Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 2:57 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
HardingO wrote:
Hi all,

Classic in between sizes post.

I’m 5’11 and could fit a M / L / XL according to Kona’ website. Anyone in here a similar height and able to shed some light on which size I should go for?

I’m leading towards the L as I’m not keen on the M. I can get a great deal on an XL but concerned it may be too big

As @eshew said, there are a lot of ways to customize the fit. I'm 6' or 6'1" on a good day and ride a large with a 170mm fork, 35mm stem and 30mm rise handlebars and it is incredibly comfortable climbing, as well as stable in descents.

Thanks all; I think Large will be best for me - I’ll have room to play around with stem lengths etc to fine tune fit.

Any UK based Process owners looking to sell theirs, please give me a shout!

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 11:51 Quote
HardingO wrote:
mwolpin wrote:
HardingO wrote:
Hi all,

I’m 5’11 and could fit a M / L / XL according to Kona’ website. Anyone in here a similar height and able to shed some light on which size I should go for?

I’m leading towards the L as I’m not keen on the M. I can get a great deal on an XL but concerned it may be too big

As @eshew said, there are a lot of ways to customize the fit. I'm 6' or 6'1" on a good day and ride a large with a 170mm fork, 35mm stem and 30mm rise handlebars and it is incredibly comfortable climbing, as well as stable in descents.

Thanks all; I think Large will be best for me - I’ll have room to play around with stem lengths etc to fine tune fit.

Im shorter than you, about 175 so 5'7" or 5'8" and ride a large process 153. I just like the longer reach, so you'd probably be best on a large or even x large.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
HardingO wrote:
mwolpin wrote:

Im shorter than you, about 175 so 5'7" or 5'8" and ride a large process 153. I just like the longer reach, so you'd probably be best on a large or even x large.

Dang. I’m 6ft and on a medium. Lol. I like small bikes though. More snappy

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
At 5'7" I find my medium large enough.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 21:19 Quote
okidou wrote:
At 5'7" I find my medium large enough.

Yeah personal preference, I can't put my dropper all the way up Razz but like the long reach

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
I have a 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5. fully custom semi-budget build.
I'm 5'11.5" - 165lbs with gear. I do 85% bike park 15% trails/pedaling up (mostly when nearby chairlifts are closed).
I don't want a DH bike, I feel happier on a shorter travel livelier/snappier bike.

I got the frame late in the season last year and was able to use it for ~400 kms.
Which lead to the following changes I'm making during the off season: (the biggest annoyance I had was the shock/frame not being progressive enough)
--1 degree works components angleset
-Increase fork travel from 160 to 170mm with 3 tokens
-Change air can to megneg with 1 gnardog spacer (I will have extra "normal" spacers and spacers for the negative chamber to play with)
These changes should result in the head tube angle going from 66 to a bit less than 65 with increased bottom out support in both suspensions.

Full build specs:
-Frame: 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5 - Large
-Fork: 2018 Lyrik RC2 (upgraded from 160 to 170mm)
-Shock: 2019 Super Deluxe with MegNeg air can
-Rims: DT Swiss, EX471 rear, EX511 front
-Hubs: Hope pro 4
-Tire inserts: Nukeproof ARD
-Front Tire: 2.5WT Assegai - DH casing
-Rear Tire: 2.4 DHR - DH casing
-Headset: works components -1 degree
-Stem: Deity copperhead 35mm
-Bar: Bontrager line 780mm, little sweep and rise
-Dropper post: Bontrager line 150mm
-Brakes: Guide RS - 200mm front, 180mm rear
-Drivetrain: 11 speed X1 with GX derailleur (10-42 cassette with 30T round chainring)

I have the silver and teal frame, I wouldn't have chosen that color but had a great deal. I chose a bunch of purple anodized parts for the finishing kit, it'll look different, fancy and flashy! Chances are women will be interested in buying this bike.

Pictures and ride impressions coming soon.

