Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
Hi guys!

it's time for me to replace some bearings on my kona process 153 (2019) but i have no idea how to disassemble the midle part of the link. Can anyone tell me how to get this piece out of the frame? Thanks in advance Smile !

https://ibb.co/6wsN6Vy
https://ibb.co/4mD9C5m

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
CalvX wrote:
Hi guys!

it's time for me to replace some bearings on my kona process 153 (2019) but i have no idea how to disassemble the midle part of the link. Can anyone tell me how to get this piece out of the frame? Thanks in advance Smile !

https://ibb.co/6wsN6Vy
https://ibb.co/4mD9C5m

I used a socket and gently tapped it with a mallet. Should come out fairly easily. (at least mine did).

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
CaseyJ04 wrote:
Just got a fresh coat of paint on my Kona and I am pumped on how it turned out so I thought I'd share it. Hope yall like it.

That’s a sick process , I’m in the process Wink of painting my Capra but damn the sanding is taking forever I already have about 6 hours into it . It’s my first time attempting a paint job

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 22:07 Quote
Elchiludo1 wrote:
That’s a sick process , I’m in the process Wink of painting my Capra but damn the sanding is taking forever I already have about 6 hours into it . It’s my first time attempting a paint job

I'm in the middle of prepping my frame for a respray, I'm not sanding back the original paint,only keying it with steel wool/cleaning pad,just enough for the new coat to grip onto the frame, hopefully it works out!

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
Simann wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:
Also- would like to take out a shock spacer to get 62.5mm stroke/160mm travel...anyone have experience with either of these things?

I put on a DVO Jade with a 62.5 stroke. Definitely nicer on DH runs/drops, but for general trail riding, I prefer the air/shorter stroke shock. An air shock with a longer shock would be the way to go for the trails we have here in the northeast, IMO. Also, still bottoming out out big drops too easily, even with a stiffer spring than recommended. Supposedly, the new Cascade Components link will solve that issue. I’m not pumping more money into making it ride right though. I wish I had waited or known the X was coming out. My XL 2019 with 515 reach and 425 chainstays is just too unbalanced for me. Time to sell it and move on to something else.

Unbalanced? Try a shorter stem and/or moving seat forward so less weight is over the rear end. Putting more weight over that 66' head tube will help the rear end feel less "twitchy."
This is the whole reason so many geometries are getting steeper seat tubes (77-79') as the front ends get more slack (63-65'), e.g. Privateer and Commencal for instance, though those are 29er's now, the chain stays on those frames are pretty damn short around 430-435mm. For them to give the rider the same amount of traction, they need to move the weight forward, this simultaneously increases reach.
You could also try running wider bars, I currently run 800mm, definitely more input needed than a 750-760mm bar, but also helps minimize sensitive steering.

Increasing the stroke of the shock will do nothing for bottom-out resistance. The G2 Process has a pretty progressive leverage curve out of the box, so this tells me you also may be running a coil spring that is too soft. Or, you could try a progressive coil spring like Cane Creek's Vault.

Refer to this press release:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kona-process-2018-first-look.html

You also could look at the MegNeg air can for the Super Deluxe. With a volume spacer or two, it seems to be a favorite middle ground, hitting the sweet spot like the Fox X2 for taking big hits and still being compliant enough for single-track trails.
For me, that may be the next part I throw on since I'm 215 lbs. geared up. I'm no longer running the DPX2 on my Niner RIP9 for the same reason, blowing through travel and honestly was a little too playful. Adding volume spacers and dialing back rebound just did not feel right at all. Now, the Fox X2, though tedious to tune in, is a ridiculously compliant shock, really improved the traction on my RIP9 and still playful. If the MegNeg air can will make my Process feel the same, then it beats a heavy coil shock.

