Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
astorms wrote:
Simann wrote:
Anyone know when the 2021's will be available?

Looks like Kona did some major changes to the geo on the 153, and its alloy only, and the Process X (161) is now the Carbon option.

I just started looking at the Process as my next bike. Seems like a solid build kit, except for the few NX bits.

Is this a good do it all bike? I do a lot of climbing, but am looking for a bike to help me excel in the downs. Looking for something to help plow through major rocky/rooty stuff at higher speeds. I don't want to get knocked around like i do on my current rig.

I will say without hesitation that yes, it is a great "do it all" mountain bike. Only reason I sold my 153 CR/DL was to upgrade to a larger frame (L to XL) and get into a 29er.I could not find a 29er Process 153 on sale at the time so I went with a 2020 Tallboy...which didn't fit my local trails very well, lacked a lot of travel (130/120). Went back to a big-boy bike (commencal meta AM 29) and experimented with coil shocks, loved the feel but it was a bit heavy for short steep techy climbs that are abound in my area (Nashville, TN). Though, in the last two years, there has been a renaissance in new trails being built, lots of flow and long-high speed descents. Something that the Process has always been good at.

Which brings me back to my Process 153, I miss that bike like no other. The shape, the stiffness of the frame, and the way it popped over obstacles is still second to none. My current ride (Niner RIP9 RDO) is a great bike, but I miss a little more wheelbase and reach. I'm a tall guy at 6'2 with long limbs, so added wheelbase really helps with high speed stability.

Their new geometry definitely has better anti-squat for pedaling up hill, however, they do suggest you use the lockout function on the shock to aid in long climbs for increased efficiency. A slacker head tube for increased stability pointed down, and a lower seat tube height for a longer dropper, so you can get your weight really low and rail turns.

The 2021 Process 153 AL frame is $1,799. That's on par with a Commencal, Privateer and RAAW pricing. The CR/DL Process X is like $3,000. But having been an owner of other bikes as well, I can say the quality is there to substantiate the pricing. And recently, Kona has been on FIRE with their paint jobs. Being that I've owned a plethora of carbon and alloy bikes, i really don't mind the idea of going back to an alloy Process.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
Simann wrote:
astorms wrote:
Simann wrote:
Anyone know when the 2021's will be available?

Looks like Kona did some major changes to the geo on the 153, and its alloy only, and the Process X (161) is now the Carbon option.

I just started looking at the Process as my next bike. Seems like a solid build kit, except for the few NX bits.

Is this a good do it all bike? I do a lot of climbing, but am looking for a bike to help me excel in the downs. Looking for something to help plow through major rocky/rooty stuff at higher speeds. I don't want to get knocked around like i do on my current rig.

I will say without hesitation that yes, it is a great "do it all" mountain bike. Only reason I sold my 153 CR/DL was to upgrade to a larger frame (L to XL) and get into a 29er.I could not find a 29er Process 153 on sale at the time so I went with a 2020 Tallboy...which didn't fit my local trails very well, lacked a lot of travel (130/120). Went back to a big-boy bike (commencal meta AM 29) and experimented with coil shocks, loved the feel but it was a bit heavy for short steep techy climbs that are abound in my area (Nashville, TN). Though, in the last two years, there has been a renaissance in new trails being built, lots of flow and long-high speed descents. Something that the Process has always been good at.

Which brings me back to my Process 153, I miss that bike like no other. The shape, the stiffness of the frame, and the way it popped over obstacles is still second to none. My current ride (Niner RIP9 RDO) is a great bike, but I miss a little more wheelbase and reach. I'm a tall guy at 6'2 with long limbs, so added wheelbase really helps with high speed stability.

Their new geometry definitely has better anti-squat for pedaling up hill, however, they do suggest you use the lockout function on the shock to aid in long climbs for increased efficiency. A slacker head tube for increased stability pointed down, and a lower seat tube height for a longer dropper, so you can get your weight really low and rail turns.

