Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
jshad315 wrote:
Weird, I don't see green at all it's more of a brownish purple.

the bike above is not the bike were talking about. The 2020 CR 29 is "green". more like poop moss old alien skin dirt mud lack of attraction green brown.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
patch92 wrote:
jshad315 wrote:
Weird, I don't see green at all it's more of a brownish purple.

the bike above is not the bike were talking about. The 2020 CR 29 is "green". more like poop moss old alien skin dirt mud lack of attraction green brown.

The website calls it Gloss Earth Grey. It's probably not as green as it looks. I'd say count yourself lucky. My process warranty is the 134 CRDL in olive green and silver - I guess at least it might go with the ugly green knobs on my dvo fork.

Two colours I wish they would stop using o n bikes is ugly greens (like the dvo or one up) and orange. I hate orange bikes. I guess to each their own cause I'd gladly take Gloss Earth Grey

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Only KTMs should be orange!!!

My black process is pretty swery. Was going to attach a picture but to do so seemed a bit more convoluted than I'm willing concern myself with at the moment

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
So, I rode the bike, and it's pretty great but.......

I got into mountain biking via downhill / bike park last year. I never really did any trail riding. Then, earlier this year I acquired a specialized fat boy in a trade. I rode in local trails and it just felt so great out there. I really enjoyed it and have ridden it a bunch more. I bought this kona thinking it would be a do it all bike. I figured I'd like it way more than the fatbime, but I don't. I love how the fatbike feels.

I'm feeling like this Enduro might have been a mistake. Plus I love my DH bike, but it's on ebay right now.

Maybe I should try to get used to the kona? Maybe it's not set up right? Is it common for people to prefer a full rigid fatbike in the trails?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
ktm48 wrote:

I got into mountain biking via downhill / bike park last year. I never really did any trail riding. Then, earlier this year I acquired a specialized fat boy in a trade. I rode in local trails and it just felt so great out there. I really enjoyed it and have ridden it a bunch more. I bought this kona thinking it would be a do it all bike. I figured I'd like it way more than the fatbime, but I don't. I love how the fatbike feels.

I'm feeling like this Enduro might have been a mistake. Plus I love my DH bike, but it's on ebay right now.

Maybe I should try to get used to the kona? Maybe it's not set up right? Is it common for people to prefer a full rigid fatbike in the trails?

Thanks

Can’t really say why you’d prefer the fat bike over your enduro. But I can speak on DH rigs ha enduro/trail rigs.

I’m a downhill guy. Same as you, got into mountain biking through DH. I prefer my downhill bike over any bike out there. After a full summer only riding my DH bike, it takes some getting used to riding the trail bike again. Mainly being the suspension depth / feel, and obviously the geo as a whole. A 150mm trail bike will never feel as smooth as a 200mm dh bike.

It’s also the flip side when it comes time for park season. Spending all of fall, winter, spring on the trail bike makes me fall more in love with my DH rig once I start riding it again. Plus, getting better on a 150mm bike will make you that much better on a 200mm bike.

I say keep riding the kona, you’ll get used to it and probs my start enjoying it. But keep the DH bike for park season!

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
Don't give up on the Kona yet. I just took mine out for it's maiden voyage. Right off the bat I knew the 780 bars were too wide, felt way too slow in the steering department. I cut them down a bit too much assuming they were 800's rather than 780's but it was too late. So now I'm back to 750 which is probably 10mm too narrow but I'll ride it that way, a bit quicker steering might compliment that big ass front wheel & tire nicely.

Shock pressure can take some time to dial in. 2-3 psi can make or break that Goldilocks zone.

That being said the trails around here really do work well on a 150+ travel bike, Cascadia is really enduro country for lack of a better word. Pedal up, haul ass down. Not sure what the trails are like in NH.

But if you don't mesh with the new bike don't sweat it. The important thing is you're riding.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
ktm48 wrote:

Thanks

Went back in the forum, you got the process not 2 weeks ago. You should give it more time and make yourself confortable on it. My firsts rides were not so fun, then I adjusted my dropper to the perfect spot, trimmed the bars also, played a lot with the suspensions pressure and rebound (Yari and Deluxe here) and it's so much fun now to ride.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
Any one tried bumping up there forks to 170mm? I'm thiking about getting a fox 36 up front, 44mm offset (compared to the 51mm lyric I suppose). But I may give 170mm a chance.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Any one tried bumping up there forks to 170mm? I'm thiking about getting a fox 36 up front, 44mm offset (compared to the 51mm lyric I suppose). But I may give 170mm a chance.

Here is video of a guy who put a 170 fork on his process.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:

Should slacken the head and seat angles by 1/2 a degree. Would descend better but not climb as well. Might not corner quite as well as it does at 160.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:

I run a 170mm Lyrik on my P153 CR 29, I like it, bit plusher, took me a little time to get it feeling the way I wanted (mostly because I kept trying to set it up as per the rockshox recommendations, and because I needed to bleed the damper).

