Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
patch92 wrote:
Hey guys. Brand new kona process 153 cr 29 owner here.
Got a question / concern for y’all. I have about 20 miles on the bike. And the shock linkage is already popping and creaking. Is this a common theme on these bikes? Or should I already be concerned? Thanks guys.

I had a similar thing, the frame bearings didn’t have any grease in them from factory. I’d just pull it apart and grease the bearings(remove seals) hardware and contact points. That solved it for me.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
patch92 wrote:
Hey guys. Brand new kona process 153 cr 29 owner here.
Got a question / concern for y’all. I have about 20 miles on the bike. And the shock linkage is already popping and creaking. Is this a common theme on these bikes? Or should I already be concerned? Thanks guys.

Had this after maybe 3 rides on my 153 AL 2018. Just undid the trunnion bolts, put the shock away (pay attention to spacers and side). Cleaned everything, there may be just little dirt there, re-mounted everything, torqued to specs and was perfect after that.
Had to do the same to main pivot once.

Check also that you BB, cranks, chainring mount are clean as already said... had creaks there but always solved by a good cleaning.

And those are all pretty easy to do.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
aaronglenn wrote:
ktm48 wrote:
Hi All,

I just ordered a brand new 2018 Process 153 CR today. I've been reading alot about enduro bikes and it just seemed like such a great deal, I said F it and pulled the trigger. I hope this bike turns out to be what I'm looking for!

Not much of a mountain biker, but I started doing DH last year and I love it. Figured I'd start riding some trails too. My DH bike does not want to do it. I'm hoping that I like this process enough to sell the downhill bike. Would much rather have 1 bike that does it all.

Bought mine this year, 153AL 2020 version and i really enjoyed it especially with the Jumps, Technical Section, Etc. It is very playful and confident inspiring bike..

Congratulations on your new rig

Thanks! Can't wait to ride it on Tuesday

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
Hey everyone,

Looking at possibly getting a new bike in the spring next year and the Kona process 153 crdl 27.5 (how many letters and numbers can they cram in??) and Santa Cruz Bronson are quite interesting to me. I recently moved to Bellingham, Washington and I am realizing that the norco range I am riding is quite a beast to get into the air. I am really starting to enjoy and get better at jumping and would like my next bike to be a decent jumper as well as pedal a bit better than my range.

Does anyone have experience to compare these two bikes? Alos, how does the process do when jumping? I would really like a ride that is more poppy and supportive compared to the plow-through nature of my range.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Hey everyone,

Looking at possibly getting a new bike in the spring next year and the Kona process 153 crdl 27.5 (how many letters and numbers can they cram in??) and Santa Cruz Bronson are quite interesting to me. I recently moved to Bellingham, Washington and I am realizing that the norco range I am riding is quite a beast to get into the air. I am really starting to enjoy and get better at jumping and would like my next bike to be a decent jumper as well as pedal a bit better than my range.

Does anyone have experience to compare these two bikes? Alos, how does the process do when jumping? I would really like a ride that is more poppy and supportive compared to the plow-through nature of my range.

Thanks!

I would head over to the Kona shop in Bellingham and try one for the day. They rent them, then you get to ride side by side.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
Any CR owners here find that the internal cable routing can be quite rattly when riding? I spent the whole ride yesterday trying to nail down where the rattle was coming from, and I think it’s the internal cable routing slapping around. Anyone else?

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
patch92 wrote:
Any CR owners here find that the internal cable routing can be quite rattly when riding? I spent the whole ride yesterday trying to nail down where the rattle was coming from, and I think it’s the internal cable routing slapping around. Anyone else?

I have not experienced what you are describing. My Cr 153 is a very quite bike.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
patch92 wrote:

I have not experienced what you are describing. My Cr 153 is a very quite bike.

Dang. Lucky you. I’ve had nothing but issues thus far with this bike. 2 weeks old. Already have a possibly frame crack. Gonna see what the shop says today.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

I have tried both and find them to be very similar. I find the carbon Kona to be very stable and yet very poppy and playful. I jump on this bike as well as any other bike I have ridden and probably pop it higher on jumps than most bikes I have ridden or raced on. got mine a few months ago and it really surprised me how playful and yet stable it is. I think the combination of the long front end and short chainstays is what makes it handle so well. Best cornering bike I have ever ridden bar none. I have broken all of not just my downhill enduro Pr's but also all my climbing PR's on this bike. It sits in the very sweet spot that I had been searching for and is amazing.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
Thanks for the info buddy (pun intended)! What would you say are some notes differences between the two bikes?

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Thanks for the info buddy (pun intended)! What would you say are some notes differences between the two bikes?

The are really not that different. I find that the bronson is a little more chattery than the Kona but that could just be the suspension difference. The Bronson I rode had a pike for and a deluxe shock on it. The Kona has a lyrik fork and a super deluxe shock. These are the 2019 models I am comparing. The thing that swung me to the Kona is the way it fit me. It just felt like it was made for me. Hard to explain, but it just fits me great.

The Bronson in large has a 455 reach and the Kona Large has a 475 reach. bronson head angle 65.1 Kona 66. Bronson Seat angle 75 and Kona 76. Wheelbase is about the same on both bikes, which speaks to the shorter chainstays on the Kona because it has a longer reach but the same wheelbase. I like the 66 degree head angle better than the 65 because it makes the bike more agile but still steady with the longer front end. The Kona climbs better because of the steeper seat tube angle.

That's my 2 cents and good luck. If you get a chance to ride both, you will feel the difference, but you can't really go wrong on either one. both are great bikes.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
Awesome, I really became interested in the process when I saw the build lot of the 2020 crdl for just 500 more than the Bronson S build

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Awesome, I really became interested in the process when I saw the build lot of the 2020 crdl for just 500 more than the Bronson S build

I picked up a brand new 2019 Process 153 CR on closeout at a great price, about 2k less than the Bronson. Super glad I bought this bike. Like it so much that I sold my Transition patrol and my YT jeffsy carbon because it out performs them both and is so much fun to ride.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
Should have mine built up in a few days. Can't wait! Bought it slightly used, going through as servicing the shocks and making sure the bearings are topped off with water proof grease so it'll be ready for winter riding... I did break a bolt on the chainstay when I installed the washers reversed... Thick small inside, thin large outside in case anyone was planning on stripping it down.

Bearings were a little notchy and pretty dry. Once I got em topped off a few spins later they were good as new.

Fresh dhr going on the back, have a slight ding in the rear rim, might try some rtv to fill in any gaps... Aside from being worried that I'll need to upgrade to Shimano brakes and rotors prior to even riding I'm excited... So excited!

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
My new 2020 153cr/dl 27.5 frame is coming in today and should have it today or tomorrow. I will be building it up with a 29'' 150mm fork up front, if that works alright I might even bump it up to 160mm. I will also be attempting to run a 170mm dropper on a medium frame. Ill post pics once its done!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033367
Mobile Version of Website