Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
Simann wrote:
sasquatchclyde wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Fox Float X2 to the Rockshox Super Deluxe with Megneg on the 153? I've heard the Megneg gives a similar feel to the X2, just curious what the differences are or which one you'd prefer.

I've ran both. I can say the MegNeg on the SDU feels like the X2, but with a lot less fiddle-factor. The X2 is tiresome to dial in, where with the SDU, each adjustment is perceptible and easy to find your happy spot within a few rides. Frankly, I prefer the SDU over the X2.

Thanks for the reply!

I ask because I recently had the chance to try the megneg and the increase in small bump sensitivity was pretty mind blowing. My local climb ends with a short downhill section on a logging road made of loose, fist sized rocks. The rear was so smooth it gave me that feeling of like, did my rear tire go flat? Is my back wheel even still there?

So I’m tempted to get a megneg myself, but my 153 came with the super deluxe ultimate select plus, which only has rebound adjustment. That’s a bit limiting so I’ve had my eye on an X2 for a while. I’m afraid to shell out for the X2 and have it not feel as supple as the megneg. But the X2 matches my new fork better ???? I know that’s a terrible reason to choose a rear shock...

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 0:13 Quote
Gfromars wrote:
tight that bolt on your rear brake

Woah thanks bud! Don’t know how I missed seeing that during cleans etc! I’ve never taken off the calliper so it’s either come loose on it’s own or was never tightened by the shop when they built the bike last year (wouldn’t be surprised, had the through-bolt holding the rear suspension on my old bike not tightened after a service last year).

Will drop a chain link or two as I suspected I’d need to. Cheers fellas.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
Question and opinions on Process Stem Length:

I have a 2019 Process 153 CR 29 XL. I'm been messing around with stem length. I swapped the stock stem to 35mm stem when I changed out the bars when I first got the bike. I've recently upgraded to ONE UP carbon bars at 800mm and went back to the stock 50mm stem because I needed a 35mm clamp.

I noticed that I feel the bike climbs better with a longer stem. Given the short chain stays, I feel that this bike is sometimes hard to get your weight over the front. After both seated and especially standing climbs I felt that the longer stem helps me get more weight forward but still allowing me to stay centered over the BB in techy climbs.

While making the change form 35mm stem/780 bars to a 50mm/800mm bars, the climbing feels way better but the bike steers slower. I'm 6'3, have an extremely wide back and shoulders, and have a pretty long reach. I love the way the 800mm bars feels and love the way the bike climbs with a 50mm stem but I would like quicker steering. Should I cut down the bars or maybe drop down to a 40mm stem? I now this topic is mostly personal preference but I love hearing other Process Riders' opinions. I'm curious to hear yalls thoughts on stem length with the Process, what you length you run and why?

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
Parkershark wrote:

I have a 2019 Process 153 CR 29 XL. I'm been messing around with stem length. I swapped the stock stem to 35mm stem when I changed out the bars when I first got the bike. I've recently upgraded to ONE UP carbon bars at 800mm and went back to the stock 50mm stem because I needed a 35mm clamp.

I noticed that I feel the bike climbs better with a longer stem. Given the short chain stays, I feel that this bike is sometimes hard to get your weight over the front. After both seated and especially standing climbs I felt that the longer stem helps me get more weight forward but still allowing me to stay centered over the BB in techy climbs.

While making the change form 35mm stem/780 bars to a 50mm/800mm bars, the climbing feels way better but the bike steers slower. I'm 6'3, have an extremely wide back and shoulders, and have a pretty long reach. I love the way the 800mm bars feels and love the way the bike climbs with a 50mm stem but I would like quicker steering. Should I cut down the bars or maybe drop down to a 40mm stem? I now this topic is mostly personal preference but I love hearing other Process Riders' opinions. I'm curious to hear yalls thoughts on stem length with the Process, what you length you run and why?

