Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 17:40 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Habaden wrote:
How do you guys feel about the Super Deluxe on the CR versions? I've read it feels very chattery on the rough sections and doesn't have good mid stroke support. Any personal experiences?

I ride a 2019 153 cr with the Super Deluxe shock and love the feel of it. Not chattery at all on the rough sections and very supportive throughout the whole stroke with great small bump compliance. You do need to take the time to set it up correctly. I have found most riders don't know how to set up their shocks correctly and are therefore losing out on the full benefit of them.

All that said, I really like the performance of the super deluxe on my carbon frame. The carbon frame is really stiff which is a plus for me. I run the rebound pretty fast on the rear shock and that makes it run much smoother. I find that most riders run their rebound way to slow for chunky enduro trails, at that is what is causing that chattering feeling for them. Love the 153 carbon frame and it really responds when you jump on the pedals coming out of the corners.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Also wanted to ask, has anyone ran carbon rims on their process? Does it change the feeling of it at all?

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 2:52 Quote
Habaden wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
Habaden wrote:
How do you guys feel about the Super Deluxe on the CR versions? I've read it feels very chattery on the rough sections and doesn't have good mid stroke support. Any personal experiences?

I ride a 2019 153 cr with the Super Deluxe shock and love the feel of it. Not chattery at all on the rough sections and very supportive throughout the whole stroke with great small bump compliance. You do need to take the time to set it up correctly. I have found most riders don't know how to set up their shocks correctly and are therefore losing out on the full benefit of them.

All that said, I really like the performance of the super deluxe on my carbon frame. The carbon frame is really stiff which is a plus for me. I run the rebound pretty fast on the rear shock and that makes it run much smoother. I find that most riders run their rebound way to slow for chunky enduro trails, at that is what is causing that chattering feeling for them. Love the 153 carbon frame and it really responds when you jump on the pedals coming out of the corners.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Also wanted to ask, has anyone ran carbon rims on their process? Does it change the feeling of it at all?

What sag/ psi/ tokens are you running in your shock buddymtb? I was running my rebound at 4 or 5 so will try it further out. Found shock a bit harsh on natural dirt steps

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
slugzy wrote:
Habaden wrote:
buddymtb wrote:

Hope this helps.

I am riding a size large Process. I weigh 200 pounds in my full kit with water bottle.

What sag/ psi/ tokens are you running in your shock buddymtb? I was running my rebound at 4 or 5 so will try it further out. Found shock a bit harsh on natural dirt steps

I am riding a size large Process. I weigh 200 pounds in my full kit with water bottle. I run 180 PSI in the shock with 2 tokens. That gives 30% sag. I am running the high speed rebound 1 click from fully open with no low speed rebound. I find that this set-up works really well for me on the process. I get small bump compliance, mid stroke support, and it stops the chatter on the really rough stuff. I find the Process 153 to be neither linear nor progressive. It feels what I would call neutral. I really like this because I can make it more progressive or linear based upon how I set up the shock. It has been my experience that most people reduce the high speed rebound on the shock to reduce chatter in the ruff stuff when they really need to increase the rebound to help the shock keep up and recover from the multiple hard hits.

I think a coil shock would really make this bike super plush, but it would also take away all of the playful and super responsive feel of the bike as well and impact how fast the bike climbs.

I would not call the Process a plush bike but would not call it a harsh bike either. To me it is playful and fast at the same time. I have ridden a lot of enduro bikes that I would consider plush on some pretty extreme downhills. I have broken all my PR's that I set on those bikes on the process carbon. You do need to engage with the process more than the plush type bikes that you can just point down hill, but I am finding it to be both faster and really fun to ride.

What surprised me the most is how good it climbs while being so fast going downhill. It climbs faster than my carbon YT Jeffsy and really out descends the YT as well. So much so, that I sold the Jeffsy after I bought the Process even though I was going to keep it as more of a trail bike.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
Wanted to add one more thought to the rear wheel chatter question. One thing that might be adding to the feel of rear wheel chatter is the shorter chainstays on the Process. The shorter chains stays are what make the Process so nimble and it also makes the bike corner incredibly well.

In my experience this is where it helps to really engage with the Process and shift your weight around a lot on the bike. You will get more chatter with this geometry if you don't shift your weight a little farther back in rough stuff and weight the heels of your feet, which places more weight on the rear shock to engage it more. If you have to much weight on the front end in the chatter, this will make any bike feel skittish over multiple high speed hits.

