Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
Just discovered this forum, I was on another process one about mullets but it died ;(. But anyway, my bikes a ‘19 CR 29er completely stock, apart from rev grips, Saint brakeset and a chromag top cap. Got a chromag rim on the way after I rooted my rear up mt hutt. Gonna chuck on the new Maxxis tyre (Troy brosnans one I think) along with it and some huck Norris inserts. Also considering replacing the stock reverb with a one up 170 and going to a MRP Hazard.

But anyway the major thing I’m gonna play round with is mounting a 2020 boxxer I’ve found online for park riding and racing. With maybe a 27.5 rear to lower the bb but that will depend on how I find it. Ive got a dark side for dh atm but will sell that. Originally planned on upping to 170 on the forks but it wouldn’t of been enough bike for racing but to much to still be good for multi day rides.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

So much to unpack here. Definitely agree with the Maxxis Dissector. It’s a great rear tire. I think the tire inserts are a bit overrated. They (at least the Cushcore) feel great on the bike, but I’m not sure the effort of installing them is worth it. Then again, I don’t know what the trails are like where you ride.

As for the Boxxer and mullets setup, that is certainly interesting and I’d love to see how it works for you. My question is whether you would regularly swap it out for a single crown when not racing. Out of curiosity, why not got with a 170mm Lyric? Is that 10mm and dual crown really needed for a bike with only 153mm in the rear?

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
I wouldn't trust the head tube to stand up to the abuse of a 200mm fork. I'd stick to 170 up front & if you need anything more go shopping for a DH bike. The Commencal Supreme 27.5 I rode is beyond impressive compared to my '15 operator supreme.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 0:33 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
sack-javage wrote:
Just discovered this forum, I was on another process one about mullets but it died ;(. But anyway, my bikes a ‘19 CR 29er completely stock, apart from rev grips, Saint brakeset and a chromag top cap. Got a chromag rim on the way after I rooted my rear up mt hutt. Gonna chuck on the new Maxxis tyre (Troy brosnans one I think) along with it and some huck Norris inserts. Also considering replacing the stock reverb with a one up 170 and going to a MRP Hazard.

But anyway the major thing I’m gonna play round with is mounting a 2020 boxxer I’ve found online for park riding and racing. With maybe a 27.5 rear to lower the bb but that will depend on how I find it. Ive got a dark side for dh atm but will sell that. Originally planned on upping to 170 on the forks but it wouldn’t of been enough bike for racing but to much to still be good for multi day rides.

So much to unpack here. Definitely agree with the Maxxis Dissector. It’s a great rear tire. I think the tire inserts are a bit overrated. They (at least the Cushcore) feel great on the bike, but I’m not sure the effort of installing them is worth it. Then again, I don’t know what the trails are like where you ride.

As for the Boxxer and mullets setup, that is certainly interesting and I’d love to see how it works for you. My question is whether you would regularly swap it out for a single crown when not racing. Out of curiosity, why not got with a 170mm Lyric? Is that 10mm and dual crown really needed for a bike with only 153mm in the rear?

I'm riding mostly really gnarly rocky stuff hence why I want to go for that extra beef in the rear, running stupid high PSI in my tire I still get flats and finally wrecked my rim this past weekend. I might try a thicker tire when I get the dissector to see if that helps but I was running the enduro casing Maxxis makes (forgot the name) So I'll see on that front i guess.

And I'm not sure, over the winter the majority of riding i do is shuttling and park riding (A park in NZ near me is open year-round) so i won't swap the forks over at all during that time, but over the summer i might do it more often. As for the fork itself I'm going off a slight gut feeling to of that fact that going from my darkside to the kona always feels similar just the darkside is heavier but holds its lines better, but also i can't remember who but a Kona cog world rider had a process set up with the new bombers. And travelling around a fair bit I only take one bike as its all i can fit but i always find myself wishing for the other bike so i thought this would be a bit easier of having a second pair of forks than having to invest into a new car lol.

Another thing i forgot to mention is im gonna get a -3 or -4 degree headset for the boxxers.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
eshew wrote:
I wouldn't trust the head tube to stand up to the abuse of a 200mm fork. I'd stick to 170 up front & if you need anything more go shopping for a DH bike. The Commencal Supreme 27.5 I rode is beyond impressive compared to my '15 operator supreme.

