Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 0:15 Quote
Simann wrote:
okidou wrote:
You don't want to balance it back with short offset, honestly. 170 rides great

Extending the fork length (by travel) will decrease the HTA and increase the wheelbase. Typically its reduced 0.5 degrees per 10mm of fork travel increase. As well, the wheelbase increases a bit, based on geometry, around 5mm, so going up to 170 and decreasing offset would essentially preserve his wheelbase, slack the HTA to 65-65.5. Not going to "unbalance" his bike at all. If anything, it would allow him to put a little more weight over the front end for traction, the Process was, and still is, a long reach frame.
So do you think 44 is the way to go ? I’ve been looking up some more about it and I think 170 will increase trail and then shorter offset also increases trail.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
Trialsiain wrote:
So do you think 44 is the way to go ? I’ve been looking up some more about it and I think 170 will increase trail and then shorter offset also increases trail.

During compression, yes, your trail would be a few millimeters shorter. But again, we are talking a few millimeters, not anything significant like 20+mm....Frankly, nothing that you would be able to perceive in ride quality or performance.

42 or 44 offset (Rock Shox or Fox) should be just fine. For what its worth, the ZEB with the 38mm offset feels fantastic.

Its a weird thing Kona spec'd some of their bikes with a 51mm offset, I think a fork manufacturer likely had a glut of 51 mm offset forks sitting in a warehouse and cut them a killer deal to put on their for their complete builds. *Remember, typically manufacturers have disclaimers stating that parts on their complete builds are subject to change without notice...*

With a frame as progressive (long reach, short chainstay, slack HTA) as the Process, I really doubt Kona made a decision to design a frame with a 51mm offset fork in mind.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
okidou wrote:
It's a question of preference. I put a 170 aur spring in my yari and prefer it that way... all is not about number but about the feel you get, and what one prefer.

Increasing stack by increasing travel on 27.5 is a good thing, at least when it comes to pointing the nose down a steep decent. Ha!

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
Simann wrote:
Trialsiain wrote:

During compression, yes, your trail would be a few millimeters shorter. But again, we are talking a few millimeters, not anything significant like 20+mm....Frankly, nothing that you would be able to perceive in ride quality or performance.

42 or 44 offset (Rock Shox or Fox) should be just fine. For what its worth, the ZEB with the 38mm offset feels fantastic.

Its a weird thing Kona spec'd some of their bikes with a 51mm offset, I think a fork manufacturer likely had a glut of 51 mm offset forks sitting in a warehouse and cut them a killer deal to put on their for their complete builds. *Remember, typically manufacturers have disclaimers stating that parts on their complete builds are subject to change without notice...*

With a frame as progressive (long reach, short chainstay, slack HTA) as the Process, I really doubt Kona made a decision to design a frame with a 51mm offset fork in mind.
How does your Zeb feel compared to other forks you’ve rode ? My mind wandered now I’m looking at ZEBS as I guess it will be more of an upgrade. I read the axle to crown is 8mm higher than a lyrik so will be a big increase in height if I go from the 160 yari to 170 ZEB...~18mm. They do look bloody good though.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
Trialsiain wrote:
How does your Zeb feel compared to other forks you’ve rode ? My mind wandered now I’m looking at ZEBS as I guess it will be more of an upgrade. I read the axle to crown is 8mm higher than a lyrik so will be a big increase in height if I go from the 160 yari to 170 ZEB...~18mm. They do look bloody good though.

Today was the first day on some flow trails and jumps and it feels simply amazing. Small bump sensitivity of the Pike and Lyrik (same 2.1 damper) but its noticeably stiffer than the Lyrik Ultimate I ran on a previous bike, and as crazy as it is to say, definitely stiffer chassis than my Fox Factory 36. The fork crown has a lot to do with it I think, its massive, dwarfs a Fox 36 crown. Overall, for a guy my size (74" and 215 lbs) it makes sense to have such a burly fork. Its not a "yeah I think I may notice something" kind of difference, its a literal "holy shit this fork does not budge at all" kind of difference. was plowing through rock gardens today without thinking, its really that good.

The best review i've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHR20lYAOwQ

You mentioned a taller axle-to-crown, and on the Process 153 27.5, I think thats a good thing. Personally, I like a higher stack, still easy for me to weight the front end, but definitely keeps weight off my hands on longer rides.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 23:56 Quote
Simann wrote:
Trialsiain wrote:

Today was the first day on some flow trails and jumps and it feels simply amazing. Small bump sensitivity of the Pike and Lyrik (same 2.1 damper) but its noticeably stiffer than the Lyrik Ultimate I ran on a previous bike, and as crazy as it is to say, definitely stiffer chassis than my Fox Factory 36. The fork crown has a lot to do with it I think, its massive, dwarfs a Fox 36 crown. Overall, for a guy my size (74" and 215 lbs) it makes sense to have such a burly fork. Its not a "yeah I think I may notice something" kind of difference, its a literal "holy shit this fork does not budge at all" kind of difference. was plowing through rock gardens today without thinking, its really that good.

