Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 0:44 Quote
I have a aluminum Reign 29 with a custom tuned 62.5mm SuperDeluxe shock and I do really have problems using travel at 30% sag with 200 psi.
I already removed all volume spacers but cant get the shock to go over 60mm compression.

Going up or down a couple of PSI seems to influence sag highly, so i would not like to go down further with air pressure.

I am wondering if a MEGNEG would improve this, as it is supposed to strongly influence middle stroke.

Does anyone use a MEGNEG with the Reign29 and how are the results.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 2:36 Quote
The new Reign 29er is around the corner:

photo

https://bikerumor.com/spotted-prototype-giant-enduro-bike-at-ews-tweed-valley/

It has:

SWAT Box
no weird headset routing
flipchip

hopefully a size between 455 and 490 reach
hopefully more rear travel

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
JohSch wrote:

photo

It has:

SWAT Box
no weird headset routing
flipchip

Full 29? I’m hedging my bets between the Reign being one model mullet. Or whether Giant goes 29 and mullet.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 12:15 Quote
I really hope you are right. I am still riding my 2016 reign (2-3x per week) and am more than impressed how long it has lasted. I came from a downhill bike (Kona Operator) before that which was on a replacement frame due to cracking. Just want 160-170mm travel with full 29er and updated geometry.

JohSch wrote:

photo

It has:

SWAT Box
no weird headset routing
flipchip

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 14:35 Quote
Kamperk87 wrote:
. Just want 160-170mm travel with full 29er and updated geometry.]

So did I. So I sold and bought a Megatower

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 16:24 Quote
I figured they would go longer travel with the next Reign as the Trance X is pretty close to the current one, and it probably doesn't have enough to really be competitive in EWS etc.

I'm glad I got the 2020 though, I don't hit stuff big enough to need more travel - to be fair I think I would have been just as happy with a Trance X, if the Reign 29 was 160mm I would have gone for the Trance X instead.

A size in between the current M and L would be great though, I'm 5'10" and always in that gap.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
I figured they would go longer travel with the next Reign as the Trance X is pretty close to the current one, and it probably doesn't have enough to really be competitive in EWS etc.

I'm glad I got the 2020 though, I don't hit stuff big enough to need more travel - to be fair I think I would have been just as happy with a Trance X, if the Reign 29 was 160mm I would have gone for the Trance X instead.

A size in between the current M and L would be great though, I'm 5'10" and always in that gap.

You can just make the Reign 29 into a 160mm rear end anyway but sticking a 205x65 shock into it or removing the travel spacer from a 205x60.

It's how I've had mine and it rides great, I'm selling the frame now though as I've come to the conclusion the Large is too big and I should have bought the medium Frown

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 15:55 Quote
callumjevonsmtb wrote:
You can just make the Reign 29 into a 160mm rear end anyway but sticking a 205x65 shock into it or removing the travel spacer from a 205x60.

It's how I've had mine and it rides great, I'm selling the frame now though as I've come to the conclusion the Large is too big and I should have bought the medium Frown

Interesting, there must be some reason they didn't do that for production though? What happens to leverage rates etc in the extra travel, does it ramp up or blow through it?

I'm glad I was able to at least carpark test the M and L sizing before buying mine, L felt too big straight away which made the size choice easier. Sizing would have been much more of a gamble otherwise.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
callumjevonsmtb wrote:

Interesting, there must be some reason they didn't do that for production though? What happens to leverage rates etc in the extra travel, does it ramp up or blow through it?

I'm glad I was able to at least carpark test the M and L sizing before buying mine, L felt too big straight away which made the size choice easier. Sizing would have been much more of a gamble otherwise.

My shop won’t do it. And recommended against it especially for anything smaller than large.

The Reign is under travelled in the back compared to its competitor class and if Giant could have made it a 155-160 they probably would have. As it was they went 146 not even 150mm. So there has to be trade offs (that Giant wasn’t willing to make)

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
Gravelben wrote:

I think they just didn't want the smaller frames to have less travel.

