Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

Pictured with Fox X2, but now it has a Rock Shox super deluxe ultimate installed...

That seems like a counter intuitive swap. What was your thinking/how did it change the way the bike rides?

I've been considering an X2 as a future upgrade for the extra tuning options.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
ebrooker wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Pictured with Fox X2, but now it has a Rock Shox super deluxe ultimate installed...

That seems like a counter intuitive swap. What was your thinking/how did it change the way the bike rides?

I've been considering an X2 as a future upgrade for the extra tuning options.

It was the older x2 with no climb switch and limited PSI range, 38-40% sag for me. The cost to custom valve it for my weight and install the climb switch was cost prohibitive, so I put this on,it is valved and setup for this bike and had the range i needed to get proper sag and included a climb switch.

That said, the X2 was unreal on the DH stuff I rode. Future goal is to get one again with the right setup or look at a coil shock...

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
ebrooker wrote:
Here's mine. Process 153 CR 29 XL. I'm working through the parts, changing everything to my preference. Here's what I've changed so far:
Frame: Matte Ride Wrap on the frame, gloss on the fork
Bars: RaceFace SixC 800mm
Stem: RaceFace Atlas 50mm
Brakes: Shimano Saint M820, 203mm rotors front and rear
Front Axle: OneUp Axle F
Cranks: Sram XX1 175mm with OneUp Switch 30T Oval
Shock: swapped the stock air can for the MegNeg can, removed one volume spacer
Rear Tire: (stock DHF 2.3 only lasted me ~350kms) DHR2 2.4 WT
Chain Guide: OneUp Bash Guide

Currently on order to be installed ASAP:
- Works -2° AngleSet
- 170mm debonair air spring for the fork

Future Upgrades:
- OneUp Dropper post, hoping I can fit a 210 in the frame, but I haven't checked yet.
- 35mm Riser bars, this is going to be dependent on where the bars end up with the angleset and longer fork
- better wheels, the stock rims seem to be made of cheese, and I'd very much like a better rear hub

How are you liking the performance of the MegNeg compared to the standard rockshox suerdeluxe? Being thinking of doing the same thing. How did it effect the climbing performance.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
How are you liking the performance of the MegNeg compared to the standard rockshox suerdeluxe? Being thinking of doing the same thing. How did it effect the climbing performance.

The problem I was trying to solve was either bottoming out all the time while around ~30% sag, or having the upper part of the stroke be harsh with the air pressure high enough that i wasn't smacking against the bottom all the time.

I went with the MegNeg specifically because the leverage curve for the process isn't particularly progressive, and the air can makes the shock ramp up more in the middle of the stroke, and much more at the end of the stroke (compared to using volume spacers)

I think it's a big improvement. I'll admit that I haven't done a full test bracket for the best combination of negative and positive volume spacers. I'm currently running it with 1 positive volume spacer. I've tried it with no spacers and felt I wanted more support. I should probably try some other combinations as well.

Climbing performance is roughly the same (I typically always climb with the climb switch on), possibly a little more active than the stock can, but I haven't done any back to back testing to confirm that for sure.

Sram recommends ~20% more air pressure with the MegNeg, so keep that in mind if you're nearing max pressure. Here's an example curve from the service manual, confusingly they don't have an english version of the MegNeg service manual, really wish they'd stop removing old resources (or current ones in this case) from their website

Also, the MegNeg kit comes with all the negative volume spacers you need plus 2 sets of seals

MegNeg Aircan Curve

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
Any word on when the 2020's are going to drop? Think there will be any major differences?

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
They’re already up on the Kona site. Just different colours and some part spec changes. No major frame changes. Although the pictures of the 153 29 CR do show a BB drain hole that I very much wish they’d included on the 2019 model year. It’ll be a couple years before they make any major geometry changes. Gotta pay off that frame tooling.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
ebrooker wrote:
They’re already up on the Kona site. Just different colours and some part spec changes. No major frame changes. Although the pictures of the 153 29 CR do show a BB drain hole that I very much wish they’d included on the 2019 model year. It’ll be a couple years before they make any major geometry changes. Gotta pay off that frame tooling.

Oh they must have just added them, I was looking the other day. After checking them out...man who chose those colors?? So ugly this year

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
The -2° Works Angleset arrived earlier this week and I got my first ride on it last night.

I haven't measured the bike yet, but from my CAD model estimates (based off the Kona's geo chart, so take with a grain of salt)
Wheelbase: ~1277mm
Head Tube Angle: ~64.4°
Reach: ~512mm
Stack: ~627mm
Seat Tube Angle: ~76.2° (from TTT intersection, not from my seat height)
BB Height: ~343mm

The bike feels much better. High speed stability is greatly improved and the bike is much easier to lean over. Steering is noticeably calmer (slower) but the bike will still happily change direction when leaned over. Feels safer to drive the front wheel into roots/rocks without worrying about getting knocked off line. Also feels much safer being over the front of the bike as the front wheel is now 19mm farther forward.