I am a very similar body build and ride the exact same model as you. If you really want to run a shorter stem then maybe try moving your seat forward on the rails a bit to get your weight more over the front. I really love the 800 mm bar so I wouldn’t change that but maybe playing around with the seat will help the climbs a bit

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
Parkershark wrote:
...While making the change form 35mm stem/780 bars to a 50mm/800mm bars, the climbing feels way better but the bike steers slower. I'm 6'3, have an extremely wide back and shoulders, and have a pretty long reach. I love the way the 800mm bars feels and love the way the bike climbs with a 50mm stem but I would like quicker steering. Should I cut down the bars or maybe drop down to a 40mm stem? I now this topic is mostly personal preference but I love hearing other Process Riders' opinions. I'm curious to hear yalls thoughts on stem length with the Process, what you length you run and why?

Interesting. I ride the same bike in the same size but a 2018 and am also 6'3". I have a 37" inseam, so my saddle is high and I'm way over the back at full leg extension. Your experience sounds familiar to mine.

I believe I could be a little more stretched out and have more weight on the front wheel than as I'm set up now, which is stock.

Do you know what length the stock stem is? (Sorry, my bike is packed away in the garage for winter.)

And, to confirm: When you switched to the 50mm stem you noticed steering slow?

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
Parkershark wrote:

You could try a higher offset fork (51mm), that would decrease trail and increase steering response, I would probably pair up with a 50mm stem as well. Typically you want to pair stem length and fork offset, that is a 40mm stem with say a 42 or 44 mm offset fork, or a 51 mm offset with a 50mm stem.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
gdharries wrote:
Parkershark wrote:
...While making the change form 35mm stem/780 bars to a 50mm/800mm bars, the climbing feels way better but the bike steers slower. I'm 6'3, have an extremely wide back and shoulders, and have a pretty long reach. I love the way the 800mm bars feels and love the way the bike climbs with a 50mm stem but I would like quicker steering. Should I cut down the bars or maybe drop down to a 40mm stem? I now this topic is mostly personal preference but I love hearing other Process Riders' opinions. I'm curious to hear yalls thoughts on stem length with the Process, what you length you run and why?

Interesting. I ride the same bike in the same size but a 2018 and am also 6'3". I have a 37" inseam, so my saddle is high and I'm way over the back at full leg extension. Your experience sounds familiar to mine.

I believe I could be a little more stretched out and have more weight on the front wheel than as I'm set up now, which is stock.

Do you know what length the stock stem is? (Sorry, my bike is packed away in the garage for winter.)

And, to confirm: When you switched to the 50mm stem you noticed steering slow?

I contacted kona and the stock stem I'm running again is 40mm so only 5mm more than my previous 35mm after market stem. I just got back from my second ride with 40mm stem/800mm bar set up and am starting to get used to it. The One Up bars are so freaking nice.

I do feel like I need to bring my seat forward though. I have a 210mm dropper and feel like I'm sitting over the rear axle. I'll play around with the saddle next and see how that goes.

Overall though the cockpit feels pretty damn good. I think I'll enjoy the 40mm stem/ 800mm bars

I wish they had scaled up the chain stay length for us taller riders. Think about a guy who rides a Medium has the same size CS as us on the XL.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 21:31 Quote
itay123 wrote:
Parkershark wrote:

I am a very similar body build and ride the exact same model as you. If you really want to run a shorter stem then maybe try moving your seat forward on the rails a bit to get your weight more over the front. I really love the 800 mm bar so I wouldn’t change that but maybe playing around with the seat will help the climbs a bit

Just got back from the second ride and getting used to it fast. I love the 800mm bars so far so I won't change. I also contacted Kona and turns out the stock stem is 40mm not 50mm.

Next I'm going to bring my seat forward and see how that feels. With my 210mm dropper, I feel so far back when seated.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
Yep, stock offset on the 29er is 42mm, so a 40mm stem

To keep your same leg extension distance and push you towards the front wheel, you could try shorter crank arms(165mm).

This would lower your overall max seat height 5-10mm (175/170 - 165 mm = 5-10 mm decrease in seat post height). This would improve climbing and increase weighting over the front wheel.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 6:16 Quote
Simann wrote:

To keep your same leg extension distance and push you towards the front wheel, you could try shorter crank arms(165mm).