The best review i've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHR20lYAOwQ

You mentioned a taller axle-to-crown, and on the Process 153 27.5, I think thats a good thing. Personally, I like a higher stack, still easy for me to weight the front end, but definitely keeps weight off my hands on longer rides.
Getting me tempted. I am around 200lbs and it’s the 29er I’m riding. I guess if it feels like a monster truck can always go back to 160 and still be 8mm higher .

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
Trialsiain wrote:
Simann wrote:
Trialsiain wrote:

Replaced my ‘19 160 mill with the ‘21 170 mill air spring so I’m roughly 15-20mm higher now considering the old air springs problem with sucking into the travel...I only have good things to say about it- PR’d every trail I ride on the first ride with the new spring - I think especially if you are taller it is a must (I’m 6’4” 200lbs). I like it so much I’ve considered going to 180 with a new Angleset or going to a mullet setup but I’ve decided on getting a second bike (downhill) instead of compromising and making the Kona too burly for my local stuff but not quite enough for the lift weekends.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
How many guys have a downhill in addition to a process? I rode snowshoe this last weekend(first time at a gravity park) and it’s addicting but I found myself on the heels of a buddy riding a DH whose been riding for about 3 years- 2 longer then me..problem is the rock gardens made arm pump all too real and I had trouble getting the fork to resist bottoming without feeling too harsh on top/middle. Black diamond techy stuff got a little sketch on the process too, especially compared to when I rode another buddies rented dh through the same track back to back with the Kona: mainly I was really analyzing the line on the Kona and on the DH it was just so much more planted- lean back, point, shoot....sure I need to improve my skills but I’m only getting older and the DH just felt so much nicer, especially since all the flow trails are practically smaller rock gardens...anyone else in this boat or am I crazy?

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 19:36 Quote
There’s no substitute for a full on DH bike. ^^

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Process Operator combo is amazing. The Process is awesome, but there is just something about a big bike for the really rowdy lines and when riding bike parks to not beat the cr@p out of your trail bike.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
Lukejacob10 wrote:
How many guys have a downhill in addition to a process?

I got rid of my downhill rig when I picked up the process. I've been riding for a while though, so I don't really feel as though the process is holding me back that much at the park. Sure, it's a little bit less plush but considering I usually get less than ten lift days in a year (lol, zero this year) I'll take the arm pump over having to maintain and house two shred bikes. Also, arm pump generally isn't a huge deal for me even at the lifts so keep in mind that as your familiarity with the bike grows and as you ride heavier stuff, you should be able to deal with that more easily. Double blacks, single blacks, or whatever other arbitrarily-rated trails are eaten up by my process so you can definitely expect more confidence the more you time you put in on the thing.

If you've only been riding for a year, I'd suggest putting some thought into whether you really need that DH bike. Unless you can easily afford that business and plan on riding a lot of lift runs in the future, it might just end up as "another thing" in your garage. You might be ok with that, but I am definitely not.

As other people have said, DH does what it's built for best and even a dialed process makes a few compromises here and there so you'll definitely notice a difference. If you really want one, go for it. I just think you shouldn't be held back by your current bike and given a bit of time, you "might" find a second bike unnecessary.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
I slackened out my process 153 29 with a 1° Works Components angleset
I swapped a spacer round to keep my bars the same height
Its brilliant, took me a ride to adjust to the handling on the flat and climbs
Descents just seen smoother , instant confidence boost

I think the 21 Process which is 1.5° slacker will be a beast of a bike and great at DH/ park

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Kimbers wrote:
I slackened out my process 153 29 with a 1° Works Components angleset
I swapped a spacer round to keep my bars the same height
Its brilliant, took me a ride to adjust to the handling on the flat and climbs
Descents just seen smoother , instant confidence boost

I think the 21 Process which is 1.5° slacker will be a beast of a bike and great at DH/ park

Agreed. The Process X looks stunning too! Especially the black with gold flake pain job.

https://konaworld.com/process_x.cfm

Question about the Process 153. Been looking to buy a used one, and it seems a lot of sellers are offering bikes with new warrantied frames. Have there been a lot of manufacturing issues with the Carbon Process 153?

TheR wrote:
Question about the Process 153. Been looking to buy a used one, and it seems a lot of sellers are offering bikes with new warrantied frames. Have there been a lot of manufacturing issues with the Carbon Process 153?

I've not heard of any.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007237
Mobile Version of Website