Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
Author Message
Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
AmmarKhaiat wrote:
Hello
So can anyone give a conclusion about travel adjust and getting a 65mmstroke shock?
Im really considering getting a bomber cr
Can anyone tell how did it change the balance of the bike since it came with 146mm
Will i need to up my fork to 170mm ?
And if u had the regin 2 how did u like the stock shock [rockshox deluxe select +]
I got 3 tokens inside and it kinda feels harsh while charging thro rough terrain

Thanks

i did the longer stroke x2, i felt the bike lost alot of its rear end "agileness" Felt more lazy in the rear for sure.
For a park setup, sure go ahead but if you want to ride it kinda everywhere the less travel was good.
Also only works on alloy L/XL sizes is my understanding, few guys on carbons do the 62.5

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 14:30 Quote
callumjevonsmtb wrote:
Willroberts95 wrote:
callumjevonsmtb wrote:
Anyone ran a 220 or 223 rotor on the rear of the alloy Reign 29?

I'm going to be getting new galfer rotors and wasn't sure if the rear end is rated to take a 223 rotor, I have adapters that will take the 160PM to 223 but if its rated for max 203 then i'll just run that instead.

I’ve ran one for atleast a year on the carbon, I don’t think many frames will say much about 223, but I’ve had it for ages and it’s fine. No signs of stress on the mounts

Cheers that's good to hear, I ended up getting Magura 220's just need to bed them in and see how they go next week


So did u have any issues with alloy frame and 223 rotors ?

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
AmmarKhaiat wrote:
Hello
So can anyone give a conclusion about travel adjust and getting a 65mmstroke shock?
Im really considering getting a bomber cr
Can anyone tell how did it change the balance of the bike since it came with 146mm
Will i need to up my fork to 170mm ?
And if u had the regin 2 how did u like the stock shock [rockshox deluxe select +]
I got 3 tokens inside and it kinda feels harsh while charging thro rough terrain

Thanks

there's a few people have ran 65mm stroke shocks, personally from measuring it doesn't leave a comfortable amount of space between the rear triangle brace and the seat tube. I'm running a 62.5mm stroke air shock at the moment which makes ~153mm rear end and the bike feels good.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
I'm running a Float X2 at 65mm on my carbon medium. Shock-wise I find it needs to be maxed out on spacers to avoid blowing through travel but I found that was the case with it regardless of stroke. Unless you get a progressive spring, not sure if a coil at this travel would be a great idea, as the leverage curve goes flat to digressive past the stock 146mm.

I haven't had any issues with clearance and I've bottomed it very hard on some big drops in Squamish and Whistler. When I first took the spacer out I marked the bridge of the swingarm with some toothpaste and bottomed it as hard is I dared with very little air in the shock to see if I could get it to mark the seat tube. I wouldn't recommend this in the slightest but it gave me confidence that I would be alright..

I have it set up with a 170mm fork which I would recommend regardless of travel, and an angleset that puts it around 63 degrees. It's certainly less sporty feeling, but more in line with the geo and travel of the current crop of enduro bikes.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 12:50 Quote
rialb wrote:
I'm running a Float X2 at 65mm on my carbon medium. Shock-wise I find it needs to be maxed out on spacers to avoid blowing through travel but I found that was the case with it regardless of stroke. Unless you get a progressive spring, not sure if a coil at this travel would be a great idea, as the leverage curve goes flat to digressive past the stock 146mm.

I haven't had any issues with clearance and I've bottomed it very hard on some big drops in Squamish and Whistler. When I first took the spacer out I marked the bridge of the swingarm with some toothpaste and bottomed it as hard is I dared with very little air in the shock to see if I could get it to mark the seat tube. I wouldn't recommend this in the slightest but it gave me confidence that I would be alright..

I have it set up with a 170mm fork which I would recommend regardless of travel, and an angleset that puts it around 63 degrees. It's certainly less sporty feeling, but more in line with the geo and travel of the current crop of enduro bikes.

