Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Has anyone else with a CR model had any cracking on the down tube just above the main pivot? Near where the cables dump out of the frame? My lbs just sent pictures to kona. Hoping it’s jusr a few paint cracks and kona says it’s okay.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
jshad315 wrote:
My new 2020 153cr/dl 27.5 frame is coming in today and should have it today or tomorrow. I will be building it up with a 29'' 150mm fork up front, if that works alright I might even bump it up to 160mm. I will also be attempting to run a 170mm dropper on a medium frame. Ill post pics once its done!

Nice! Looking at the same model! Would love some pictures

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
jshad315 wrote:
My new 2020 153cr/dl 27.5 frame is coming in today and should have it today or tomorrow. I will be building it up with a 29'' 150mm fork up front, if that works alright I might even bump it up to 160mm. I will also be attempting to run a 170mm dropper on a medium frame. Ill post pics once its done!

Nice! Looking at the same model! Would love some pictures

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
patch92 wrote:
Has anyone else with a CR model had any cracking on the down tube just above the main pivot? Near where the cables dump out of the frame? My lbs just sent pictures to kona. Hoping it’s jusr a few paint cracks and kona says it’s okay.

Dont see any on mine. I've noticed more people seeing cracks on any candy coated frame, I'm guessing this gloss paint is quite brittle & any flexing of the carbon can lead to cracks in the paint. Same thing happened to a friend with his Ibis Mojo HD3. Of course Ibis warrantied the frame, the cracks were getting larger after every ride. Gave him a flat black one, most likely less prone to cracks in the paint, probably a revised carbon layup to boot.

I'm sure Kona will get you taken care of this isn't uncommon.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
Almost finished with my build. Built from the ground up by recycling some parts from my Jeffsy, but most of it is new or picked up here from pb. Last thing (yeah right, never done!) is to replace the rear derailleur with an XX1 I have en route.

I've put about 10 miles on the Ohlins and still trying to get the tune right. Wish spring companies would send you 3 springs to try sample before you buy! But anyways, I'm really happy with the way my Kona performs. It's better at climbing than the Jeffsy 27 it replaced (even when I had it on the "high" setting) and goes downhill just as nicely.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
brianwon wrote:
Almost finished with my build. Built from the ground up by recycling some parts from my Jeffsy, but most of it is new or picked up here from pb. Last thing (yeah right, never done!) is to replace the rear derailleur with an XX1 I have en route.

I've put about 10 miles on the Ohlins and still trying to get the tune right. Wish spring companies would send you 3 springs to try sample before you buy! But anyways, I'm really happy with the way my Kona performs. It's better at climbing than the Jeffsy 27 it replaced (even when I had it on the "high" setting) and goes downhill just as nicely.

That is a nice Process! Great job !

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
eshew wrote:
patch92 wrote:

Dont see any on mine. I've noticed more people seeing cracks on any candy coated frame, I'm guessing this gloss paint is quite brittle & any flexing of the carbon can lead to cracks in the paint. Same thing happened to a friend with his Ibis Mojo HD3. Of course Ibis warrantied the frame, the cracks were getting larger after every ride. Gave him a flat black one, most likely less prone to cracks in the paint, probably a revised carbon layup to boot.

^^Thought I had a crack on my AL frame, candy green color. Noticed it after servicing the dropper, but closer inspection determined it to be just scratching from routing/pushing the line under the shock. It's a sharp bend to get into the seat tube

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
Paultech wrote:
eshew wrote:
patch92 wrote:

^^Thought I had a crack on my AL frame, candy green color. Noticed it after servicing the dropper, but closer inspection determined it to be just scratching from routing/pushing the line under the shock. It's a sharp bend to get into the seat tube

Nah mine are legit cracks. Not cable rub. I’m still waiting to hear back from kona, so we’ll see. I’ll get pictures posted later today.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 21:42 Quote

2020 27.5 medium Process 153 cr/dl
29" lyrik 150 with MRP ramp and push seals
Tag Metals carbon bars and stem/ oneup tool
Tag Metals 170mm dropper wolftooth level
Sqlabs 70x grips and 60x seat
Onyx hubs laced to TripXBikes carbon rims
Sram XX1 shifting
E13 TRSR 165mm carbon cranks, wheels mfg ceramic bb
Wolftooth CAMO 34T oval chainring
Michelin wild Enduro f/r
Cushcore f/r
Shimano xt single piston
Hope rotors 203/180
MRP sxg chain guide
Kmc x12 chain
MUUL mount on my bars holds a tire plug and a chain link

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
jshad315 wrote:

2020 27.5 medium Process 153 cr/dl
29" lyrik 150 with MRP ramp and push seals
Tag Metals carbon bars and stem/ oneup tool
Tag Metals 170mm dropper wolftooth level
Sqlabs 70x grips and 60x seat
Onyx hubs laced to TripXBikes carbon rims
Sram XX1 shifting
E13 TRSR 165mm carbon cranks, wheels mfg ceramic bb
Wolftooth CAMO 34T oval chainring
Michelin wild Enduro f/r
Cushcore f/r
Shimano xt single piston
Hope rotors 203/180
MRP sxg chain guide
Kmc x12 chain
MUUL mount on my bars holds a tire plug and a chain

That is a really sick build man. How are you liking the mullet so far? Any idea how your geo works out? I did something similar to a warden and have to run it in slack to keep the bb in the same spot. I figure I have a 64.5 HTA and 74 STA with 345bb.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
65ish hta
75ish sta used a protractor app to measure
And bb drop is around 5mm
Rides amazing really liking it (2nd mullet setup for me) might even put my 160 air spring back in!
Definitely need to get the MegNeg air can for the super deluxe I’m blowing through the travel with ease at 25%sag with max volume reducers
Here is a chain stay protector/silencer I setup tonight as well

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
Welp. Kona wants to replace my frame due to the cracks previously described. Pretty bummed as I’ll probably get the new 2020 diarrhea green frame, and not the teal that I have now Frown

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
Have to tell you.... teal the new green. In person the green is amazing. But I’m not a teal person

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
Having diarrhea can be bad enough.... But green diarrhea?? Oh boy!

May all your future movements be......uh..........not green

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
Weird, I don't see green at all it's more of a brownish purple.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022886
Mobile Version of Website