Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
Author Message
Posted: May 27, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
So is the minor consensus on this forum is that a 65mm stroke works without issues on Large and XL frames ? I thought someone said it caused massive damage to their frame but now I can’t find it. I have the 2021 advanced carbon frame in a large size and I want to switch to a 62.5 mm stroke so I’m hoping that will be plenty safe..??

Just picked up my large 2021 SX. Pulled out the two, stroke limiter shims, and under full compression, there is approx >5mm of space between the frame and rear triangle.

I'll update with info as I get some miles in.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
So, I've finally had two full weekends riding on trails I know pretty well.
Regular pace, no hucking to flat, no serious mistakes/akward landings.
R29 ADV Medium, Ohlins TTX1 Air 205x65 shock with recommended tokens.
So far no issues, despite the fact, that I've phisically similated full shock travel with cord and ruller.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 22:39 Quote
As far as heavy bottom outs, hucks to flat and awkward landings go, my medium adv has seen far too many of them with no issues at 65mm for about a year now so I wouldn't be too concerned.

With the HSC stack on the Float X2 softened as well the rear end is finally performing the way it should be from the factory.

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
Can anyone give me an idea whether the Reign 29 stays fun on easier trails, or is it a monster truck that is only entertaining on steep/rough/fast high commitment stuff?

I currently have a Trance 29 (alloy Trance 1) and a Merida Big Trail 500 (140mm 29" hardtail with good trail geo), but thinking about moving from the Trance 29 to something longer travel (keeping the hardtail for the easier XC style riding), and I've spotted a good deal on a Reign 29 adv pro 1 which is tempting me.

I really like the Trance 29, its a great handling bike but I do find myself second-guessing and shying away from bigger hits at times, partly because I feel bad about my 105kg bottoming out its 115mm of rear travel... I don't bottom out too hard too often and logically I know the occasional bottom-out won't hurt it, but I still feel bad when I do.

I've never owned a longer travel bike to compare, my only long travel experience was renting a Remedy for a day at a bike park to save wear and tear on the Trance. It took a bit to get used to and I didn't really get on with the Remedy geo (too low in the stack), but the ability of the extra 30mm travel to soak up chunk was impressive. The Reign 29 geo looks more to my taste and I have no doubt I would dial in a better suspension setup on my own bike than the rental had. I'm 1.77m and would go for a medium Reign based on the reach/stack numbers, that should help keep it more agile than sizing up to a large.

The thing is the majority of my riding is blue trails (though I am gradually progressing to ride more blacks, and I can probably convince myself that I would progress faster with a more badass bike Wink ) - I don't send big gaps or kid myself that I'm a budding enduro champion, just a punter out having casual fun.

So I'm wondering, is a Reign 29 still fun and playful on blue trails? I enjoy picking lines and popping off small features on the trail more than plowing through with wheels glued to the ground.

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
the 2021 Is very well rounded, if you buy the avd 1 with the x2 you can make it feel really good depending on what you want with volume spacers,
If your looking at a 2020, put 10mm longer air shaft in it.

Not trying to put you off a reign but The marin alpine is more modern and far cheaper. The reign is due a proper update as its basically stayed the same for years.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 2:33 Quote
I wouldn’t say it’s been around unchanged for years, it’s only in it 2nd model year! It pedals very well or an “enduro” bike. I have a 2020 reign 2 29 and even though it is probably a kilo or two heavier than the bike you are interested in, I would say it is still a very playful ad fun bike even on milder trails. My bike has quite basic suspension but it feels great. It is also my first 29er in 20+ years of riding and I love it over the roots n rock gardens. I have had much higher specced bikes before but this is comparable to any that I have owned. I ride local trails mixed from short punchy flow tracks to bike parks and everything in between. The only thing it sucks on is the trail right next to my home, but it follows a river and is just about flat. Of course tyres have a big influence here to. Heavy tyres can slow a bike on mild terrain.

I’m 173 and was 95kg(now 85) when I first got the bike. it is a very solid frame even when riding hard

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
Thanks for the feedback, good info.

The one I was looking at was second hand, I decided not to buy it as it was too far away to inspect condition and I didn't want to take a gamble buying unseen.

But I'll still keep the Reign 29 on the shortlist for my next bike, it sounds like a good option if I keep progressing to rougher riding.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 15:22 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the 2021 Is very well rounded, if you buy the avd 1 with the x2 you can make it feel really good depending on what you want with volume spacers,
If your looking at a 2020, put 10mm longer air shaft in it.

Not trying to put you off a reign but The marin alpine is more modern and far cheaper. The reign is due a proper update as its basically stayed the same for years.

