Giant Reign 29er 2020

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 29er 2020
Author Message
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
TommyKnocker wrote:
well I have conclusions to everyone who waanna chage the travel of their giants, i did it and it is enough room to take out the 5mm spacer, it still like 5mm free when i am seated on the bike fully compressed with out any air inside. no issues at all.. mine is the reing advanced pro 1 with the X2... thanks for the pioneers for doing that the first time hahahaha, bike suspension was good enough but with 157 mm rear travel sure will be better.

That’s good to know. Is there any instructions or videos on how to remove the 5mm spacer from the X2 shock? I realize the dhx2 is a bit simpler than the air shock.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
@jason114 and @TommyKnocker
I am not 100% sure, but I have an impression, that you don't understand the difference between travel spacer and rubber bumper.
Travel spacer sets travel value. Theoretical maximum travel you can get from the shock.
Rubber bumper protects parts of shocks from colliding.

You can't get full travel shock if you just seat on the bike with air shock w/o air or coil shock w/o coil. You simply cannot generate force to use 100% of shock's travel.
You might be able to do this if you huck to flat from 1,5-2m drop. And even though, you think you got full travel, it's just rubber bumper doing it's job.
If you managed to get 100% of the travel just by compressing shock with the weight of your body, bouncing on the seat, you would easily damage the shock.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page683-9LHC/IMG_9728-m.jpg

My idea to check if you can use 62,5 or 65mm travel shock if to unbolt top mount, deduct 62,5 or 65 from shock's length (205-62,5=142,5 or 205-65=140), set one of these values on caliper and start lowering the frame gently, until you get to this value between center-to-center of shock mounting bolts.

If you reach 142,5mm or even 140mm and still have 10mm of space between rear end bridge and ST, you may try to ride the bike with longer travel shock.
If you get like 3mm, you will likly end up with damaged frame.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
frango wrote:
@jason114 and @TommyKnocker
I am not 100% sure, but I have an impression, that you don't understand the difference between travel spacer and rubber bumper.
Travel spacer sets travel value. Theoretical maximum travel you can get from the shock.
Rubber bumper protects parts of shocks from colliding.

You can't get full travel shock if you just seat on the bike with air shock w/o air or coil shock w/o coil. You simply cannot generate force to use 100% of shock's travel.
You might be able to do this if you huck to flat from 1,5-2m drop. And even though, you think you got full travel, it's just rubber bumper doing it's job.
If you managed to get 100% of the travel just by compressing shock with the weight of your body, bouncing on the seat, you would easily damage the shock.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page683-9LHC/IMG_9728-m.jpg

My idea to check if you can use 62,5 or 65mm travel shock if to unbolt top mount, deduct 62,5 or 65 from shock's length (205-62,5=142,5 or 205-65=140), set one of these values on caliper and start lowering the frame gently, until you get to this value between center-to-center of shock mounting bolts.

If you reach 142,5mm or even 140mm and still have 10mm of space between rear end bridge and ST, you may try to ride the bike with longer travel shock.
If you get like 3mm, you will likly end up with damaged frame.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying and I also posted earlier say to pull the shock and measure the complete collapsed measurement of the shock which like you stated is 140mm.

On my bike, measuring from center of bottom mount to center of top mount at 140mm I still have 3-4mm clearance. So like I said in an earlier post unless I need or break something it will work fine.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 23:26 Quote
Maybe, but Wink
3-4mm is too tight, IMO.
Take frame flex into consideration and you will end up with dented frame.
Yet, aluminium frame design and shape seem to be that much different, that you may get way with 62,5mm travel shock.

However, carbon frame seem to have "thicker" frame walls and even maybe different bridge shape.
I took my bare frame out of box, yesterday night and simulated use of 62,5mm travel shock.
There is just 5mm gap between ST and bridge.
Despite the fact, I'd love to have more travel in my new bike, I will not risk damaging the frame...




Posted: May 12, 2020 at 0:20 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
TommyKnocker wrote:
well I have conclusions to everyone who waanna chage the travel of their giants, i did it and it is enough room to take out the 5mm spacer, it still like 5mm free when i am seated on the bike fully compressed with out any air inside. no issues at all.. mine is the reing advanced pro 1 with the X2... thanks for the pioneers for doing that the first time hahahaha, bike suspension was good enough but with 157 mm rear travel sure will be better.