It has been my experience on the Process with the short chain stays, that it requires the rider to actually ride the bike and move and shift your weight on it. This is what I really love about this bike, it feels like a bike and not just some sled that you just point down hill. Again, this is what makes the bike so fast and nimble, but you have to engage with the bike to get the best out of it. When you do, this bike literally dances underneath you and it is so fun to ride.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
Upgrade...
Upgrade...
Upgrade day, just in time for an epic trip in Leavenworth, Wa... finally scored an x2 with the climb switch. Super amped to install it and go play. Thankfully I kept all my setting la from the last time around...

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Upgrade...
Upgrade...
Upgrade day, just in time for an epic trip in Leavenworth, Wa... finally scored an x2 with the climb switch. Super amped to install it and go play. Thankfully I kept all my setting la from the last time around...

Nice, let us know how it performs.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
Hi All,

I just ordered a brand new 2018 Process 153 CR today. I've been reading alot about enduro bikes and it just seemed like such a great deal, I said F it and pulled the trigger. I hope this bike turns out to be what I'm looking for!

Not much of a mountain biker, but I started doing DH last year and I love it. Figured I'd start riding some trails too. My DH bike does not want to do it. I'm hoping that I like this process enough to sell the downhill bike. Would much rather have 1 bike that does it all.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
ktm48 wrote:
Hi All,

I just ordered a brand new 2018 Process 153 CR today. I've been reading alot about enduro bikes and it just seemed like such a great deal, I said F it and pulled the trigger. I hope this bike turns out to be what I'm looking for!

Not much of a mountain biker, but I started doing DH last year and I love it. Figured I'd start riding some trails too. My DH bike does not want to do it. I'm hoping that I like this process enough to sell the downhill bike. Would much rather have 1 bike that does it all.

Congrats, what suspension did the 2018 come with ?

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
Thanks, pretty pumped, should have it next week. It has a Rockshox Lyric Fork and Deluxe RT shock. Here is a link to the bike I bought.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2494734/

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
ktm48 wrote:
Thanks, pretty pumped, should have it next week. It has a Rockshox Lyric Fork and Deluxe RT shock. Here is a link to the bike I bought.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2494734/

That's a great bike and at a great price. I bought my 2019 process 153 carbon from the same shop. Super happy with the bike and the experience.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 0:42 Quote
That's great news, happy to hear it! Glad you like the bike

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
slugzy wrote:
Habaden wrote:

I am riding a size large Process. I weigh 200 pounds in my full kit with water bottle.

I am riding a size large Process. I weigh 200 pounds in my full kit with water bottle. I run 180 PSI in the shock with 2 tokens. That gives 30% sag. I am running the high speed rebound 1 click from fully open with no low speed rebound. I find that this set-up works really well for me on the process. I get small bump compliance, mid stroke support, and it stops the chatter on the really rough stuff. I find the Process 153 to be neither linear nor progressive. It feels what I would call neutral. I really like this because I can make it more progressive or linear based upon how I set up the shock. It has been my experience that most people reduce the high speed rebound on the shock to reduce chatter in the ruff stuff when they really need to increase the rebound to help the shock keep up and recover from the multiple hard hits.

I think a coil shock would really make this bike super plush, but it would also take away all of the playful and super responsive feel of the bike as well and impact how fast the bike climbs.

I would not call the Process a plush bike but would not call it a harsh bike either. To me it is playful and fast at the same time. I have ridden a lot of enduro bikes that I would consider plush on some pretty extreme downhills. I have broken all my PR's that I set on those bikes on the process carbon. You do need to engage with the process more than the plush type bikes that you can just point down hill, but I am finding it to be both faster and really fun to ride.

What surprised me the most is how good it climbs while being so fast going downhill. It climbs faster than my carbon YT Jeffsy and really out descends the YT as well. So much so, that I sold the Jeffsy after I bought the Process even though I was going to keep it as more of a trail bike.

Hope this helps.

That last part about the jeffsy is what I really want to hear!

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
You guys have any recommendations on where to start with pressure? I've got a 153 CR 29 headed my way & was curious if you all have a favorite PSI for the Super Deluxe? I'm roughly 175 lbs.

Hoping this bike will be as fun as the other 10 or so kona's I've owned.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
eshew wrote:
You guys have any recommendations on where to start with pressure? I've got a 153 CR 29 headed my way & was curious if you all have a favorite PSI for the Super Deluxe? I'm roughly 175 lbs.

Hoping this bike will be as fun as the other 10 or so kona's I've owned.

Don't know specific pressures for your weight but I have settled on 30% sag on the rear shock with the redound almost all the way open. I am running 25% sag on the lyric fork with rebound 4 clicks from fully open. These sag and rebound settings are perfect form my riding style and weight. I am 205 lbs in my full kit.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
Thanks guys, I need all this info too! I'm around 183 so you and I might be pretty close

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011102
Mobile Version of Website