Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
Have any of you switched the decals on your bikes? I hate the mint green On mine haha

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 5:56 Quote
Elchiludo1 wrote:
Have any of you switched the decals on your bikes? I hate the mint green On mine haha

I'm pretty sure Kona sprays clear coat over the decals, so your best bet is custom layovers.

https://www.slikgraphics.com/

Fast shipping, highest quality out there.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
Has anyone mounted a OneUp Bash Guard/Chain Guide on a 2019 Process 153 CR, 27.5 wheel size? For some reason the ISCG tabs are different than any I’ve ever seen. 2 of the lower tabs are in line and fine, but the upper one is set back? Meaning I need a longer bolt and spacer than the ones OneUp supplied. I did email OneUp and this is what they said,

“On one model of Kona for some unknown reason, they moved the top ISCG bolt ( I think 20mm inbound ). You'll need to get a longer bolt and a spacer. I'd email Kona and get the corect size bolt and spacer as you do need to run the top bolt.”

I’m still going to email Kona, but just thought maybe someone on here has a solution or a fix for this issue. Thanks in advance for any help and thoughts on this.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 7:11 Quote
Man, I would just hit up a hardware store.

Personally, I'm just running a bash guard now, with the newer tooth profiles on narrow wide chainrings (including Shimano Hyperglide+), chain drop is basically a thing of the past. At least I have not had an issue with it since using Wolf Tooth or Absolute Black chainrings.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
Simann wrote:
Man, I would just hit up a hardware store.

Personally, I'm just running a bash guard now, with the newer tooth profiles on narrow wide chainrings (including Shimano Hyperglide+), chain drop is basically a thing of the past. At least I have not had an issue with it since using Wolf Tooth or Absolute Black chainrings.
I’d agree. I rarely, if ever drop a chain these days.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
Ya, I understand dropped chains don’t happen as much as they use to, but this is an all in one unit. And I’m sure I’m not the first guy to run a set up like this, that’s why I was hoping for someone to have had the same issue. I get the hardware store thing, but I was hoping for a correct and proper fix for this problem. Thanks for the input though! ???? Still waiting to hear back from Kona to see what they have to say.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
I knew I've seen a discussion about this recessed top tab.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=213819

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
Hey okidou! Thanks! That is exactly what I’m talking about! Crazy set up eh! Hoping OneUp or Kona come up with some parts to fix the problem. The bike is nice and I don’t want just any ghetto fix, ya know what I mean. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
William from Trail Labs hooked me up again, this time with a shock and spring. Went with the Marzocchi Bomber CR and a Cane Creek Valt progressive coil. I had Slik Graphics make me some stealth decals to match the ZEB fork. Pretty simple "set it and forget it" shock. Slightly heavier than the Super Deluxe with the MegNeg, but whose counting? LOL

I plan on hitting some rougher trails this weekend to see how it feels against the SDU with MegNeg.

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 5:43 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
Do you read bro???

Bruh, can you be helpful?

@aaronglenn - check out page 44 and there is some discussion about the Cascade linkage. FWIW - I bought one and have yet to install, but looking forward to it.

Thank you.. read it... Making travel around 160mm is not bad.... I think that would be my next order as i am happy with the stock rear shock...

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
wcantwel wrote:
For what its worth: Received & installed the Cascade Components link on my 153 (29er). I think the link is worth it if you currently have a problem balancing big hit bottom out versus small bump. Overall the rear end seems to track better over chunk at speed. Its NOT a night & day difference but its for sure noticeable / better. The biggest difference I noticed was on larger drops / jumps. I felt the bike was more composed on landing and not blowing past the mid stroke as fast. VERY noticeable improvement over the stock link. Medium size jumps (15-20' doubles) were a bit different feeling than the stock link. Seemed as I was getting more pop off the lip of the jump using the same technique as I always do. Took a couple sessions down very familiar jumps to get the feel for the new link. Slow climbing also felt smoother with the rear more willing to track up/over.