Linkage Design shows the leverage increasing slightly from around 135mm but I doubt it's enough for anyone to notice, particularly with an air shock.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 2:38 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
callumjevonsmtb wrote:

My shop won’t do it. And recommended against it especially for anything smaller than large.

The Reign is under travelled in the back compared to its competitor class and if Giant could have made it a 155-160 they probably would have. As it was they went 146 not even 150mm. So there has to be trade offs (that Giant wasn’t willing to make)

A shop will likely never do it, because manufacturers only want you to run what they spec the frame for, for warranty reasons.

I had no warranty with it being a frame I bought off here and Giant don't transfer the warranty, so it was fair game for me.

On the other hand, every frame size should be able to go to 160, the only deciding factor is the seat-stay bridge - which is in the same place on every frame as far as I am aware (Giant uses the same rear triangle on all sizes).

When I measured mine up, 205x65 shock with no air, slammed on bottom out with my 85kg on it, the clearance was still like 10-15mm, which is more than enough, and there's never been any contact.

The reasons Giant didn't do it is because smaller sizes would have the tyre hitting the saddle, and due to suspension kinematics, on paper anyway, the shock gets easier to bottom out once you go past 146mm on the 29er.

Personally I haven't really noticed any downsides, at 146 I could definitely feel the bike packing down into multiple big hits as it bottomed out, but with it at 160 I've stopped noticing that, and I've still bottomed it out, it just seems less harsh to the point where you don't notice it.

If Giant make a Mullet Reign my guess is that its literally just going to be a 27.5 Reign SX back end with 160mm mated to the 29er front triangle with some minor tweaks, not necessarily a bad thing but it begs the question why they didn't just do that to start with, as mullet bikes were already a thing well before 2020.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 4:12 Quote
callumjevonsmtb wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:
Gravelben wrote:

A shop will likely never do it, because manufacturers only want you to run what they spec the frame for, for warranty reasons.

I had no warranty with it being a frame I bought off here and Giant don't transfer the warranty, so it was fair game for me.

On the other hand, every frame size should be able to go to 160, the only deciding factor is the seat-stay bridge - which is in the same place on every frame as far as I am aware (Giant uses the same rear triangle on all sizes).

When I measured mine up, 205x65 shock with no air, slammed on bottom out with my 85kg on it, the clearance was still like 10-15mm, which is more than enough, and there's never been any contact.

The reasons Giant didn't do it is because smaller sizes would have the tyre hitting the saddle, and due to suspension kinematics, on paper anyway, the shock gets easier to bottom out once you go past 146mm on the 29er.

Personally I haven't really noticed any downsides, at 146 I could definitely feel the bike packing down into multiple big hits as it bottomed out, but with it at 160 I've stopped noticing that, and I've still bottomed it out, it just seems less harsh to the point where you don't notice it.

If Giant make a Mullet Reign my guess is that its literally just going to be a 27.5 Reign SX back end with 160mm mated to the 29er front triangle with some minor tweaks, not necessarily a bad thing but it begs the question why they didn't just do that to start with, as mullet bikes were already a thing well before 2020.
Is your frame carbon or aluminum?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 4:35 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
callumjevonsmtb wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:

Is your frame carbon or aluminum?

Mine is the alloy frame.

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 15:06 Quote
Hei
I am new in the 29“ Giant Reign game. Actually i think about the rear shock. Which Rear Shock seems to run best with the Giant Reign 29“ 2020 rear?
Are there „this is the best one“ shocks for this frame? Are there no go ´s (hihi, in Austria: not the yellow from the egg)?

Thx for your help so far

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 21:16 Quote
Hi
Did anyone try to adjust the head angle ? I wonder if there is a headset kit

"I really dont u derstand much in headsets"
I have a 29er and i jjst want to make it a degree slacker

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010824
Mobile Version of Website