This would lower your overall max seat height 5-10mm (175/170 - 165 mm = 5-10 mm decrease in seat post height). This would improve climbing and increase weighting over the front wheel.

As a taller person, I am not sure I could move to shorter cranks or what the benefit would be. My saddle height is around 820mm to get the appropriate leg extension.

Thus, if I lost 10mm, I'd need to gain that back in the opposite direction. And bikes these days generally aren't meant to support lots of seatpost with their stubby seat tubes.

Still waiting for my 300mm dropper post Smile or better yet, manufacturers to stop chopping off the ends of their seat tubes.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
The G2 process in XL actually has a deep seat post insertion, I think something like 485 mm. I ran a KS Integra 175mm dropper as its max insertion was 480mm. If you are running something like a 200mm dropper, those have over 520'ish mm of insertion depth, so your seat post body is actually sticking out of the seat tube quite a bit I would assume.

This brings the question if you even use that much seat drop? The seat is a tool you can use in corners, and if the seat is below your needs when fully dropped, it may be harder to lean into the seat with your knees to initiate a corner.

Again, decreasing crank arm length, you can offset that by inserting the seat post deeper by the same amount into the seat tube to keep the same leg extension.

Shorter cranks take stress off your joints (hips, knees and ankles) and obviously allow you more ground clearance. Being able to keep your mass lower and forward on the bike helps in all sorts of riding conditions, as you've come to realize.

Pair shorter crank arms (165's) with an oval chainring and you will be putting down around the same torque as if you would on a round chainring with longer crank arms. Not to mention oval rings provide the same benefits as shorter cranks in regard to decreasing joint stress. I could get really nerdy here, but I will spare you guys the details.

I'm 6'2", was in the same boat as you on my 27.5" G2 Process CRDL. When I discovered pairing my stem length with fork offset, 165mm crank arms and an oval chainring, it significantly improved my riding ability. Of course, I was on a 27.5 Process G2, so I went with a shorter offset fork (increases trail and high speed stability, retained low speed maneuverability).

For you being on the 29er version, steering speed can be improved with the exact opposite of the 27.5 recipe; a higher offset fork (44-51mm) and matching that with the same stem length (40 or 50mm, plus or minus a few mm, but get it close).

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
Simann wrote:

Stock offset for 2019 and 2020 on 29ers is 51mm im pretty sure ? My 2020 is 51mm.
Looked it up and 2018 was 42mm

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
Simann wrote:

Stock offset for 2019 and 2020 on 29ers is 51mm im pretty sure ? My 2020 is 51mm.
Looked it up and 2018 was 42mm

Yeah stock offset for 2019/20 G2 29ers is 51

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
Hey guys. I have a 2019 process 153 CR 27.5 and I just picked up a fox 38 for it. Apparently the end caps on my front hub (formula) aren’t compatible with the fox fork and I was wondering how I could remedy this. Do you know what end caps I would need or if there are any adaptors out there?

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
itay123 wrote:
Hey guys. I have a 2019 process 153 CR 27.5 and I just picked up a fox 38 for it. Apparently the end caps on my front hub (formula) aren’t compatible with the fox fork and I was wondering how I could remedy this. Do you know what end caps I would need or if there are any adaptors out there?

I just ran into the exact same problem. Apparently there’s a part to fix this but it’s been out of stock:

https://thelostco.com/products/formula-hub-parts-110x15mm-non-torque-conversion-caps

Others have said that these end caps for Salsa fat bikes work but I haven’t verified this:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/salsa-fat-conversion-hub-end-caps-for-front-150mm?variant=17598560581&gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFNtKfEzRvzt5SFMhcDWeK9cShy1U9D18VPu2Xx7ZEHiv88U76inSthoCWrcQAvD_BwE

The stock end caps pull right off if you wiggle them a bit, so it’s easy enough to try if you don’t mind risking the $25. I have a lathe so I measured the stock end caps and machined a version that would fit the Fox fork.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006557
Mobile Version of Website