The 2021 Process 153 AL frame is $1,799. That's on par with a Commencal, Privateer and RAAW pricing. The CR/DL Process X is like $3,000. But having been an owner of other bikes as well, I can say the quality is there to substantiate the pricing. And recently, Kona has been on FIRE with their paint jobs. Being that I've owned a plethora of carbon and alloy bikes, i really don't mind the idea of going back to an alloy Process.

I appreciate the feedback!

To further confuse me, Giant just released their 2021 Trance X 29.....

The process has better fork and shock set-up (my opinion only). SLX build on the Trance vs. NX build on the Process.

I am leaning toward the Kona, but is it worth the extra $1k in price?

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
astorms wrote:
Simann wrote:
astorms wrote:

The process has better fork and shock set-up (my opinion only). SLX build on the Trance vs. NX build on the Process.

Yes. Im coning from a giant reign. And I can say the difference in frame stiffness between giant and Kona is insane. That giant flexed like no other. Im not saying giant sucks at making frames, but the feel of the Kona is 10x better. I get it, different goes of bike for sure, but in terms of frame and quality of construction, I can say Kona is far ahead of giant.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
RollinRollinRollin wrote:
thanks! ya it looks a bit extreme, but just feels good to me. It climbs about the same as when it was stock, maybe even a bit better as the michelin rear tire seems to roll faster than the DHR II that was on there, and just so much more fun and confidence inspiring on the way down. I highly recommend those "Dialed" vids though for suspension set up, very helpful, and not just the ones about set up. It's a magic bike, and I almost sold it!!!

Is that a progressive spring on your rear shock? How do you find it? I was worried about going coil on the process as I find the suspension quite linear.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
patch92 wrote:
astorms wrote:
Simann wrote:

Yes. Im coning from a giant reign. And I can say the difference in frame stiffness between giant and Kona is insane. That giant flexed like no other. Im not saying giant sucks at making frames, but the feel of the Kona is 10x better. I get it, different goes of bike for sure, but in terms of frame and quality of construction, I can say Kona is far ahead of giant.

I agree, Giant's aluminum builds are not as stiff as their carbon builds. A local shop rents them out, and one of the co-owners has a carbon Reign, they ride completely different to me at speed.

In regard to Kona, I know the carbon models will be inherently lighter and stiffer, but the way they have designed the rocker link, the seat and chain stays, there is no doubt the rear end will be incredibly stiff compared to other alloy offerings.

If I were you, I would just buy the frame and build it up from there. You can catch insane drivetrain deals, one being on Bunnycycling.com, they had a complete XT group for less than $500 after a 10% off code. For $3000 you would have a much better build.

EDIT: I just spoke with a Kona dealer in Nashville, the Kona rep said the 2021's are able to be ordered now, but the framesets will most likely be released in December 2020.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
hhhanson wrote:
thanks! ya it looks a bit extreme, but just feels good to me. It climbs about the same as when it was stock, maybe even a bit better as the michelin rear tire seems to roll faster than the DHR II that was on there, and just so much more fun and confidence inspiring on the way down. I highly recommend those "Dialed" vids though for suspension set up, very helpful, and not just the ones about set up. It's a magic bike, and I almost sold it!!!

Is that a progressive spring on your rear shock? How do you find it? I was worried about going coil on the process as I find the suspension quite linear.

I'm running an MRP progressive coil with a Rockshox Super Deluxe (205x62.5) and it's made the bike even better. The bike is still playful but can now handle the fast consecutive hits without feeling too sketchy. Converted my Pike to coil as well with a Push asc3 kit.

photo

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
I find the process to be stiff but not uncomfortably stiff. It just feels super solid easy to plow through anything. Also if wanting a bigger grip that is super comfy, try out the deity supracush.
Best grip I've tried in a long time.

