Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
[/Quote]
I have not. With the 51mm offset I have to really get over the front on tech climbs. I've ordered an angleset for my honzo and have thought about using the extra .5 degree cup to steepen the head angle on the process to tuck in the front wheel. Just a thought right now since she rides really well as is.[/Quote]

Good to know- going to a 2021 170 spring and accompanying slacker head angle has been amazing for me- I haven’t ridden in 6 wks and have PR’d every trail I’ve taken the bike on in two short rides this week...I’ve thought about going mullet but don’t know if I really need too.

As for the rear end I’m waiting on my megneg to arrive. LBS says that the damper may need re valved when adding it but I haven’t been able to find any info about that on the inter webs? Also- would like to take out a shock spacer to get 62.5mm stroke/160mm travel...anyone have experience with either of these things?

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
DONE! Came together really well! Rides super smooth!

FRAME
2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL XL

COCKPIT
Cane Creek Helm 170 fork
Cane Creek Hellbender headset
Deity Copperhead 35 stem (35/35)
Deity Crosshair headset cap
Deity Supracush grips
OneUp 35 rise carbon bar
Deity saddle
KS Lev Integra 170 dropper
Deity seat post clamp
Wolf Tooth Light Action lever

DRIVETRAIN
XT M8000 1x11
Sram XX1 11 speed cassette with Wolf Tooth 46t cog
Wolf Tooth oval chainring
XTR chain
Kona Wah Wah II alloy pedals
OneUp bash guard

BRAKES
XTR M9000 race levers
Zee calipers
Saint BH90 brake line
TRP-13 203/180 floating rotors with titanium bolts

WHEELS
Stans Sentry MK3, DT Swiss spokes, Industry9 101 hubs (on order)
E13 TSR, Formula high engagement hubs
Maxxis Asssegai 2.6 and Minion DHF 2.5

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 4:08 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:
Also- would like to take out a shock spacer to get 62.5mm stroke/160mm travel...anyone have experience with either of these things?

I put on a DVO Jade with a 62.5 stroke. Definitely nicer on DH runs/drops, but for general trail riding, I prefer the air/shorter stroke shock. An air shock with a longer shock would be the way to go for the trails we have here in the northeast, IMO. Also, still bottoming out out big drops too easily, even with a stiffer spring than recommended. Supposedly, the new Cascade Components link will solve that issue. I’m not pumping more money into making it ride right though. I wish I had waited or known the X was coming out. My XL 2019 with 515 reach and 425 chainstays is just too unbalanced for me. Time to sell it and move on to something else.

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 5:11 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:
Also- would like to take out a shock spacer to get 62.5mm stroke/160mm travel...anyone have experience with either of these things?

I put on a DVO Jade with a 62.5 stroke. Definitely nicer on DH runs/drops, but for general trail riding, I prefer the air/shorter stroke shock. An air shock with a longer shock would be the way to go for the trails we have here in the northeast, IMO. Also, still bottoming out out big drops too easily, even with a stiffer spring than recommended. Supposedly, the new Cascade Components link will solve that issue. I’m not pumping more money into making it ride right though. I wish I had waited or known the X was coming out. My XL 2019 with 515 reach and 425 chainstays is just too unbalanced for me. Time to sell it and move on to something else.

I agree especially about the unbalanced part on an XL...I am just thinking if I can extend my super deluxe to 62.5 and run a megneg it would essentially produce the same results (and more tuneable) as the cascade link for $90 instead of $350. First year on a bike and I need to ride some others so I have something to compare to before I decide to drop loot on a new bike. The fork extension was a huge win so If I can match it on the rear I will be a lot happier.

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
I have a 2020 process 153 and just got a fox dpx2 to replace the stock shock. Anyone know what size bushing I need for the lower eyelid?

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
[Quote="drpepperrider2"]Good to know.

So I can either try to get the hardware off my rockshox shock, or order one like this?

Was that the correct bushing? I got a dpx2 and will be ordering the hardware

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 6:04 Quote
Elchiludo1 wrote:
I have a 2020 process 153 and just got a fox dpx2 to replace the stock shock. Anyone know what size bushing I need for the lower eyelid?

All the measurements are on the back and bottom of the seat tube, since its Trunnion, only the bottom eyelet measurement matters, 8x30mm.

https://konaparts.com/product/frame-part-cmpbtg2pr17/

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 6:18 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:

Unbalanced? Try a shorter stem and/or moving seat forward so less weight is over the rear end. Putting more weight over that 66' head tube will help the rear end feel less "twitchy."
This is the whole reason so many geometries are getting steeper seat tubes (77-79') as the front ends get more slack (63-65'), e.g. Privateer and Commencal for instance, though those are 29er's now, the chain stays on those frames are pretty damn short around 430-435mm. For them to give the rider the same amount of traction, they need to move the weight forward, this simultaneously increases reach.
You could also try running wider bars, I currently run 800mm, definitely more input needed than a 750-760mm bar, but also helps minimize sensitive steering.