That’s good to know. Is there any instructions or videos on how to remove the 5mm spacer from the X2 shock? I realize the dhx2 is a bit simpler than the air shock.
very simple, I was with the mecanic and I saw all the steps, the only problem is the tool requeried, you need a shaft clamp 9mm, to fix it at when you have to quit the bottom cap to extract the ring.... the rest is very very simple

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 0:26 Quote
TommyKnocker wrote:
Dougdirt wrote:
TommyKnocker wrote:
well I have conclusions to everyone who waanna chage the travel of their giants, i did it and it is enough room to take out the 5mm spacer, it still like 5mm free when i am seated on the bike fully compressed with out any air inside. no issues at all.. mine is the reing advanced pro 1 with the X2... thanks for the pioneers for doing that the first time hahahaha, bike suspension was good enough but with 157 mm rear travel sure will be better.

That’s good to know. Is there any instructions or videos on how to remove the 5mm spacer from the X2 shock? I realize the dhx2 is a bit simpler than the air shock.
very simple, I was with the mecanic and I saw all the steps, the only problem is the tool requeried, you need a shaft clamp 9mm, to fix it at when you have to quit the bottom cap to extract the ring.... the rest is very very simple

dot worry about the room it will have, its enough, i did it with no air inside me seated with my all weight 85 kg and the shock was compressed at the final when you realized there is nothing between both parts of it i dont know if i explain myself well, next step will be to break the carbon frame, imposible that it touchs, if that happens is because your frame have broken, so dont worry, for sure is a very good changing for the reing...

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 0:30 Quote
the gear ratio does not advance as much in that part of the frame. You can take the 65mm measurement, but you still have a lot left. anyway you have allready get your brand new bike, use it a few days and you will see that you are going to stay very very far from the final travel, the bike is very very progressive, in the end it becomes hard and stays far from the end unless that you leave it very plush.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
jason114 wrote:
TommyKnocker wrote:
jason114 wrote:
Easy way to figure out how much clearance you will have with 65mm stroke is the unbolt the trunnion mounts and measure center of bottom mount to center of top mount at 140mm (total compressed length of the shock) and then check seat tube to seat stay bridge clearance. I measured mine at just over 3mm, so unless I bent or break something then everything will clear fine.

jason you say before the rubber at the bottom out its different if the shock has 62,5 than 65 than 60 mm in a coil shock?? i have another bike and i am gonna put a coil shock on it.. but it is 62,5 not 65 what i need...

Sorry it's Little difficult to understand your question but I try to give an answer. The bottom out bumper on the dhx2 are all the same no matter the stroke length. The only thing that changes between 60mm 62.5mm and 65mm stroke shocks is the thickness of the spacer that is under the bumper or on the 65mm stroke no spacer.

Thank you, you understood me very well. thats what i need to know.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
frango wrote:
Maybe, but Wink
3-4mm is too tight, IMO.
Take frame flex into consideration and you will end up with dented frame.
Yet, aluminium frame design and shape seem to be that much different, that you may get way with 62,5mm travel shock.

However, carbon frame seem to have "thicker" frame walls and even maybe different bridge shape.
I took my bare frame out of box, yesterday night and simulated use of 62,5mm travel shock.
There is just 5mm gap between ST and bridge.
Despite the fact, I'd love to have more travel in my new bike, I will not risk damaging the frame...




One thing you have to remember is that to get the full 65mm of shock stroke would mean I have to compress my 1cm thick bottom out bumper 100% which is impossible. So I actually have more frame clearance at full bottom out anyway.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
jason114 wrote:
One thing you have to remember is that to get the full 65mm of shock stroke would mean I have to compress my 1cm thick bottom out bumper 100% which is impossible. So I actually have more frame clearance at full bottom out anyway.

So, remove rubber bumper from your Fox shock and squeeze it in vice. You will see that you can easily compress it to 1/3 or even 1/4 of it's initial length.
I went to my company susspension ingeneer, we took Ohlins rubber bumper, which is 20mm high and we compressed it to 5mm.
Forces generated during riding is much bigger that we apllied.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
I think guys that with two tokens inside I am rarely going to get all the travel hiting the bottom out or at least not so hard like to finish off those 5mm that I have margin until hitting the rear bridge. but in the case that I realize that I did I will put more air inside the shock. now here its raining a lot, but when it gets dry I will do the test it and if something is going wrong i will tell it here

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
frango wrote:
jason114 wrote:
One thing you have to remember is that to get the full 65mm of shock stroke would mean I have to compress my 1cm thick bottom out bumper 100% which is impossible. So I actually have more frame clearance at full bottom out anyway.