It looks like you've got a 27.5" Process. The stock 27.5" Lyrik offset is 46mm (this should be what you have, but check the back of your fork), with 37mm being the reduced option. The change to 44mm offset Fox likely wont feel any different. The Axle to Crown height on the Fox is also 549.1mm (160mm travel) compared to 552mm on the Lyrik, this should also be negligible.

The geometry change from 10mm at the fork isn't as big as you'd think. For example, the 29er with the stock fork offset, the change would be ~0.4° slacker in the head and seat angles. Unless you're already at the limits of seat and bar adjustment, you should be able to correct for this by tilting your saddle/moving it forward and removing a spacer from under your bars to get you back into the same position you had previously.

One thing to consider when adjusting the fork travel alone is that your catastrophic geometry (the geometry of the bike at bottom out) remains the same, so if you find it squirrely on big compressions or g-outs, this won't change that.

If it means anything to you, the Kona EWS team runs 170mm Lyriks on their race bikes.

Lastly, some of the Fox 36 dampers are built for a set max travel which would limit your ability to swap air springs without also making some damper changes. Buying the 170mm 36 gives your the option to go back to 160, whereas buying a 160mm 36 may not. The Lyrik doesn't have this problem though, and the air springs are dirt cheap.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 14:27 Quote
Welp. It appears that Kona will be replacing my entire bike due to the crack. They don’t have any more teal frames, and the bike is basically brand new, so they are giving me a complete new build. Pumped. If they can do this quickly I will be a big supporter of kona and their customer service.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
ebrooker wrote:
drpepperrider2 wrote:

I run a 170mm Lyrik on my P153 CR 29, I like it, bit plusher, took me a little time to get it feeling the way I wanted (mostly because I kept trying to set it up as per the rockshox recommendations, and because I needed to bleed the damper).

It looks like you've got a 27.5" Process. The stock 27.5" Lyrik offset is 46mm (this should be what you have, but check the back of your fork), with 37mm being the reduced option. The change to 44mm offset Fox likely wont feel any different. The Axle to Crown height on the Fox is also 549.1mm (160mm travel) compared to 552mm on the Lyrik, this should also be negligible.

The geometry change from 10mm at the fork isn't as big as you'd think. For example, the 29er with the stock fork offset, the change would be ~0.4° slacker in the head and seat angles. Unless you're already at the limits of seat and bar adjustment, you should be able to correct for this by tilting your saddle/moving it forward and removing a spacer from under your bars to get you back into the same position you had previously.

One thing to consider when adjusting the fork travel alone is that your catastrophic geometry (the geometry of the bike at bottom out) remains the same, so if you find it squirrely on big compressions or g-outs, this won't change that.

If it means anything to you, the Kona EWS team runs 170mm Lyriks on their race bikes.

Lastly, some of the Fox 36 dampers are built for a set max travel which would limit your ability to swap air springs without also making some damper changes. Buying the 170mm 36 gives your the option to go back to 160, whereas buying a 160mm 36 may not. The Lyrik doesn't have this problem though, and the air springs are dirt cheap.
This was a very great answer, thanks so much!

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
Here is a four month update on my 2019 Kona Process 153 CR. After riding this bike 3 times a week for four months (about 50 rides), I have concluded that this is the most underhyped and underrated all mountain enduro bike on the market. I have left everything on the bike stock except the grips and the tires and it is the best overall performing MTB I have ever ridden. It really is the first bike I have ever ridden that I don't have any negatives to talk about.

I have ridden a lot of great enduro bikes and have been involved in cycling for over 30 years as I used to race professionally for a domestic team, and I would have gladly traded my team bikes for this one. This bike was really such a pleasant surprise and I got a killer deal on it from a shop that used to sponsor me.

The bike is a great climber and descender right out of the box, but you can also use it as a enduro race bike and a bike park bike. Nothing but good things to say about it. I went with the carbon frame as it is very responsive when you stand up and stomp the pedals and it is one of the best cornering bikes I have ever ridden. It has such a great feel and you can ride it right on the edge at speed and feel really in control on it.

Can't say enough good things about this bike, think I have found a real keeper.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Here is a four month update on my 2019 Kona Process 153 CR. After riding this bike 3 times a week for four months (about 50 rides), I have concluded that this is the most underhyped and underrated all mountain enduro bike on the market. I have left everything on the bike stock except the grips and the tires and it is the best overall performing MTB I have ever ridden. It really is the first bike I have ever ridden that I don't have any negatives to talk about.

I have ridden a lot of great enduro bikes and have been involved in cycling for over 30 years as I used to race professionally for a domestic team, and I would have gladly traded my team bikes for this one. This bike was really such a pleasant surprise and I got a killer deal on it from a shop that used to sponsor me.

The bike is a great climber and descender right out of the box, but you can also use it as a enduro race bike and a bike park bike. Nothing but good things to say about it. I went with the carbon frame as it is very responsive when you stand up and stomp the pedals and it is one of the best cornering bikes I have ever ridden. It has such a great feel and you can ride it right on the edge at speed and feel really in control on it.

Can't say enough good things about this bike, think I have found a real keeper.

27,5 or 29? What type of tires did you put? I had big expectations on the minions, and been disapointed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006307
Mobile Version of Website