Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
Author Message
Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 2:49 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Minor dilemma with my new one... (first world problems)

To swap the carbon wheels over from my Trance (Giant TRX1 that it came with) over before I sell the Trance, or just leave the alloy wheels on the Reign?

The carbon wheels might feel a tad stiffer and peppier, but I'm leaning towards leaving the alloy wheels because I've bust a carbon rim once before and they aren't cheap to replace (not really the wheel's fault though, I kinda went half OTB and landed on the sideways front wheel putting my knee through the spokes... should have bailed sooner).

The alloy wheels might be a tad more compliant which could suit the nature of the Reign better? Hard to know until I've had time to ride it more.

Going back to this one from last year... I'm finally getting around to selling the Trance and swapped the TRX wheels over to try on the Reign and answer my own question.

Not quite a fair comparison with different tyres on them, but enough to get an idea. DHF 2.5 / DHR2 2.4 Exo+ on the alloy wheels, SE5 2.6 / SE4 2.4 on the carbons are faster rolling than the Minions but a tad less traction.

I like it better with the carbon wheels, its not night and day different but feels a bit more precise and responsive - enough difference for a mediocre intermediate rider like me to notice. So I think I will keep the carbon wheels on the Reign and sell the Trance a bit cheaper with the alloy ones.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2022 at 16:25 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
Minor dilemma with my new one... (first world problems)

To swap the carbon wheels over from my Trance (Giant TRX1 that it came with) over before I sell the Trance, or just leave the alloy wheels on the Reign?

The carbon wheels might feel a tad stiffer and peppier, but I'm leaning towards leaving the alloy wheels because I've bust a carbon rim once before and they aren't cheap to replace (not really the wheel's fault though, I kinda went half OTB and landed on the sideways front wheel putting my knee through the spokes... should have bailed sooner).

The alloy wheels might be a tad more compliant which could suit the nature of the Reign better? Hard to know until I've had time to ride it more.

Going back to this one from last year... I'm finally getting around to selling the Trance and swapped the TRX wheels over to try on the Reign and answer my own question.

Not quite a fair comparison with different tyres on them, but enough to get an idea. DHF 2.5 / DHR2 2.4 Exo+ on the alloy wheels, SE5 2.6 / SE4 2.4 on the carbons are faster rolling than the Minions but a tad less traction.

I like it better with the carbon wheels, its not night and day different but feels a bit more precise and responsive - enough difference for a mediocre intermediate rider like me to notice. So I think I will keep the carbon wheels on the Reign and sell the Trance a bit cheaper with the alloy ones.

Sigh, I’d just decided to put off the carbon wheel purchase, sighting not enough benefit and the possibility of going MX on the next bike, but thanks for the review, go get my credit card.

Seriously though nice to hear, a noticeable difference for a mediocre immediate rider. (We need to find a cooler name for our category of skills)

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
What length droppers are people running on their Reign 29s?

I have a M adv pro 1, currently with Giant 150mm dropper but I've been finding the saddle can still feel in the way a bit on steeper stuff so I'm considering a longer dropper.

I'm 5'10" so toward the tall end for M (but L felt too long for me) and have longer legs for my height, so the post is up quite high.

From rough measuring on the outside of seat tube I think the max insertion would be around 275-280mm? but I'm being lazy and asking here instead of taking my dropper out to check.

I can slam the Giant 150mm all the way in without obstruction and Giant say 266mm insert length, so its at least that.

Running Oneup's calculator I'd be fine with their 180mm (listed at 267mm insert length), and might even get away with a 210 at my seat height (maybe shimmed to 200mm depending on the actual max insert depth in the frame) but wouldn't be able to slam the post right down for anyone with shorter legs than me to ride.

I'm leaning towards 180 as the safe option, but curious if anyone has tried a 210 in a size M frame?


I have the same bike as you and just put a 210mm oneup in mine. it is slammed all the way and shimmed down to 190mm for my short legs, but the saddle height ended up perfect for me.

Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 6:22 Quote
I’ve got a toddler and my time to mess w the bike has depleted to minutes at a time so I need some knowledge. I’m trying to get it ready for the season and for the life of me I cannot remove the crankset. I’ve got a 2020 adv pro 1 w the truvativ descendent 6k alloy cranks. My experience w eagle based cranks on a previous bike the drive crank would basically fall off after removing the Allen bolt. I assume at this point I need a tool or the cranks have become one. Ive tried tapping w a rubber mallet and my black park tool crank remover is too small for the threads.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
Jknoxville01 wrote:
I’ve got a toddler and my time to mess w the bike has depleted to minutes at a time so I need some knowledge. I’m trying to get it ready for the season and for the life of me I cannot remove the crankset. I’ve got a 2020 adv pro 1 w the truvativ descendent 6k alloy cranks. My experience w eagle based cranks on a previous bike the drive crank would basically fall off after removing the Allen bolt. I assume at this point I need a tool or the cranks have become one. Ive tried tapping w a rubber mallet and my black park tool crank remover is too small for the threads.

I’ve only removed them once, recently (same bike) and had to “tap” far harder than I was comfortable with, but they came out eventually. Disconcerting until it actually came off, so you’re probably on the right track, just need to keep on keep in’ on.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 15:47 Quote
desertfox2 wrote:
I have the same bike as you and just put a 210mm oneup in mine. it is slammed all the way and shimmed down to 190mm for my short legs, but the saddle height ended up perfect for me.

Cheers, good to know there is room in the frame to slam the 210!

For my saddle height the 210 would probably still be 20-30mm up from the clamp, so it should work fine for me.

My only other concern was flex and durability with such a long extension on a 30.9 (and my 106kg sitting on it), any experience there?

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 1:43 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
desertfox2 wrote:
I have the same bike as you and just put a 210mm oneup in mine. it is slammed all the way and shimmed down to 190mm for my short legs, but the saddle height ended up perfect for me.

Cheers, good to know there is room in the frame to slam the 210!

For my saddle height the 210 would probably still be 20-30mm up from the clamp, so it should work fine for me.

My only other concern was flex and durability with such a long extension on a 30.9 (and my 106kg sitting on it), any experience there?

I ride a 210 full extended since release with abaout 100-105 kg with no problems.

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
Same - been going 3 years strong on a oneup 210 with no issues. Stanchion is in perfect shape.

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 13:33 Quote
Excellent, thanks Smile

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 1:02 Quote
OneUp 210mm bought and fitted, pretty good fit for my seat height! Beer


Its a little sluggish coming up the last inch or two, but probably just needs to wear in a bit.

Interestingly (or not) the OneUp 210 is practically identical to the Giant 150 dropper for weight, only 2g difference on my scales.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
OneUp 210mm bought and fitted, pretty good fit for my seat height! Beer


Its a little sluggish coming up the last inch or two, but probably just needs to wear in a bit.

Interestingly (or not) the OneUp 210 is practically identical to the Giant 150 dropper for weight, only 2g difference on my scales.

Loosen off the seat clamp bolts by a ft/lb, should get rid of that sluggish last inch.

They’re finicky.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
OneUp 210mm bought and fitted, pretty good fit for my seat height! Beer


Its a little sluggish coming up the last inch or two, but probably just needs to wear in a bit.

Interestingly (or not) the OneUp 210 is practically identical to the Giant 150 dropper for weight, only 2g difference on my scales.
What Size on your Frame?

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
Size M.

The 210 can fully insert in the frame, its set for my seat height in the photos not limited by insertion.

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 5:27 Quote
Hey,

Could someone please tell me the size of all Reign 29' bearings ? I have the alu version, but I assume they are the same for carbon.

Are they still the same size as 2018+ 27,5 version (6902 x 2;6802 x 4;6900 x 6) ?

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
gurthang69 wrote:
Hey,

Could someone please tell me the size of all Reign 29' bearings ? I have the alu version, but I assume they are the same for carbon.

Are they still the same size as 2018+ 27,5 version (6902 x 2;6802 x 4;6900 x 6) ?

Yeah so you need the same as before, as you listed 2x6902, 6x6900, 4x6802.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010480
Mobile Version of Website