So, remove rubber bumper from your Fox shock and squeeze it in vice. You will see that you can easily compress it to 1/3 or even 1/4 of it's initial length.
I went to my company susspension ingeneer, we took Ohlins rubber bumper, which is 20mm high and we compressed it to 5mm.
Forces generated during riding is much bigger that we apllied.
yes thats in your shock cause its a coil shock, I saw mine inside and that bottom out bumper its just a medium hard plastic and the size is about 2cm maybe more, but trust me i can compress the shock allways without air inside and seated on the bike until the end of the X2 touch the aluminium inside. but even in that case, i still have 5mm of free space to the rear bridge. it has to be a very hard bottom out to touching each other both parts of the frame, before that happens for sure the frame had broken in the part its fixed to hte frame or to the link.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
frango wrote:
jason114 wrote:
One thing you have to remember is that to get the full 65mm of shock stroke would mean I have to compress my 1cm thick bottom out bumper 100% which is impossible. So I actually have more frame clearance at full bottom out anyway.

So, remove rubber bumper from your Fox shock and squeeze it in vice. You will see that you can easily compress it to 1/3 or even 1/4 of it's initial length.
I went to my company susspension ingeneer, we took Ohlins rubber bumper, which is 20mm high and we compressed it to 5mm.
Forces generated during riding is much bigger that we apllied.

Yeah I realize that but not being able to compress the rubber completely only gives me more clearance.

I also have been riding my bike at 65mm shock stroke for just over a month now and hit the bottom out bumper a few times every ride and no contact yet. At 220lbs and very aggressive in the top 5% of Strava times on my local trails with a few koms I think if it was going to hit it would of already.

In a side note I have stripped 3 freehub bodies on this bike so far, on my last bike a bent a bb30 spindle and bent a renthal alloy handle bar. My bikes get abused haha

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
jason114 wrote:
frango wrote:
jason114 wrote:
One thing you have to remember is that to get the full 65mm of shock stroke would mean I have to compress my 1cm thick bottom out bumper 100% which is impossible. So I actually have more frame clearance at full bottom out anyway.

So, remove rubber bumper from your Fox shock and squeeze it in vice. You will see that you can easily compress it to 1/3 or even 1/4 of it's initial length.
I went to my company susspension ingeneer, we took Ohlins rubber bumper, which is 20mm high and we compressed it to 5mm.

Forces generated during riding is much bigger that we apllied.

Yeah I realize that but not being able to compress the rubber completely only gives me more clearance.

I also have been riding my bike at 65mm shock stroke for just over a month now and hit the bottom out bumper a few times every ride and no contact yet. At 220lbs and very aggressive in the top 5% of Strava times on my local trails with a few koms I think if it was going to hit it would of already.

In a side note I have stripped 3 freehub bodies on this bike so far, on my last bike a bent a bb30 spindle and bent a rental alloy handle bar. My bikes get abused haha

Jason I was wondering how many travel spacers the stock shock has. Is it just one 5mm spacer or is it 2 2.5mm spacers?

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 14:36 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
jason114 wrote:
frango wrote:


So, remove rubber bumper from your Fox shock and squeeze it in vice. You will see that you can easily compress it to 1/3 or even 1/4 of it's initial length.
I went to my company susspension ingeneer, we took Ohlins rubber bumper, which is 20mm high and we compressed it to 5mm.

Forces generated during riding is much bigger that we apllied.

Yeah I realize that but not being able to compress the rubber completely only gives me more clearance.

I also have been riding my bike at 65mm shock stroke for just over a month now and hit the bottom out bumper a few times every ride and no contact yet. At 220lbs and very aggressive in the top 5% of Strava times on my local trails with a few koms I think if it was going to hit it would of already.

In a side note I have stripped 3 freehub bodies on this bike so far, on my last bike a bent a bb30 spindle and bent a rental alloy handle bar. My bikes get abused haha

Jason I was wondering how many travel spacers the stock shock has. Is it just one 5mm spacer or is it 2 2.5mm spacers?

One 5mm spacer on the stock shock.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010451
Mobile Version of Website