Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
I did not see a general Kona Process 153 thread so I thought I would start one up. Post your 153 pictures and let's have a discussion about this awesome bike.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
I will start it off with a photo my process to get things going. I was riding a Transition Patrol before this but wanted something lighter that climbed better but still went downhill really well. Much to my surprise, the process 153 descends just as well as the Patrol but accelerates so much faster when you stomp on it.

2019 Kona Process 153 CR

photo

As a new Kona convert, would love to see pics of your bikes and hear your impressions.

Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
It is my first time to buy a full suspension bike Kona Process 153 AL 27.5 2020. Hopefully i didn't go wrong with this choice. I researched about this bike for a long period and i believe it suits me. I previously owned a hardtail Dartmoor hornet since 2015 and thought that it's about time to have a FS bike... I don't really mind about the weight as long as i can have fun riding My bike...

What're your thoughts for those who have owned a Kona process 153? And any suggestions on how to setup this RIG? Would it be possible alse to have a coil suspension on the back and bump the front to 170mm travel fork? TIA

Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
aaronglenn wrote:
It is my first time to buy a full suspension bike Kona Process 153 AL 27.5 2020. Hopefully i didn't go wrong with this choice. I researched about this bike for a long period and i believe it suits me. I previously owned a hardtail Dartmoor hornet since 2015 and thought that it's about time to have a FS bike... I don't really mind about the weight as long as i can have fun riding My bike...

What're your thoughts for those who have owned a Kona process 153? And any suggestions on how to setup this RIG? Would it be possible alse to have a coil suspension on the back and bump the front to 170mm travel fork? TIA

I have a 2019 Process 153 with the rockshox Lyric up front and the Super deluxe rear shock. I am running 30% sag on the rear shock and 25% on the front shock for chunky enduro riding with the high speed rebound almost all the way open. This configuration works really well for my type of riding.

You can get a coil shock for the rear, but they are hard to find in the right size.I think it originally comes with a 205 x 60 air shock. I did read that some riders had found that a 205 x 62.5 coil worked on the process. Extending the fork to 170 depends on the specific fork you have. If you have a fork that will go to 170, it is a pretty cheap and easy thing to do.

If you really want a coil in the back and 170 up front, you might look at the Kona Process 165 that comes equipped with a coil shock and a 170 fork.

Good luck with the bike, I have owned a number of really good all mountain and enduro bikes but the Kona 153 is the only bike I have found that fits me really well and performs just the way I was hoping. I was looking for a very specific feel on the bike and the process 153 fulfilled that for me. It is the only bike I have found that pedals really well but is also a ripper on the advanced enduro trails. It is super fun to ride and pops over everything while staying really stable. Bike jumps and hucks superbly as well.

Before you extend the fork, really ride it on some rough stuff, big drops and jumps. You might be surprised by how it handles them and not find a need to extend the fork. I came off a Transition Patrol that had 170mm travel in the fork and the Process takes big stuff on just as well as the Patrol with the 160mm fork.

Good luck keep me posted as I love to learn what others are doing with their bikes.

Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

I have a 2019 Process 153 with the rockshox Lyric up front and the Super deluxe rear shock. I am running 30% sag on the rear shock and 25% on the front shock for chunky enduro riding with the high speed rebound almost all the way open. This configuration works really well for my type of riding.

You can get a coil shock for the rear, but they are hard to find in the right size.I think it originally comes with a 205 x 60 air shock. I did read that some riders had found that a 205 x 62.5 coil worked on the process. Extending the fork to 170 depends on the specific fork you have. If you have a fork that will go to 170, it is a pretty cheap and easy thing to do.

If you really want a coil in the back and 170 up front, you might look at the Kona Process 165 that comes equipped with a coil shock and a 170 fork.

Good luck with the bike, I have owned a number of really good all mountain and enduro bikes but the Kona 153 is the only bike I have found that fits me really well and performs just the way I was hoping. I was looking for a very specific feel on the bike and the process 153 fulfilled that for me. It is the only bike I have found that pedals really well but is also a ripper on the advanced enduro trails. It is super fun to ride and pops over everything while staying really stable. Bike jumps and hucks superbly as well.

Before you extend the fork, really ride it on some rough stuff, big drops and jumps. You might be surprised by how it handles them and not find a need to extend the fork. I came off a Transition Patrol that had 170mm travel in the fork and the Process takes big stuff on just as well as the Patrol with the 160mm fork.