Was running 190 PSI using stock link 25% (ish) sag; 200 PSI new link aprrox 30% sag. also added a click of compression.

I installed the link myself reusing all the old hardware. On a side note; make sure to take the back retaining bolt out of the pivot hardware before doing anything else.

Thank you for posting. How is it now? Do you tjink it's worth the upgrade? As i am planning to buy a rear shock but then i am already actually happy with the current one. So decided to look at the cascade linkage but i need some input on those that've tried one...

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
@ aaronglenn : After quite a bit of ride time on the Cascade Components (C.C.) link I would still purchase it again over trying a new shock first. Stock the DPX2 on my bike felt decent but with the C.C. Link it feels much better. Small bump at trail speed the rear end tracks better. Not night/day difference but its for sure noticeable (better). I'm no longer comfort braking into sections I normally would. #1 thing I noticed over the stock link is smoother more supportive midstroke. With the C.C. link I feel the shock no longer blows through the midstroke as easily to the bottom. For me this was most noticeable on Med/Larger jumps & drops. Landings are much smoother and composed. I have yet to bottom out harshly with the C.C. link where I would bottom out the stock link at least every other ride. The extra 7mm of travel might be helping with this.

I personally went with the C.C. link over a new shock because I was fairly happy with my current shock. C.C. description of what the link does ticked all the boxes for what I felt was "wrong" with my bike. IMO a coil shock doesn't really work with the stock progression curve of the current gen. process without tinkering with progressive rate coils/spring rates. My thought on the C.C. link is its a win/win. Its cheaper than most new shock upgrades, and if you find it doesn't improve shock performance enough you can always upgrade the rear shock also. At least that was my train of thought.....If the C.C. Link didn't "fix" my issues I would also be upgrading the shock. Its probably the #2 upgrade/change I have made to any bike I have owned. #1 was switching out RS Monarch with a DVO Topaz on a 2014 Process 134.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
Has anyone moved from 170mm Lyric to a 170mm Zeb? Curious how a shorter offset and the massive size of the Zeb altered the height of the front end. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
Yo, I'm considering making a Kona Process 153 or a Trek Remedy 8 my first FS and wanted to gather some insight from actual owners. I ride mainly flow trails with some technical stuff and features, but I found a great bike park this season that I'll be making frequent trips to from now on. I guess my question is, how would the Remedy hold up to my style of riding. I want something that is going to be great on trails and also great at the bike park. I'll be hitting the jumps and drops as often as I can so I want it to hold up. But I'd also like the bike to be poppy and maneuverable. Any input would help, thanks yall.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 21:10 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
Yo, I'm considering making a Kona Process 153 or a Trek Remedy 8 my first FS and wanted to gather some insight from actual owners. I ride mainly flow trails with some technical stuff and features, but I found a great bike park this season that I'll be making frequent trips to from now on. I guess my question is, how would the Remedy hold up to my style of riding. I want something that is going to be great on trails and also great at the bike park. I'll be hitting the jumps and drops as often as I can so I want it to hold up. But I'd also like the bike to be poppy and maneuverable. Any input would help, thanks yall.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe a Kona 153 and Trek Slash would be more directly comparable. The Slash is more enduro-ish whereas the Remedy is more all-mountain - IMO.

If you do in fact mean the Remedy, I would go with the Kona. If you mean Slash, I would go with the Kona.

In full transparency, I’ve only ridden the Trek bikes in a parking lot.

Now, the reason for the Kona really comes down to 2 things at a high-level.
1. Solid components across the board: Kona givens you a fantastic price for great components. By that I mean, you’ll get a solid spec list at a great price.
2. Durability: Trek is really a race company. From the road bikes to the non-DH Mountain bikes, they’ve invested a lot of money in trimming weight for more speed. Kona is no pig though, the slightly heavier frame feels and rides with a confidence inspiring feeling. It’s hard to explain, but I think the Kona will be the better overall solution to your situation.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007497
Mobile Version of Website