Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
Just got the first couple rides done on mine with a Works -1.5 headset. Measured out at ~63.2 degrees with the fork at 170.

So far I am really stoked on the change. The better stability on fast tech and more bike parky stuff was noticable pretty immediately. Also felt I've been able to commit more to the front of the bike and attack harder which has been great for front grip. Haven't noticed any difference in climbing or tighter terrain.


Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 3:42 Quote
Minor dilemma with my new one... (first world problems)

To swap the carbon wheels over from my Trance (Giant TRX1 that it came with) over before I sell the Trance, or just leave the alloy wheels on the Reign?

The carbon wheels might feel a tad stiffer and peppier, but I'm leaning towards leaving the alloy wheels because I've bust a carbon rim once before and they aren't cheap to replace (not really the wheel's fault though, I kinda went half OTB and landed on the sideways front wheel putting my knee through the spokes... should have bailed sooner).

The alloy wheels might be a tad more compliant which could suit the nature of the Reign better? Hard to know until I've had time to ride it more.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Minor dilemma with my new one... (first world problems)

To swap the carbon wheels over from my Trance (Giant TRX1 that it came with) over before I sell the Trance, or just leave the alloy wheels on the Reign?

The carbon wheels might feel a tad stiffer and peppier, but I'm leaning towards leaving the alloy wheels because I've bust a carbon rim once before and they aren't cheap to replace (not really the wheel's fault though, I kinda went half OTB and landed on the sideways front wheel putting my knee through the spokes... should have bailed sooner).

The alloy wheels might be a tad more compliant which could suit the nature of the Reign better? Hard to know until I've had time to ride it more.

I’d switch to the carbon ones. My wife’s Intrigue (TranceX) came with em and I’ve been tempted to swap em over one night…. She’d never know. The aluminum rim is soft to dents.

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 17:18 Quote
Funny thing, I took the front wheels off and weighed them for a comparison.

TRX1 carbon from Trance:

2260g on my scales w/tyre etc
- 1080g (weight from internet for Bontrager SE5 29x2.6)
- 146g (weight from internet for 180mm SRAM brake rotor)
= 1034g for the rest of wheel

TR1 alloy from Reign:

2272g on my scales w/tyre etc
- 1075g (weight from internet for Minion DHF EXO+ 29x2.5)
- 192g (weight from internet for 200mm SRAM brake rotor)
= 1005g for the rest of wheel

So the alloy TR1 is actually marginally lighter than the carbon TRX1? Not what I was expecting!

I guess the TRX1 is stiffer and probably stronger, just more expensive to replace.

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
these days it's common for a carbon wheel to be up there in weight,
consider spank 359's w/VC 100 gram extra at 1120 but they are stiff asf and extremely strong and VC make them not destroy your hands, they are also cheap, alloy with the benefits of both alloy and carbon.

i highly doubt those carbons off a trance are strong - i would be on the alloys personally

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
I swapped my trx to my reign.
Also changed the hub to a dt 350.

The rims are noticeably stronger than the AM rims from the reign.
Kept the AM rims for the bike park, of which they already need truing thanks to the fatal "one more run" crash.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
Has anyone else experienced fairly regular pinch flatting with the TR1 alu rims? just picked up the 2020 for this season and I've pinched flat and ruined 2 brand new rear tires and punctured one the brand new tire in less than 10 rides. I have never had a pinch flat prior to this. I ride in the Northeast and I guess my luck has run out, I've only had a flat one other time in a decade of riding other bikes in a similar fashion. im riding 25psi-ish

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:31 Quote
Jknoxville01 wrote:
Has anyone else experienced fairly regular pinch flatting with the TR1 alu rims? just picked up the 2020 for this season and I've pinched flat and ruined 2 brand new rear tires and punctured one the brand new tire in less than 10 rides. I have never had a pinch flat prior to this. I ride in the Northeast and I guess my luck has run out, I've only had a flat one other time in a decade of riding other bikes in a similar fashion. im riding 25psi-ish

thin/sharp flanges. try heavier tires or some form of small minimal insert like a panzer or something

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Hello Guys,

I bought a new 2021 Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 2 XL size back in March this year.

I'm really happy with the bike, found it a bit too long and not nimble at first, but after riding it quite a lot I find the geo quite awesome, only manuals are quite hard to maintain because of the long CS I guess.

My only questions for you guys is that when things are getting rowdy, rear suspension is feeling kind of harsh....but the bike is butter smooth on any drop or jump that I land. It's like rear suspension is not able to handle quick hits properly.

I was thinking that the RS Deluxe Select+ could be the reason, is that it ?

Riding @ 25% SAG @ 270 PSI, I'm 190CM & 260LBS.



2021 Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 2
2021 Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 2

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
I don't know about that shock in particular, but if its repeated fast hits that get harsh it could be a sign that the rebound is set too slow and the shock is packing down into its travel rather than extending in time for the next hit. Worth trying faster rebound setting to see if that helps.

Posted: 6 hours ago Quote
Gravelben wrote:
I don't know about that shock in particular, but if its repeated fast hits that get harsh it could be a sign that the rebound is set too slow and the shock is packing down into its travel rather than extending in time for the next hit. Worth trying faster rebound setting to see if that helps.

In my experience from revalving these shocks they have a built in pack-down tune unless you have a L rebound tune, and even then it's still wacky because of the "rapid recovery" rebound (which is supposed to help with packing down, except it doesn't. Theres a reason they ditched it in their forks. Not sure why they are persisting with it. More info in vorsprung teardown)

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006525
Mobile Version of Website