Coincidence the guys at The Lost Co. just uploaded an X2 vs Super Deluxe vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50CYyFeZs4

So for me the imbalance I feel is strictly in climbs on the xl frame With long seat post...wish it had a slightly steeper ST angle and maybe 5-10mm linger chainstays-definitely don’t want to change the way the bike handles on descents much if at all. Another issue I have is with the longer fork offset I find myself much more comfortable on a 50mm stem as a 35 makes it hard for me to properly weight the front end on climbs and berms- as well as making it feel a bit twitchy. Would love to get the short offset lyrik but that’s a lot of dough for a very small change so 50mm stem it is.

As for the shock a 60-65mm stroke super deluxe use the same body with different spacers inside- my megneg arrived today and I’m thinking about removing 2.5mm of spacer to extend the stroke to 62.5- creating a 159 rear travel plus the progression and adjustability of megneg. Already did the 170 2021 air spring in the lyrik and love that... currently running 235 psi and 3 tokens in super deluxe and blow through the mid stroke- anymore psi and it gets pretty harsh and I’m thinking a gnar dog is going to do the same...I am 210 with gear so we are in a very similar situation I just don’t think the stock shocks are tuned to perform great for guys are size.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:
Simann wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:

I put on a DVO Jade with a 62.5 stroke. Definitely nicer on DH runs/drops, but for general trail riding, I prefer the air/shorter stroke shock. An air shock with a longer shock would be the way to go for the trails we have here in the northeast, IMO. Also, still bottoming out out big drops too easily, even with a stiffer spring than recommended. Supposedly, the new Cascade Components link will solve that issue. I’m not pumping more money into making it ride right though. I wish I had waited or known the X was coming out. My XL 2019 with 515 reach and 425 chainstays is just too unbalanced for me. Time to sell it and move on to something else.

Unbalanced? Try a shorter stem and/or moving seat forward so less weight is over the rear end. Putting more weight over that 66' head tube will help the rear end feel less "twitchy."
This is the whole reason so many geometries are getting steeper seat tubes (77-79') as the front ends get more slack (63-65'), e.g. Privateer and Commencal for instance, though those are 29er's now, the chain stays on those frames are pretty damn short around 430-435mm. For them to give the rider the same amount of traction, they need to move the weight forward, this simultaneously increases reach.
You could also try running wider bars, I currently run 800mm, definitely more input needed than a 750-760mm bar, but also helps minimize sensitive steering.

Increasing the stroke of the shock will do nothing for bottom-out resistance. The G2 Process has a pretty progressive leverage curve out of the box, so this tells me you also may be running a coil spring that is too soft. Or, you could try a progressive coil spring like Cane Creek's Vault.

You also could look at the MegNeg air can for the Super Deluxe. With a volume spacer or two, it seems to be a favorite middle ground, hitting the sweet spot like the Fox X2 for taking big hits and still being compliant enough for single-track trails.
For me, that may be the next part I throw on since I'm 215 lbs. geared up. I'm no longer running the DPX2 on my Niner RIP9 for the same reason, blowing through travel and honestly was a little too playful. Adding volume spacers and dialing back rebound just did not feel right at all. Now, the Fox X2, though tedious to tune in, is a ridiculously compliant shock, really improved the traction on my RIP9 and still playful. If the MegNeg air can will make my Process feel the same, then it beats a heavy coil shock.

So for me the imbalance I feel is strictly in climbs on the xl frame With long seat post...wish it had a slightly steeper ST angle and maybe 5-10mm linger chainstays-definitely don’t want to change the way the bike handles on descents much if at all. Another issue I have is with the longer fork offset I find myself much more comfortable on a 50mm stem as a 35 makes it hard for me to properly weight the front end on climbs and berms- as well as making it feel a bit twitchy. Would love to get the short offset lyrik but that’s a lot of dough for a very small change so 50mm stem it is.