I noticed the increased weight on my hands. I'm still waiting for the 170mm airspring which will lift the front end up a little and bring the cockpit geometry (reach/stack) back a little closer to stock. As mentioned previously, I may end up with a 35mm riser bar to get my hands in the right place.

I didn't have any issues with the climb trails I rode, but I wasn't on particularly steep climbs. I did notice that the front wheel is a little easier to lift (COG has moved back in the wheelbase). I've moved my saddle forward to compensate, I don't think it'll be possible to fully correct for this, but its currently manageable. Line choice around switchbacks is naturally slightly wider to deal with the increased wheelbase, but I'm pretty used to this having ridden XL bikes for a while now.

All in all the change did exactly what I wanted. It's difficult to compare one day's ride to another's, however, the clock says I'm faster, despite losing the light at the end of the ride. Whether that's the result of conditions, setup changes, or just feeling more comfortable on this setup is up for debate but it felt better to me.

I'll report back once I've got more time on the new setup/once I've installed the longer airspring.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 20:44 Quote
ebrooker wrote:
The -2° Works Angleset arrived earlier this week and I got my first ride on it last night.

I haven't measured the bike yet, but from my CAD model estimates (based off the Kona's geo chart, so take with a grain of salt)
Wheelbase: ~1277mm
Head Tube Angle: ~64.4°
Reach: ~512mm
Stack: ~627mm
Seat Tube Angle: ~76.2° (from TTT intersection, not from my seat height)
BB Height: ~343mm

The bike feels much better. High speed stability is greatly improved and the bike is much easier to lean over. Steering is noticeably calmer (slower) but the bike will still happily change direction when leaned over. Feels safer to drive the front wheel into roots/rocks without worrying about getting knocked off line. Also feels much safer being over the front of the bike as the front wheel is now 19mm farther forward.

Sounds like you turned your Kona into a mini downhill/park bike. Let us know how this progresses for you.

Sounds like you adapted your Kona into a mini downhill/park bike. Keep us updated on how things progress.
I noticed the increased weight on my hands. I'm still waiting for the 170mm airspring which will lift the front end up a little and bring the cockpit geometry (reach/stack) back a little closer to stock. As mentioned previously, I may end up with a 35mm riser bar to get my hands in the right place.

I didn't have any issues with the climb trails I rode, but I wasn't on particularly steep climbs. I did notice that the front wheel is a little easier to lift (COG has moved back in the wheelbase). I've moved my saddle forward to compensate, I don't think it'll be possible to fully correct for this, but its currently manageable. Line choice around switchbacks is naturally slightly wider to deal with the increased wheelbase, but I'm pretty used to this having ridden XL bikes for a while now.

All in all the change did exactly what I wanted. It's difficult to compare one day's ride to another's, however, the clock says I'm faster, despite losing the light at the end of the ride. Whether that's the result of conditions, setup changes, or just feeling more comfortable on this setup is up for debate but it felt better to me.

I'll report back once I've got more time on the new setup/once I've installed the longer airspring.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
Here is look at the new 2020 Process 153. Not sure what I think about the new color.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Cool MRP suspension upgrade for Kona 153's

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
Kona 2020 lineup.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
I rented the 2019 CR version while on holiday in Vancouver Island. Loved it so much I bought the AL version when I returned to Scotland (I couldn't justify the cost of the CR). I have ridden this bike on every kind of trail and it just keeps delivering.

Don't know how to insert a picture of it!

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
How do you guys feel about the Super Deluxe on the CR versions? I've read it feels very chattery on the rough sections and doesn't have good mid stroke support. Any personal experiences?

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Habaden wrote:
How do you guys feel about the Super Deluxe on the CR versions? I've read it feels very chattery on the rough sections and doesn't have good mid stroke support. Any personal experiences?

I ride a 2019 153 cr with the Super Deluxe shock and love the feel of it. Not chattery at all on the rough sections and very supportive throughout the whole stroke with great small bump compliance. You do need to take the time to set it up correctly. I have found most riders don't know how to set up their shocks correctly and are therefore losing out on the full benefit of them.

All that said, I really like the performance of the super deluxe on my carbon frame. The carbon frame is really stiff which is a plus for me. I run the rebound pretty fast on the rear shock and that makes it run much smoother. I find that most riders run their rebound way to slow for chunky enduro trails, at that is what is causing that chattering feeling for them. Love the 153 carbon frame and it really responds when you jump on the pedals coming out of the corners.

Hope this helps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009999
Mobile Version of Website