Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
Most of my parts came in today, started putting the Process 153 together.

Some may ask what brakes i'm running on it: XTR M9000 Race levers (without servo wave), BH90 Saint line and ZEE calipers. My brother runs the same setup, incredibly smooth lever feel, very predictable and gets rid of the "on-off" servo-wave issues.
Threw on some E13/Formula wheels for now. The rear Rekon out back is too small, may go 2.6/2.5 on it (2.5/2.4 as it sits).

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 23:18 Quote
Simann wrote:

Some may ask what brakes i'm running on it: XTR M9000 Race levers (without servo wave), BH90 Saint line and ZEE calipers. My brother runs the same setup, incredibly smooth lever feel, very predictable and gets rid of the "on-off" servo-wave issues.
Threw on some E13/Formula wheels for now. The rear Rekon out back is too small, may go 2.6/2.5 on it (2.5/2.4 as it sits).

Do you think you'll enhance the chainstay protection? Bike looks great.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 23:21 Quote
Simann wrote:

All that money and couldn't afford any air for the tires

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
[/Quote] you think you'll enhance the chainstay protection? Bike looks great.[/Quote]

Chainstay protection Enhancement Designed for
PEAK PROTECTION SIZE
Increase Growth
Maximize Length
Boost Hardness
Overall trail Performance

Ingredient Complex PROVEN to Add Size

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
Simann wrote:

LMAO Razz

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
Simann wrote:

probably not. I rode my last Process pretty hard for over a year, never ran into any major issues from chain slap/rub.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 23:22 Quote
Right lads got a question for you all, got a 29er CR it goes hard and mad good fun, but doesn’t perform as well on really flowy dh/jump tracks, I’ve got 170 forks on it and not sure wether to go 27.5 on the rear or buy a dirt jumper, can anyone comment on running mullet? Cheers in advance

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
Right lads got a question for you all, got a 29er CR it goes hard and mad good fun, but doesn’t perform as well on really flowy dh/jump tracks, I’ve got 170 forks on it and not sure wether to go 27.5 on the rear or buy a dirt jumper, can anyone comment on running mullet? Cheers in advance

You could run a smaller wheel out back, but it would not be a stark improvement as it would be throwing a 150mm 29er fork (from a 170mm) and running a 29" wheel on a 27.5 bike. At least that was a major consensus by BIKE magazine editors if I recall.

First 4 minutes they discuss your question:

https://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/bike-shop/bike-shop-27-5-rear-29-front-the-79er-trail-bike-done-right/

However, you may be able to get away with it since the Process CR 29 already has quite short chainstays at 435mm....just the bottom bracket drop may be an issue if you get into a rock garden...

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:37 Quote
hhhanson wrote:
To anybody thinking of going 170mm with this bike, DO IT!

Just got my first weekend of riding in, two 800m pedal days and one lift access day. This is how the bike should have come from the factory, and probably the reason all the EWS Kona riders run 170mm.

Bike still pedals well, but damn is it a beast on the way down. I also upgraded to the 2021 debonair in the lyrik and it rides noticeably higher in the travel giving me that mid-stroke support the 2020 air spring lacked.

Yes! Just rode my 2018 cr/dl xl 27.5 with upgrades 2021 170mm and it is great! Running 40mm bars and a riser stem and the bars finally feel like they’re in the right spot. I was very impressed with ya doing improvements on rolling flowy/tech sections and obviously the downhill is way better...if only my lbs didn’t miscommunicate with the suspension center and I’d have my megneg too! Bc I really need the added progression in the back now...considering the evo link and going mullet as well...when does the tinkering end????????‍♂️

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:
hhhanson wrote:

Just got my first weekend of riding in, two 800m pedal days and one lift access day. This is how the bike should have come from the factory, and probably the reason all the EWS Kona riders run 170mm.

Bike still pedals well, but damn is it a beast on the way down. I also upgraded to the 2021 debonair in the lyrik and it rides noticeably higher in the travel giving me that mid-stroke support the 2020 air spring lacked.

Yes! Just rode my 2018 cr/dl xl 27.5 with upgrades 2021 170mm and it is great! Running 40mm bars and a riser stem and the bars finally feel like they’re in the right spot. I was very impressed with ya doing improvements on rolling flowy/tech sections and obviously the downhill is way better...if only my lbs didn’t miscommunicate with the suspension center and I’d have my megneg too! Bc I really need the added progression in the back now...considering the evo link and going mullet as well...when does the tinkering end????????‍♂️

So the 2021 spring is allgood? Seen mixed reviews.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:
hhhanson wrote:

For sure dan- just a quick ride tonight but no regrets- I am even thinking about taking a token out(From2->1) between the extra 10mm and new spring

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:
hhhanson wrote:

The 2021 was a noticeable improvement for me, I had issues with diving/mid-stroke support with my 2020 air spring. The 2021 version has far more mid-stroke support. I also had the dreaded 10mm "sag" so my fork was more of a 150 than 160. Again, the 2021 air spring solved it. Best $40 i've spent on the bike.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 13:32 Quote
sack-javage wrote:

I'm currently running my 27.5 Process as a mullet with 150mm 29er up front. I would say that it is best for rough, fast singletrack. I run a 27.5 wheel up front when I'm going to be riding more flow style trails.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 19:50 Quote
davidle03 wrote:
sack-javage wrote:

I'm currently running my 27.5 Process as a mullet with 150mm 29er up front. I would say that it is best for rough, fast singletrack. I run a 27.5 wheel up front when I'm going to be riding more flow style trails.

Have you slackened the head angle as well?

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 3:09 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:
davidle03 wrote:
sack-javage wrote:

Have you slackened the head angle as well?

I have not. With the 51mm offset I have to really get over the front on tech climbs. I've ordered an angleset for my honzo and have thought about using the extra .5 degree cup to steepen the head angle on the process to tuck in the front wheel. Just a thought right now since she rides really well as is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009769
Mobile Version of Website