As for the shock a 60-65mm stroke super deluxe use the same body with different spacers inside- my megneg arrived today and I’m thinking about removing 2.5mm of spacer to extend the stroke to 62.5- creating a 159 rear travel plus the progression and adjustability of megneg. Already did the 170 2021 air spring in the lyrik and love that... currently running 235 psi and 3 tokens in super deluxe and blow through the mid stroke- anymore psi and it gets pretty harsh and I’m thinking a gnar dog is going to do the same...I am 210 with gear so we are in a very similar situation I just don’t think the stock shocks are tuned to perform great for guys are size.

I absolutely agree with you about the OE shock valving, and I think the MegNeg will definitely improve the mid-stroke support, from the reviews, you will add more pressure than current to reach the same sag. I may try the MegNeg this winter after I get the current setup dialed in, but I have a feeling a coil will be going on regardless, the Cane Creek progressive coil will most likely be the go-to.

As far as the front end feeling twitchy, what size tires and handle bar width are you running?

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
[/PI]
Elchiludo1 wrote:
CaseyJ04 wrote:
Just got a fresh coat of paint on my Kona and I am pumped on how it turned out so I thought I'd share it. Hope yall like it.

Thanks man! Yeah painting does take forever. There is so much time in prep and taping for this paint job. I’d like to see how your Capra turns out when it’s finished so make sure to post pics! Here’s another one of the bike in its natural habitat.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 7:53 Quote
I've seen a few people bring up the Cascade Components link in the last few days. Figured I'd throw a picture and tiny review out there since I've had mine installed for a few weeks now. Before the link, I had a 62.5mm stroke X2 installed, along with an offset bushing in the lower shock pivot. That had the bike set up at ~160mm, retaining the stock BB height, and a 65deg HTA. I really enjoyed this setup. Once I installed the Cascade Link, I confirmed that there was not sufficient clearance between the seat stay bridge and seat tube. With the offset bushing removed and replaced with the stock bushing, there is about 2mm of clearance (with the 62.5mm stroke shock). With a 60mm stroke shock, and the offset bushing, there is about 5mm of clearance, which is what it has been with my OEM linkage / 62.5mm / offset bushing setup. At this point, I feel like I'm getting the best all around - very noticeable small bump compliance, slightly slacker HTA (65), and near-impossible-bottom-out. I have it set up at 28% sag (but effectively something closer to 33% with the offset bushing), and I added 4 clicks of low speed compression, and slowed low speed rebound down by 4 clicks. The high speed stuff felt good at my old settings, with the link really active now during the chundery stuff.

I've always been attracted to the Process because of its hard-to-find balance of monster-truck performance at high speed, and poppy/playful/etc at medium or slow speed. A proper set up with the Cascade Link bias' things a little more toward the monster truck side, but still very much retains the get-in-the-air feel of the bike. Note the Cascade Link is exactly 0.5lb heavier than the OEM carbon link.

And yes, I'm aware of the Transition brand bottle...

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
Simann wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:
Simann wrote:

I absolutely agree with you about the OE shock valving, and I think the MegNeg will definitely improve the mid-stroke support, from the reviews, you will add more pressure than current to reach the same sag. I may try the MegNeg this winter after I get the current setup dialed in, but I have a feeling a coil will be going on regardless, the Cane Creek progressive coil will most likely be the go-to.

As far as the front end feeling twitchy, what size tires and handle bar width are you running?

Minion dhf 2.5 exo+ front and dhr 2 2.3 DD rear. ENVE M7 40mm rise 800mm width.
Tried stock (too low), DMR Defy 35 and 50 stem...35 is nicer for decent sand manuals but was having trouble weighting the front especially climbs and berms, and feeling balanced in the air. 50 better for climbs and gets rid of twitching on slow moderate climbs/flat- much easier to point and shoot- like I said I believe a lot has to do with the 27.5” 47mm (long) offset lyric but don’t want to pay $600+ for 9mm shorter offset

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:

Tried stock (too low), DMR Defy 35 and 50 stem...35 is nicer for decent sand manuals but was having trouble weighting the front especially climbs and berms, and feeling balanced in the air. 50 better for climbs and gets rid of twitching on slow moderate climbs/flat- much easier to point and shoot- like I said I believe a lot has to do with the 27.5” 47mm (long) offset lyric but don’t want to pay $600+ for 9mm shorter offset

At your (and my) weight and height, you absolutely need to move up to a 2.6" front and 2.5" rear.