Fair enough, but the CR operator is a hell of a lot more chunkier than the Yeti SB6 and i know a lot of people put fox 40's on those for mini DH bikes in a sense. And as for the DH bike i do have one but i just find myself feeling like its not justifed to own one because of the few times i truly need one. Like theres tracks i'll do with the kona and find sketchy but then the DH bike feels overbike 99% of the time

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 0:39 Quote
Forgot to add that im doing a fair few really long rides that i know 170 will be to much from listening to what others have said

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 5:54 Quote
sack-javage wrote:

I’d agree with what some other people have said. I’d think a 200mm fork, and the abuse it would take might be too much for the head tube. At least something I wouldn’t want to figure out the hard way. Lol

I’d also stay away from huck Norris. I’ve had a few sets, and I personally think they are trash. I went to Cush core for both my DH bike and my process. Never been happier. I’ve had some major hits that would have yielded big rim dents with out the Cush... people say they are almost impossible to install. Lol. If you follow the directions to the T, you can get two sets of Cush and tires installed within 15 minutes. That’s how long it takes me. I love Cush core and will never go back. Haha. The benefits outweigh the slight increase in weight.

I’d also think that 200mm up front, even with a 27.5 rear, will make a talllllll bike. It’s already tall as is.

Either way, I’m sure you’ll have fun. I too have Saints on my process... best upgrade anyone could do.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 18:12 Quote

Lots of new rigs on here. Very sweet. Here's a little 'Old School' action. My 2015 153 DL. Just got it last spring. First full suspension ride. First Kona. It's a beast. My riding crew has dubbed it the Green Basturd. Got a new Brand X Ascend 150mm dropper for Christmas. Can't wait to get it installed and ride.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
cooliom2fs wrote:

Lots of new rigs on here. Very sweet. Here's a little 'Old School' action. My 2015 153 DL. Just got it last spring. First full suspension ride. First Kona. It's a beast. My riding crew has dubbed it the Green Basturd. Got a new Brand X Ascend 150mm dropper for Christmas. Can't wait to get it installed and ride.

Great looking bike !!!

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 5:28 Quote
Anyone running DVO shock on their 153?

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 6:47 Quote
Good day Lads, II wanted to try a coil shock on my Proces153 2020 what do I have to consider? like the i2i and the coil that i need for it? and any comments for the coil setup especially for those who have tried already. thank you...

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
aaronglenn wrote:
Good day Lads, II wanted to try a coil shock on my Proces153 2020 what do I have to consider? like the i2i and the coil that i need for it? and any comments for the coil setup especially for those who have tried already. thank you...

Shock sizing is 205x50 I believe. Personally was very close to buying a coil shock for mine but ended up ordering a cc dB air cs which is yet to arrive. I believe the coil shock might not be perfectly suited to aggressive riding on the 153 because it’s a bit too linear, my stock deluxe feels either harsh or constantly bottoming out, so thought get a coil shock it’s more plush but I think to stop it from bottoming out you’d need such a stiff spring that it would once again feel harsh so I’m just going to pack my cc dB air cs full of spacers and see how that goes. That being said, Kona say the bike is designed to work well with coil shocks and if you’re not doing big jumps and landing flat and big g outs the coil might feel great.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

Shock sizing is 205x50 I believe. Personally was very close to buying a coil shock for mine but ended up ordering a cc dB air cs which is yet to arrive. I believe the coil shock might not be perfectly suited to aggressive riding on the 153 because it’s a bit too linear, my stock deluxe feels either harsh or constantly bottoming out, so thought get a coil shock it’s more plush but I think to stop it from bottoming out you’d need such a stiff spring that it would once again feel harsh so I’m just going to pack my cc dB air cs full of spacers and see how that goes. That being said, Kona say the bike is designed to work well with coil shocks and if you’re not doing big jumps and landing flat and big g outs the coil might feel great.

205x60...

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 16:36 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
EliasFritzen wrote:
aaronglenn wrote:

205x60...

yeah my bad, typo...

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005343
Mobile Version of Website