My previous bike was a medium Trek Remedy 9 RSL 2017 with similar specs.
My initial impressions between the two is that the trek, out of the box, felt more dialed to my riding style (high speed, DH, technical and flow, big jumps, etc.)
It was a lot easier to get the rear shock dialed (just added 2PSI to trek recommendations and never touched it again) on the trek and I am hoping to get the kona to feel as good or better.
The trek was a bit to short for me, reach wise, I feel much more comfortable on the kona. I'm almost always in an aggressive position during descents, leaning over the handle bars. The extra room is more than welcome.
The other big difference I have noticed is that the kona is much stiffer, making it more precise, but a bit less forgiving in high speed gnarly/bumpy trails.
I like jumping on the kona better, I feel in better control. Probably due to the slightly shorter chainstays and roomier cockpit.
Cornering performance and confidence is a bit better on the kona too, also probably due to the shorter chainstays and roomier cockpit.

I'm overall satisfied with my purchase. Just a bit worried with the rear shock feeling/performance on the kona, but looking forward to play with the megneg air can and volume reducers.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
pqbb wrote:
I have a 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5. fully custom semi-budget build.
I'm 5'11.5" - 165lbs with gear. I do 85% bike park 15% trails/pedaling up (mostly when nearby chairlifts are closed).
I don't want a DH bike, I feel happier on a shorter travel livelier/snappier bike.

I got the frame late in the season last year and was able to use it for ~400 kms.
Which lead to the following changes I'm making during the off season: (the biggest annoyance I had was the shock/frame not being progressive enough)
--1 degree works components angleset
-Increase fork travel from 160 to 170mm with 3 tokens
-Change air can to megneg with 1 gnardog spacer (I will have extra "normal" spacers and spacers for the negative chamber to play with)
These changes should result in the head tube angle going from 66 to a bit less than 65 with increased bottom out support in both suspensions.

Full build specs:
-Frame: 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5 - Large
-Fork: 2018 Lyrik RC2 (upgraded from 160 to 170mm)
-Shock: 2019 Super Deluxe with MegNeg air can
-Rims: DT Swiss, EX471 rear, EX511 front
-Hubs: Hope pro 4
-Tire inserts: Nukeproof ARD
-Front Tire: 2.5WT Assegai - DH casing
-Rear Tire: 2.4 DHR - DH casing
-Headset: works components -1 degree
-Stem: Deity copperhead 35mm
-Bar: Bontrager line 780mm, little sweep and rise
-Dropper post: Bontrager line 150mm
-Brakes: Guide RS - 200mm front, 180mm rear
-Drivetrain: 11 speed X1 with GX derailleur (10-42 cassette with 30T round chainring)

I have the silver and teal frame, I wouldn't have chosen that color but had a great deal. I chose a bunch of purple anodized parts for the finishing kit, it'll look different, fancy and flashy! Chances are women will be interested in buying this bike.

Pictures and ride impressions coming soon.

My previous bike was a medium Trek Remedy 9 RSL 2017 with similar specs.
My initial impressions between the two is that the trek, out of the box, felt more dialed to my riding style (high speed, DH, technical and flow, big jumps, etc.)
It was a lot easier to get the rear shock dialed (just added 2PSI to trek recommendations and never touched it again) on the trek and I am hoping to get the kona to feel as good or better.
The trek was a bit to short for me, reach wise, I feel much more comfortable on the kona. I'm almost always in an aggressive position during descents, leaning over the handle bars. The extra room is more than welcome.
The other big difference I have noticed is that the kona is much stiffer, making it more precise, but a bit less forgiving in high speed gnarly/bumpy trails.
I like jumping on the kona better, I feel in better control. Probably due to the slightly shorter chainstays and roomier cockpit.
Cornering performance and confidence is a bit better on the kona too, also probably due to the shorter chainstays and roomier cockpit.

I'm overall satisfied with my purchase. Just a bit worried with the rear shock feeling/performance on the kona, but looking forward to play with the megneg air can and volume reducers.

Nice dude. Yeah, the rear ended on these bikes is a little stiff and progressive. Takes a little bit more ummmff to get it working through the travel.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
patch92 wrote:
Nice dude. Yeah, the rear ended on these bikes is a little stiff and progressive. Takes a little bit more ummmff to get it working through the travel.