My rear DHR 2.5" clears perfectly fine on a 30mm wide rim. The 2.6" Assegai up front adds way more contact patch, allows you to weight the front end a little more and definitely decreased twitchiness, and the turn in grip is monstrous. The 2.5" out back is sublime, way more grip on turn in, definitely decreases skittish behavior out back, but retains the bikes characteristic playfulness.

Going up in size also allows you to run a little less air pressure and the ride improvement is pretty significant across the board.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 19:07 Quote
Simann wrote:
Lukejacob10 wrote:

At your (and my) weight and height, you absolutely need to move up to a 2.6" front and 2.5" rear.

My rear DHR 2.5" clears perfectly fine on a 30mm wide rim. The 2.6" Assegai up front adds way more contact patch, allows you to weight the front end a little more and definitely decreased twitchiness, and the turn in grip is monstrous. The 2.5" out back is sublime, way more grip on turn in, definitely decreases skittish behavior out back, but retains the bikes characteristic playfulness.

Going up in size also allows you to run a little less air pressure and the ride improvement is pretty significant across the board.

Interesting...I just got new tires in may because I got a flat And they were getting shabby- just went with stock sizes bc I was worried about things getting flimsy on turns nearing + size territory. But, I have found myself running at least 30 front and 33 rear to avoid Square hit pings. Really don’t want to ditch the tires with only 200 mi on them...maybe I’ll slide the dhf out back and just get a new 2.6 assegai for the front. Ironically, I’ve just started having fun learning how to get the back end drifty. It is crazy to me how much I can feel minor tweaks on the bike though and being the first season fir me I’m just trying to figure everything out- thank you for the tips!

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
so this may be a dumb question but my brother has a 2015 process 153. and has an opportunity to grab a fox van rc coil for the rear, its the correct length but would it bolt up to the frame a linkage as is? it looks like the shock on it may be "indexed" differently to mount to the rear "wishbone" link.
thanks!

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Burntfries36 wrote:
so this may be a dumb question but my brother has a 2015 process 153. and has an opportunity to grab a fox van rc coil for the rear, its the correct length but would it bolt up to the frame a linkage as is? it looks like the shock on it may be "indexed" differently to mount to the rear "wishbone" link.
thanks!

I'm doubtful he will be able to just switch everything over from the existing shock hardware to the Coil. Kinda depends on what rear shock he is currently running (FOX vs RockShox). A FOX bushing kit is probably needed. The "Wishbone" link will mount up to any normal correct sized shock with the correct bushings, etc. FYI; the Vanilla RC is a decently aged shock....

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
Burntfries36 wrote:
thanks!

The wishbone side of the shock is just a shock eyelet without bushings. So you'd most likely have to press out any bushings in that side of the shock, like the metal inserts with red coating or the off white fox ones.

The existing rockshox bushings should fit on the top tube mount of the fox shock as long as it has the metal shock eyelet bushing in that side. Rockshox reducers work with any shock with the metal eyelet bushings & .5" eyelets. Fox reducers will work with any shock with .5" eyelets & fox's off white plastic bushings.

That being said the Van RC is ancient and I'm not sure the G1 process has enough built in progression to keep it from bottoming out horribly. Worth a shot though if it's free.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
So I got the new shock mounted , but the shock wouldn’t fit with the end caps I pulled from the Stock shock .. it has a slight play side to side. Any idea what size spacer caps I need ? It’s a 2020 dpx2

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008891
Mobile Version of Website