That's good to know, I wasn't aware that it started to go digressive past 146, interesting.

I tried running a 60 stroke coil for a while and while it felt planted it always made the bike feel heavy and dead at the back end even with a slightly heavier spring rate than recommended and lots of rebound, going back to air the bike was night and day difference and now its a lot more fun to ride.

I've ran 170 fork since I got the frame but I'm pushing my lyriks to 180 over the weekend as I'm planning to try and get the thing a bit more DH orientated for some racing, been toying with the idea of a Boxxer up front too.

Posted: Feb 20, 2022 at 1:46 Quote
What is you remove the spacer so that the shock is 65 mm stroke, but run the same sag in mm as before?

Meaning, 30% of 146 is 18 mm, while 30% of 65 is ~20 mm. What if you run the 65 mm stroke but 18 mm sag? Does it still feel too different because of the lack of volume spacer in there?

I really, really like the spring curve at 146 mm with the X2 and whatever tokens it brings (haven't checked). It's kind of the thing I like the most about the bike, it's progressive but not insane. At least at 220 psi that I run.

I was thinking of trying out the 65 mm thing but I wouldn't like to lose the current supportive and very agile feel.

Posted: Feb 20, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
What is you remove the spacer so that the shock is 65 mm stroke, but run the same sag in mm as before?

Meaning, 30% of 146 is 18 mm, while 30% of 65 is ~20 mm. What if you run the 65 mm stroke but 18 mm sag? Does it still feel too different because of the lack of volume spacer in there?

I really, really like the spring curve at 146 mm with the X2 and whatever tokens it brings (haven't checked). It's kind of the thing I like the most about the bike, it's progressive but not insane. At least at 220 psi that I run.
I was thinking of trying out the 65 mm thing but I wouldn't like to lose the current supportive and very agile feel.
From what I’ve heard your better off running the stroke at 62.5mm instead of 65mm. It’s safer for your frame and still feels good. I just sent my shock off to get changed to 62.5 so I’ll report back when I get a chance.

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
62.5mm 2021 x2 in mine. It’s still as you describe with your shock, supportive, plush and resists bottom out. Best rear end ive had on a bike in 20yrs of mtb.

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Did anyone try a 220 rotor in the back ?
Any issues ? Currently got 180 and im lookin to upgrade
The rotor im lookin 200m and 220 is almost same price not big difference
So i want to send it and put 220 but i dont know if it will rubb

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 16:22 Quote
AmmarKhaiat wrote:
Did anyone try a 220 rotor in the back ?
Any issues ? Currently got 180 and im lookin to upgrade
The rotor im lookin 200m and 220 is almost same price not big difference
So i want to send it and put 220 but i dont know if it will rubb

I've been running 220mm Magura MDR-P rotors front and rear on my Reign 29er and its not had any issues at all, its a bit ugly with 2 adapters to space it as I haven't got round to buying the 160-220 mount that Formula make.

Doubt it'll have any issues long term, there's plenty of clearance, the rear end seems very strong and tbh you'll lock the rear wheel before you overload the brake mount anyway.

Biggest differences I've noticed is that I get no brake fade on 3-5minute descents even using organic pads, the bite from the 2.0mm thick rotors is brilliant, however on sub-zero days here in Scotland it does take a fair bit to warm the rotors up enough for the brakes to hit full power, but once they're up to temp they just stay there and don't overheat at all.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
I'll add my opinion on the stroke length conversation...

Went the full 65mm stroke (Large Carbon frame), so far no issues with clearance and I've sent it off some big (6ft) drops. Same time bumped the fork up to 170mm. My ankles are much happier and feels like i don't smash through the travel as fast.

Setup harder to dial in though, i added another token to the shock and run it on 25% sag and it seems to retain the peppy feel. Without the token felt a bit slower as others have mentioned. Kind of makes sense as the travel spacer also takes up volume in the chamber, so if you take it out add a volume spacer.