Good luck keep me posted as I love to learn what others are doing with their bikes.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will be testing it next week as to how i feel about it. I'll be posting my comment soon... I believe kona process 153 is a really Grand bike and i can't wait for it to arrive...

Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
aaronglenn wrote:

Here is a link to the Kona Process 165 that I referred to above:

http://2018.konaworld.com/process_165.cfm

Pretty good deal at $3,399 USD

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 2:36 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

Here is a link to the Kona Process 165 that I referred to above:

http://2018.konaworld.com/process_165.cfm

Pretty good deal at $3,399 USD

I'll just stick with the 153 and see how it goes... By the way i am a 5'4 and got the medium frame how's the stand over height of the process?

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
aaronglenn wrote:

2020? They are not yet on their site, but must be soon I guess, new lineup showing slowly. Personally love my 2018 153 AL 27,5. Starting to feel accustomed to it and having lot of fun.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
okidou wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

2020? They are not yet on their site, but must be soon I guess, new lineup showing slowly. Personally love my 2018 153 AL 27,5. Starting to feel accustomed to it and having lot of fun.

Yes i am gettig a 2020 model there are 4 bikes released in europe(pre-released) last july 30 and it only comes in one color which is the lime green(avocado)... Only distributors can access the website of Kona's admin page...

Hopefully i will fall inlove with it the way you do..

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
I'll just stick with the 153 and see how it goes... By the way i am a 5'4 and got the medium frame how's the stand over height of the process?[/Quote]

You should be ok with the standover height, all the frames sizes have a standover height of 701 mm or 27.6 inches. The medium has a reach of 450mm which should feel very roomy for you and give you lots of space to move on the bike and throw it around.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
okidou wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

I am having the same experience on a 2019 153 CR 27.5 that I just got. This bike displays a unique combination of being nimble and yet planted at the same time. It is really playful but still descends really great when pointed down into the rough enduro tracks. What really surprised me is just how good it climbs in the open position. The suspension platform is really supportive while climbing while still giving a ton of traction through the technical sections. It climbs well through technical sections and pops over obstacles really well due to the short chainstays. It also corners great as the long reach really allows me to throw the bike around which makes it corner like a beast. Probably the best overall bike I have ever ridden as it does all things really well.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
okidou wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

I am having the same experience on a 2019 153 CR 27.5 that I just got. This bike displays a unique combination of being nimble and yet planted at the same time. It is really playful but still descends really great when pointed down into the rough enduro tracks. What really surprised me is just how good it climbs in the open position. The suspension platform is really supportive while climbing while still giving a ton of traction through the technical sections. It climbs well through technical sections and pops over obstacles really well due to the short chainstays. It also corners great as the long reach really allows me to throw the bike around which makes it corner like a beast. Probably the best overall bike I have ever ridden as it does all things really well.

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
I am discovering that this Kona Process 153 is such a underrated and underhyped bike. Took it out on some of the downhill runs at Vail today and this thing just handles it all. Really getting so many pleasant surprises out of this bike. The Rockshox Lyric fork and Superdeluxe shock suspension platform performs amazing on this Kona.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
looks like im late to the party:

My 2018 153 27.5 AL. Really like the paint actually:

My bike

Upgrades:

Saint brakes
Charger 2 RCT3 damper in the yari (yarik?)
Hope tech enduro front wheel - rear wheel to come soon
Charge spoon "leather" seat
Minion DHF skin walls 2.3" front and rear
Sram Gx derailleur (11spd - none of that gimmicky gx eagle stuff)
Sram x1 chain
DMR death grips
Bontrager underbar dropper lever

Love the way the bike rides, have had it for about 6 months (bought it slightly used). A bit heavy but once it gets going its the dream, still plenty poppy and playful and very jumpable. And not too bad at jibbing either! Let's see some of your bikes! Anyone know where to get a fitting top headset bearing btw?

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
looks like im late to the party:

Love the way the bike rides, have had it for about 6 months (bought it slightly used). A bit heavy but once it gets going its the dream, still plenty poppy and playful and very jumpable. And not too bad at jibbing either! Let's see some of your bikes! Anyone know where to get a fitting top headset bearing btw?

Now that's the way to come to the party, love seeing a bike as it should look, ridden hard and dirty. Nice upgrades as well.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009810
Mobile Version of Website