride on this shock, though. I am going to replace it with new TTX1Air, since it looks like it fits the frame better. Even Ohlins suggests it now on its Suspension Performance Guide.
I rode my TTX(2)Air with all possible spacers, but I felt it's been going through the travel too easy. Smaller can on TTX1Air moves progression characteristics to "next" level.
Keep us updated I’m very interested in doing that as well

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
I got the giant 2020 pro reign 29 I PUSHED the front fork to coil and Im debating on selling the x2 and getting the dhx2 coil I’m 205lbs I can’t seem to find a happy medium in the rear shock for my body weight..what is the rear set up some on here are running and set up?? I live in the northeast so rocks roots chunk and jumps

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
hunter1031 wrote:
I got the giant 2020 pro reign 29 I PUSHED the front fork to coil and Im debating on selling the x2 and getting the dhx2 coil I’m 205lbs I can’t seem to find a happy medium in the rear shock any body out there my weight and what is the rear set up?? I live in the northeast so rocks roots chunk and jumps

im 230lbs with a dhx2, 525lbs spring and its got traction for days. only a performance elite shock so no high speed adjusters but im running LSC at 13 from closed and LSR at 15 from closed and absolutely love it.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 4:28 Quote
AVY'd marzocchi CR?

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Anyone who has swapped in a 170mm air shaft instead of the 160mm have any feedback on how they like it? Thinking of doing this on my Advanced Pro 1 in the next couple of weeks.

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
Just swapped out the front air shaft 160mm to a push 170mm coil so far its like butter going through rock gardens with the snow coming it’s gonna be slim pickings in the next few weeks on riding I plan on swapping out the x2 for a dhx2 if adding 2 more volume spacers doesn’t give me some smoother peddling over rocks and roots going up and down just feels I get caught up and it slows me downs no matter how much I adjust it seems to harsh

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
hunter1031 wrote:
Just swapped out the front air shaft 160mm to a push 170mm coil so far its like butter going through rock gardens with the snow coming it’s gonna be slim pickings in the next few weeks on riding I plan on swapping out the x2 for a dhx2 if adding 2 more volume spacers doesn’t give me some smoother peddling over rocks and roots going up and down just feels I get caught up and it slows me downs no matter how much I adjust it seems to harsh

Marzocchi CR, then avalanche tuning Big Grin

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
jtmtb82 wrote:
I’m 5’7”-8”ish and should fit good on a Medium. What makes it feel small is the top tube is short because the steep seat tube bringing you closer to bars while sitting more upright. The reach is bigger but the upright seated feeling while physically sitting closer to bars feels wrong because I am use to sitting farther back with a slack seat tube and reaching farther for the bars. The Large feels great seated because it’s a familiar leaned over position to reach the bars although geometry reach is actually huge and bigger than most other companies Large with same style bike. Even though I feel I figured it out, I cannot decide on a frame size. Im also scared to get a 2020 and then Giant will release a medium/long frame after hearing alot of the same concerns.

I'm just about the same height (173cm) and have the medium (2020). I would have liked it if the TT was a bit longer. I bought it second hand at a good price, so didn't have much choice in the sizing. I read that when developing it the test riders on the large wanted a longer bike, but the ones on the medium didn't, which is why there is a relatively large jump in those frame sizes.

I'd like to try a large and see how it fits. The relatively big jump in sizing puts me off a bit, but I'm sure it would feel more familiar seated, on pedaling flat sections and a bit more stable on downhills, perhaps at the expense of some nimbleness and flat corners. Some reviewers said that you have to keep weight on the front wheel to keep it from washing out which would be more difficult on the large if I upsize to it. The front might be too light then? So, pro's and cons of each size.

For now I'll look at getting a longer stem and see how that feels and handles.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 4:36 Quote
Thinking of swapping out the X2 air shock on my 2020 adv 1 to a dhx2 coil. No experience with running a coil on any bike so just wondering who’s made the swap and what they think?

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Big-griff wrote:
Thinking of swapping out the X2 air shock on my 2020 adv 1 to a dhx2 coil. No experience with running a coil on any bike so just wondering who’s made the swap and what they think?

I've just fitted a dvo jade coil with 62.5 stroke so will update in a couple days but used to have a coil on my old bike and liked the real planted feel so am hopefull this will be the same.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Big-griff wrote:

You'll want to source a progressive spring for that to make the most of it.
The reign really isn't designed to be run with a coil, and it's common to be stuffing the air shocks with spacers for people taking them to the park. The reign SX was a mistake for hard-charging riders, imo. While it is extremely comfy on slower speed park trails and tech (very much like the enduro evo x-frames from a few years ago) it's just too linear to really be pushing around and feel supportive.

The three-position DVO shocks play very well with the trance/tranceX/reign as far as I've seen, both the topaz and jadeX. Thankfully, DVO has progressive springs for them as well. The DHX in the 4-way adjustable with climb lever would be sweet as well, I'm sure.

@jacquers and anyone else worried about the sizing on these (or other giant bikes). The front/rear balance is a little different from other brands, likely due to the packaging needed for the maestro. the CS is a little longer. I don't believe you'd be happier on a large size, as I've ridden both and I'm a little taller. If you're doing all kinds of riding from slow speed jank with drop-offs, uphill skinnies, etc. up to the park stuff that the reign is capable of, I bet you'll come to appreciate the conservative TT length.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005976
Mobile Version of Website