Increasing the stroke of the shock will do nothing for bottom-out resistance. The G2 Process has a pretty progressive leverage curve out of the box, so this tells me you also may be running a coil spring that is too soft. Or, you could try a progressive coil spring like Cane Creek's Vault.

Refer to this press release:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kona-process-2018-first-look.html

You also could look at the MegNeg air can for the Super Deluxe. With a volume spacer or two, it seems to be a favorite middle ground, hitting the sweet spot like the Fox X2 for taking big hits and still being compliant enough for single-track trails.
For me, that may be the next part I throw on since I'm 215 lbs. geared up. I'm no longer running the DPX2 on my Niner RIP9 for the same reason, blowing through travel and honestly was a little too playful. Adding volume spacers and dialing back rebound just did not feel right at all. Now, the Fox X2, though tedious to tune in, is a ridiculously compliant shock, really improved the traction on my RIP9 and still playful. If the MegNeg air can will make my Process feel the same, then it beats a heavy coil shock.

Coincidence the guys at The Lost Co. just uploaded an X2 vs Super Deluxe vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50CYyFeZs4

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
All the measurements are on the back and bottom of the seat tube, since its Trunnion, only the bottom eyelet measurement matters, 8x30mm.

https://konaparts.com/product/frame-part-cmpbtg2pr17/[/Quote]

Thanks, closest thing I found on Jenson is a 8x29.97 would that work?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Shox-Polymer-Du-Bushing-Reducer-Kit

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
That should work, sizes are close enough, rockshox tends to be even sizes, fox for whatever reason is always a fraction off size wise, but will work fine.

If your fox shock has a metal shock reducer already installed you can use the spacers from the old shock. If it has no shock eyelet reducer you should use the fox kit that has the cream colored 2 piece reducer.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
Got it Thanks , for the help

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
eshew wrote:
That should work, sizes are close enough, rockshox tends to be even sizes, fox for whatever reason is always a fraction off size wise, but will work fine.

If your fox shock has a metal shock reducer already installed you can use the spacers from the old shock. If it has no shock eyelet reducer you should use the fox kit that has the cream colored 2 piece reducer.

That fraction-off is purposefully to accommodate for thread/bolt stretch.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
For what its worth: Received & installed the Cascade Components link on my 153 (29er). I think the link is worth it if you currently have a problem balancing big hit bottom out versus small bump. Overall the rear end seems to track better over chunk at speed. Its NOT a night & day difference but its for sure noticeable / better. The biggest difference I noticed was on larger drops / jumps. I felt the bike was more composed on landing and not blowing past the mid stroke as fast. VERY noticeable improvement over the stock link. Medium size jumps (15-20' doubles) were a bit different feeling than the stock link. Seemed as I was getting more pop off the lip of the jump using the same technique as I always do. Took a couple sessions down very familiar jumps to get the feel for the new link. Slow climbing also felt smoother with the rear more willing to track up/over.

Was running 190 PSI using stock link 25% (ish) sag; 200 PSI new link aprrox 30% sag. also added a click of compression.

I installed the link myself reusing all the old hardware. On a side note; make sure to take the back retaining bolt out of the pivot hardware before doing anything else.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
I got one as well, but have yet to install it. Thanks for sharing!

wcantwel wrote:
For what its worth: Received & installed the Cascade Components link on my 153 (29er). I think the link is worth it if you currently have a problem balancing big hit bottom out versus small bump. Overall the rear end seems to track better over chunk at speed. Its NOT a night & day difference but its for sure noticeable / better. The biggest difference I noticed was on larger drops / jumps. I felt the bike was more composed on landing and not blowing past the mid stroke as fast. VERY noticeable improvement over the stock link. Medium size jumps (15-20' doubles) were a bit different feeling than the stock link. Seemed as I was getting more pop off the lip of the jump using the same technique as I always do. Took a couple sessions down very familiar jumps to get the feel for the new link. Slow climbing also felt smoother with the rear more willing to track up/over.

Was running 190 PSI using stock link 25% (ish) sag; 200 PSI new link aprrox 30% sag. also added a click of compression.

I installed the link myself reusing all the old hardware. On a side note; make sure to take the back retaining bolt out of the pivot hardware before doing anything else.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018633
Mobile Version of Website