This is a thread for the Reign 29, which was brand new in 2020.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the 2021 Is very well rounded, if you buy the avd 1 with the x2 you can make it feel really good depending on what you want with volume spacers,
If your looking at a 2020, put 10mm longer air shaft in it.

Not trying to put you off a reign but The marin alpine is more modern and far cheaper. The reign is due a proper update as its basically stayed the same for years.

This is a thread for the Reign 29, which was brand new in 2020.
but the platform is the same.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the 2021 Is very well rounded, if you buy the avd 1 with the x2 you can make it feel really good depending on what you want with volume spacers,
If your looking at a 2020, put 10mm longer air shaft in it.

Not trying to put you off a reign but The marin alpine is more modern and far cheaper. The reign is due a proper update as its basically stayed the same for years.

This is a thread for the Reign 29, which was brand new in 2020.
but the platform is the same.

Very different. Note that the bottom of the shock is mounted to the frame on the Marin. The bottom of the shock is mounted to a second set of links on Giant’s maestro system. There is a reason “it’s basically stayed the same for years” and that’s because it works extremely well.

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
does it though? i do admit it feels good but my marin feels alot better(i have a 2021 reign avd 0)..
Funny moment though, both frames have been replaced under warranty lol.

I have nothing against the Reign and i like it too but the base platform has remain unchanged(maestro) they've changed the curve a little. in the 27.5 awhile back, the 29er is only updated to fit a 29 wheel, they needed to keep the 160mm travel from the 27.5 atleast

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 14:38 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the 2021 Is very well rounded, if you buy the avd 1 with the x2 you can make it feel really good depending on what you want with volume spacers,
If your looking at a 2020, put 10mm longer air shaft in it.

Not trying to put you off a reign but The marin alpine is more modern and far cheaper. The reign is due a proper update as its basically stayed the same for years.

This is a thread for the Reign 29, which was brand new in 2020.
but the platform is the same.

“The platform is the same” I mean except for the slack head angle, long reach, steep seat angle, chainstay length, wheel size…..

Contradicting all the poor advice you gave in response to the other poster.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
What the head angle has been the same for atleast 6 years fyi. the suspension platform is the same except a longer shock.
as i said, platform is the same no matter what way you look at it its just been tweaked, doesnt make it "good"
suggest you understand the meaning of platform before replying because as i previously said, the base platform is the same. the 29er is the same platform thats been tweaked as giant said themselves.

i suppose you think the 2021 is a new bike compared to the 2020 aswell

so, wheres the poor advice?

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
I hate to break it to you but your Marin uses the same linkage driven single pivot that every manufacturer has used since the dawn of the 4 bar linkage, so I'm not quite understanding your argument on the age of the "platform".

Dual link virtual pivot designs like Maestro and DW have been around for a very long time because they can produce a great supportive mid-stroke and high anti-squat without ruining the leverage curve or sacrificing small bump sensitivity. If you prefer a more active feeling 4 bar like your Marin that is fine as well, but it will come at the cost of rear suspension inefficiency during braking and pedaling.

There's only so many ways to design a bike, and most are much more similar than different. I'd suggest understanding the performance metrics of each and how they relate to a riders preference before giving unfounded advice.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
rialb wrote:
I hate to break it to you but your Marin uses the same linkage driven single pivot that every manufacturer has used since the dawn of the 4 bar linkage, so I'm not quite understanding your argument on the age of the "platform".

Dual link virtual pivot designs like Maestro and DW have been around for a very long time because they can produce a great supportive mid-stroke and high anti-squat without ruining the leverage curve or sacrificing small bump sensitivity. If you prefer a more active feeling 4 bar like your Marin that is fine as well, but it will come at the cost of rear suspension inefficiency during braking and pedaling.

There's only so many ways to design a bike, and most are much more similar than different. I'd suggest understanding the performance metrics of each and how they relate to a riders preference before giving unfounded advice.

you still dont get it lol. Dead Horse and you clearly dont understand suspension if you think the marin is inefficient at pedaling.
just whatever, i own many bikes because i can(sorry you cant buy them lol) and while the Reign is good, many ive ran into at trails when riding mine have called it a dinosaur lol.

I can give advice on any bike i own thanks as i can first hand compare them. two similar bikes can ride far different.
as jordi from fox said on a recent video - Bike designs are still horrible and have along way to go.

so unless you've ridden half the bikes I own to compare yourself.. then you have no facts or advice.


back on topic, dont be suprised to see the Reign get an update soon to bring it inline with other enduro bikes.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006447
Mobile Version of Website