In summary - great cheap mod, bike shop charged me $40 for labour on a 2020 shock.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
Dendens wrote:
I'll add my opinion on the stroke length conversation...

Went the full 65mm stroke (Large Carbon frame), so far no issues with clearance and I've sent it off some big (6ft) drops. Same time bumped the fork up to 170mm. My ankles are much happier and feels like i don't smash through the travel as fast.

Setup harder to dial in though, i added another token to the shock and run it on 25% sag and it seems to retain the peppy feel. Without the token felt a bit slower as others have mentioned. Kind of makes sense as the travel spacer also takes up volume in the chamber, so if you take it out add a volume spacer.

In summary - great cheap mod, bike shop charged me $40 for labour on a 2020 shock.

Yeah I had a spare shock that cost me next to nothing lying around to removed the travel spacer to make it 65 stroke to test the seatstay bridge gap, was a lot more space than I had thought from previous measuring so all was good and went full send… cut the travel spacer out of my 62.5 super deluxe, so now it’s 157 and fitted a megneg, I’ve noticed it’s still active and lively but not smashing through the travel like it did when I had the bike on 146 and even 151 rear travel, zero tokens in the shock, 2 bands in the megneg and I’m yet to bottom it out with it at ~250psi and 30% sag.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
What length droppers are people running on their Reign 29s?

I have a M adv pro 1, currently with Giant 150mm dropper but I've been finding the saddle can still feel in the way a bit on steeper stuff so I'm considering a longer dropper.

I'm 5'10" so toward the tall end for M (but L felt too long for me) and have longer legs for my height, so the post is up quite high.

From rough measuring on the outside of seat tube I think the max insertion would be around 275-280mm? but I'm being lazy and asking here instead of taking my dropper out to check.

I can slam the Giant 150mm all the way in without obstruction and Giant say 266mm insert length, so its at least that.

Running Oneup's calculator I'd be fine with their 180mm (listed at 267mm insert length), and might even get away with a 210 at my seat height (maybe shimmed to 200mm depending on the actual max insert depth in the frame) but wouldn't be able to slam the post right down for anyone with shorter legs than me to ride.

I'm leaning towards 180 as the safe option, but curious if anyone has tried a 210 in a size M frame?

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
What length droppers are people running on their Reign 29s?

I have a M adv pro 1, currently with Giant 150mm dropper but I've been finding the saddle can still feel in the way a bit on steeper stuff so I'm considering a longer dropper.

I'm 5'10" so toward the tall end for M (but L felt too long for me) and have longer legs for my height, so the post is up quite high.

From rough measuring on the outside of seat tube I think the max insertion would be around 275-280mm? but I'm being lazy and asking here instead of taking my dropper out to check.

I can slam the Giant 150mm all the way in without obstruction and Giant say 266mm insert length, so its at least that.

Running Oneup's calculator I'd be fine with their 180mm (listed at 267mm insert length), and might even get away with a 210 at my seat height (maybe shimmed to 200mm depending on the actual max insert depth in the frame) but wouldn't be able to slam the post right down for anyone with shorter legs than me to ride.

I'm leaning towards 180 as the safe option, but curious if anyone has tried a 210 in a size M frame?

The 180 definitely fits and was quite an improvement. The one thing I’d caution on the one up, it doesn’t run as smooth when it’s slammed to the collar and torqued to the seat collars spec’s. So while the 210 will likely fit, you’ll have to run it shimmed since you won’t be able slam it.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
The 180 definitely fits and was quite an improvement. The one thing I’d caution on the one up, it doesn’t run as smooth when it’s slammed to the collar and torqued to the seat collars spec’s. So while the 210 will likely fit, you’ll have to run it shimmed since you won’t be able slam it.

Cheers, good info. tup

I've been happy with 150mm drop on other bikes, I think its the steeper seat tube angle that needs a bit more drop to get the seat out of the way.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013101
Mobile Version of Website