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
Yes a cane creek 400 - 488. I think I got lucky with spring rates because the rear suspension feels incredible. I for sure have bottomed it, but never felt anything near a bottom out, it's kinda weird. Almost zero preload for me. from my experience the progressive spring is great for this bike. it is
hhhanson wrote:

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 19:56 Quote
Nice ride. how do you find the coil shock upgrade?
davidle03 wrote:
hhhanson wrote:

I'm running an MRP progressive coil with a Rockshox Super Deluxe (205x62.5) and it's made the bike even better. The bike is still playful but can now handle the fast consecutive hits without feeling too sketchy. Converted my Pike to coil as well with a Push asc3 kit.

photo

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 2:02 Quote
I'm torn between a Kona Process 153 and the shorter travel 134. The geometry is very similar with both bikes it would seem.
I'm a little worried that the 153 may be too big a bike to ride single track and blue runs at the bike park. I'd like to move up to red/black trails at the bike park in the future though.
Is there much difference in the climbing ability as well as downhill?
Can you give me some advice on what bike would be more suitable?

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 5:18 Quote
K155TED wrote:
I'm torn between a Kona Process 153 and the shorter travel 134. The geometry is very similar with both bikes it would seem.
I'm a little worried that the 153 may be too big a bike to ride single track and blue runs at the bike park. I'd like to move up to red/black trails at the bike park in the future though.

Are you looking at a 27.5" Process and the 29" 134?

Right off the bat, I would say you need to go with the 134 if you are looking for ONE bike to do it all. From personal experience, the 27.5" wheels like to get hung up on obstacles that 29" wheels can just roll over, that is unless you are looking for a bike that is extremely playful to hop and jump over those obstacles, then the 153 is your bike.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
Simann wrote:
K155TED wrote:

Right off the bat, I would say you need to go with the 134 if you are looking for ONE bike to do it all. From personal experience, the 27.5" wheels like to get hung up on obstacles that 29" wheels can just roll over, that is unless you are looking for a bike that is extremely playful to hop and jump over those obstacles, then the 153 is your bike.

I'm looking at a 29" CR/DL for either a 134 or 153. Sounds like the 153 might be a little more forgiving and can just plow over obstacles rather than have to be a little more technical with lines on the downhill.
Does a 153 still climb reasonably well or does it wobble quite a bit?

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
K155TED wrote:
Simann wrote:
K155TED wrote:

I'm looking at a 29" CR/DL for either a 134 or 153. Sounds like the 153 might be a little more forgiving and can just plow over obstacles rather than have to be a little more technical with lines on the downhill.

From my experience with the 153 29er is it climbs like a goat, not the fastest up the hill but cleans everything efficiently. I have not ridden the new 134 but id assume its even better. The thing I love about my 153 is I can take it on my local pedal laps one day then hit double black trails at the bike park the next. Such a versatile bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
K155TED wrote:

To be honest, I never complained how my 27.5 153 CR/DL climbed. But I also often used the lockout on the Super Deluxe Ultimate rear shock.

If you are looking for a "do it all" bike that could take you to the park and back, stick with the 153, if you find yourself doing more trail then go for the 134. For me, being 200 lbs, I need the extra squish. Its the whole reason I had to end the relationship with my 2020 Tallboy, 140/120 travel was simply not enough, I found out that I was more aggressive of a rider than I originally thought!

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
Simann wrote:
K155TED wrote:

To be honest, I never complained how my 27.5 153 CR/DL climbed. But I also often used the lockout on the Super Deluxe Ultimate rear shock.

If you are looking for a "do it all" bike that could take you to the park and back, stick with the 153, if you find yourself doing more trail then go for the 134. For me, being 200 lbs, I need the extra squish. Its the whole reason I had to end the relationship with my 2020 Tallboy, 140/120 travel was simply not enough, I found out that I was more aggressive of a rider than I originally thought!

Thanks for the advice. Paid the deposit on a 153 CR/DL today. Pick it up on Saturday Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013503
Mobile Version of Website