Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
153 climbs like an ibex!Beer

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
Hey I want to try and Angleset in my 2020 153 (AL DL). Does anyone know what headset I need to order?
Want to go just 1 degree.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
Any news on whether there will be a carbon version of the current 153 AL?

Sorry if I missed an earlier post discussing this!

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
Hey I want to try and Angleset in my 2020 153 (AL DL). Does anyone know what headset I need to order?

Thanks

I emailed them with a link to my bike model from the Kona website, and they replied linking me to the correct headset.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
Gerlewis wrote:
DanBuchanan wrote:

Thanks

I emailed them with a link to my bike model from the Kona website, and they replied linking me to the correct headset.

I emailed them a week ago. No reply.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
ZS44/EC56

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Angleset-ZS44-Headset/dp/B005FYRQLC

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
Simann wrote:
ZS44/EC56

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Angleset-ZS44-Headset/dp/B005FYRQLC

Thanks man

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 19:54 Quote
jcc0042 wrote:

As for the 2021 model year and beyond the Process 153 will ONLY come in Aluminum. The Process X is the new carbon model.

sooo.......I ordered a 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5 size XL frame a few days ago. Got a whole slew of parts in the mail right now. Should be together in a week or two. Reason I sold my 2018 Process was that it was a size Large, and was a bit cramped for my long arms and legs. I knew there was a problem when I was having to put on a 50-60mm stem to give me some elbow room to move around.

I love my Niner RIP9 RDO, its a 170/160 29er thats playful and incredibly quick. However, the frame sits tall and I cant get my weight really low to rail turns like I could on my 2018 Process 27.5. New trails around middle Tennessee have popped up, really flowly, smooth fast bermy jump trails, made for the playfulness of a 27.5 bike. The Niner isn't going anywhere as its great for my all day local slower rocky technical single track.

My "old" 2018 Process CR/DL 27.5
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
Simann wrote:
jcc0042 wrote:

As for the 2021 model year and beyond the Process 153 will ONLY come in Aluminum. The Process X is the new carbon model.

sooo.......I ordered a 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5 size XL frame a few days ago. Got a whole slew of parts in the mail right now. Should be together in a week or two. Reason I sold my 2018 Process was that it was a size Large, and was a bit cramped for my long arms and legs. I knew there was a problem when I was having to put on a 50-60mm stem to give me some elbow room to move around.

I love my Niner RIP9 RDO, its a 170/160 29er thats playful and incredibly quick. However, the frame sits tall and I cant get my weight really low to rail turns like I could on my 2018 Process 27.5. New trails around middle Tennessee have popped up, really flowly, smooth fast bermy jump trails, made for the playfulness of a 27.5 bike. The Niner isn't going anywhere as its great for my all day local slower rocky technical single track.

My "old" 2018 Process CR/DL 27.5
photo
photo

I purchased my 2019 Process 153 CR/DL 27.5 size Small two weeks ago b/c I realized the alloy 2021 Process 153 had a change in geometry and I didn't want to miss out on the Gen 2 Process. Quickly sold my 2018 Cannondale Trigger 2 inside of 18hrs here in North TX. Picked up my 2019 new in box from Centre City in CA at a reasonable discount given the scarcity of bikes. I like short chainstays given my short height. I guessed the geo going forward was changing and I didn't want/need even longer here in North Texas. Only a couple of trail rides on the Process 153 and it feels great. I think I prefer your 2018 CR/DL color way, but the 2019 CR/DL color is growing on me.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
To anybody thinking of going 170mm with this bike, DO IT!

Just got my first weekend of riding in, two 800m pedal days and one lift access day. This is how the bike should have come from the factory, and probably the reason all the EWS Kona riders run 170mm.

Bike still pedals well, but damn is it a beast on the way down. I also upgraded to the 2021 debonair in the lyrik and it rides noticeably higher in the travel giving me that mid-stroke support the 2020 air spring lacked.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Simann wrote:

Source? Disappointing if true and doesn't make a lot of sense. The new 153 DL has mediocre spec with lots of room for a couple of better spec'd models (typically carbon the way Kona does their lineups).

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
awoodward wrote:
Simann wrote:

Source? Disappointing if true and doesn't make a lot of sense. The new 153 DL has mediocre spec with lots of room for a couple of better spec'd models (typically carbon the way Kona does their lineups).

I believe an article on PB is where i first read the news. Then ive confirmed this with my local brick and mortar Kona dealer on email two weeks ago.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
hhhanson wrote:

Just got my first weekend of riding in, two 800m pedal days and one lift access day. This is how the bike should have come from the factory, and probably the reason all the EWS Kona riders run 170mm.

Bike still pedals well, but damn is it a beast on the way down. I also upgraded to the 2021 debonair in the lyrik and it rides noticeably higher in the travel giving me that mid-stroke support the 2020 air spring lacked.

YES!
I ran my previous Process 153 (above in blue) with a 36 at 170mm, the bike loved the higher stack, and the extra 10mm definitely helped slacken the head tube angle but never really affected the climbs at all.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Simann wrote:
hhhanson wrote:

YES!
I ran my previous Process 153 (above in blue) with a 36 at 170mm, the bike loved the higher stack, and the extra 10mm definitely helped slacken the head tube angle but never really affected the climbs at all.

I'm running my 2017 with 170mm lyrik and debonair spring. I also run a -1.5 degree angleset. I did a day at black mountain cycle centre yesterday and the bike was awesome, super smooth.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
Saw the Cascade Components press release today regarding their Process 153 Link. As basically a suspension noob, what are the trade offs of the Cascade Link vs the Kona OEM Link? I generally understand that everything is a trade off, but I can't infer what the likely trade offs are from the OEM link and the intended performance goals of the Gen 2 Process 153. Is this link mostly a performance upgrade for the margin of riders that are larger and most aggressive?

It's seems to be an interesting proposition that for a Cascade Process 153 link at $352 plus $48 for a Rockshox Lyrik 170mm airspring, you can go full bro'duro with 170mm front and 160mm rear. In my size Small, you would be basically transforming my 2019 Process 153 into a Process 160. The static geometry are pretty close. No clue how the two ride relative to each other. Thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017800
Mobile Version of Website