Not sure which bike you are referring to, but what I was saying was that the kona process 153 27.5 feel much less progressive than the trek remedy out of the box. Which is why I am in the process of tuning the shock to try and greatly increase bottom out support and ideally keep the same small bump compliance (or improve it).

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
pqbb wrote:
patch92 wrote:

Not sure which bike you are referring to, but what I was saying was that the kona process 153 27.5 feel much less progressive than the trek remedy out of the box. Which is why I am in the process of tuning the shock to try and greatly increase bottom out support and ideally keep the same small bump compliance (or improve it).

Weird. I was saying I think the process is pretty stiff in the rear end. Not very small bump compliant. Compared to other bikes I’ve ridden. I guess we all feel things differently!

To be fair. I’m more of a downhill guy who spends most of my time on a 200mm coil rear end... so its pretty dang plush.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
pqbb wrote:
patch92 wrote:

My 2019 153 cr with the rockshox superdeluxe is very linear. I run the rebound all the way open and at 30% sag it is very plush for an air shock but still responsive. Based upon my experience with the Kona I would not call it progressive.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
patch92 wrote:
pqbb wrote:
patch92 wrote:

Weird. I was saying I think the process is pretty stiff in the rear end. Not very small bump compliant. Compared to other bikes I’ve ridden. I guess we all feel things differently!

To be fair. I’m more of a downhill guy who spends most of my time on a 200mm coil rear end... so its pretty dang plush.

I do agree that it is not very small bump compliant. What I meant was that the trek felt like it had better bottom out support. It had a similar feeling for small bumps, but on the process I bottom out all the time unless I have 10% sag (and obviously horrible small bump compliance). Hoping the megneg air can and the extra spacer(s) will solve my problem.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
patch92 wrote:
HardingO wrote:
Hi all,

I’m a biased post here.... but I’m 6 foot on the dot. And I ride a medium. I like shorter bikes. More fun, and I feel I can climb better with them. I should definitely be on a large, but I hate a long reach.

If you go with a large and you feel the reach is too far, you can definitely shorten the stem. But I prefer shorter bikes. I definitely wouldn’t get the XL at your height.

That’s my opinion.

Also, I test rode both a large and medium. Like the way the medium felt more. It might be worth riding both to see.

Late to the party here but I am 5' 11 and have been riding a 2015 process 153 medium, just got the large 2019 process 153 29er and sizing feels great. reach went from 435mm to 475 and no issues at all.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
[Quote="trakker"][Quote="patch92"]
HardingO wrote:
Hi all,

Late to the party here but I am 5' 11 and have been riding a 2015 process 153 medium, just got the large 2019 process 153 29er and sizing feels great. reach went from 435mm to 475 and no issues at all.

I concur, I am 6 ft and the large fits me perfect as well.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
hello felllow process owners,

I am looking at upgrading my shock, I currently have the deluxe rt, on a 2018 153 27.5 AL.

Don't really like the shock, either harsh or constantly bottoming but and feels unrefined.

What shocks are worth taking a look at, I was considering the mrp hazard with a progressive coil but its expensive asf.

I can get shop pricing on a lot if fox, Rockshox, cane creek and the mrp stuff, what do you guys reckon will feel best?

I do a lot of different riding, street, park, trail, enduro, even dirt jumps to some pretty old school free ride stuff.

Cheers,
Elias

Posted: 24 hours ago Quote
Just discovered this forum, I was on another process one about mullets but it died ;(. But anyway, my bikes a ‘19 CR 29er completely stock, apart from rev grips, Saint brakeset and a chromag top cap. Got a chromag rim on the way after I rooted my rear up mt hutt. Gonna chuck on the new Maxxis tyre (Troy brosnans one I think) along with it and some huck Norris inserts. Also considering replacing the stock reverb with a one up 170 and going to a MRP Hazard.

But anyway the major thing I’m gonna play round with is mounting a 2020 boxxer I’ve found online for park riding and racing. With maybe a 27.5 rear to lower the bb but that will depend on how I find it. Ive got a dark side for dh atm but will sell that. Originally planned on upping to 170 on the forks but it wouldn’t of been enough bike for racing but to much to still be good for multi day rides.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006010
Mobile Version of Website