Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
Yes, coil on the process with cascade is good.
Similar to meg meg with a linear setup. Coil might provide more support in the deep end tho.

Or you could set up meg meg more progressive.

Mrp and dvo are great performance.

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 14:25 Quote
Ben-Whiting wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share my 153 build (160 now)

Upgrades:

-One Up carbon bars
-Cascade link
-Marzocchi Z1 bomber fork set at 170mm
-One Up chain guide/Bash Guard
-Race face Turbine 35mm stem
-One Up EDC stem tool

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Cascade link with a coil? I might be able to swap with a friend of mine who wants to try an air shock on his bike and our shock sizes are the same

For what it's worth, I would also suggest you look into a -1 angleset.
I installed one on my 153 as I upgraded the fork travel from 160mm to 170mm. I liked it a lot! I then tested the difference without the angleset and quickly went back to the -1 angleset as I liked it much better.

I felt a noticeable difference where due to the slacker heat tuble angle the steering was slightly less nervous, which obviously makes the bike more stable, but also more noticeably more capable (or at least a lot more confidence inspiring) in the steep and/or rough.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 16:00 Quote
pqbb wrote:
Ben-Whiting wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share my 153 build (160 now)

Upgrades:

-One Up carbon bars
-Cascade link
-Marzocchi Z1 bomber fork set at 170mm
-One Up chain guide/Bash Guard
-Race face Turbine 35mm stem
-One Up EDC stem tool

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Cascade link with a coil? I might be able to swap with a friend of mine who wants to try an air shock on his bike and our shock sizes are the same

For what it's worth, I would also suggest you look into a -1 angleset.
I installed one on my 153 as I upgraded the fork travel from 160mm to 170mm. I liked it a lot! I then tested the difference without the angleset and quickly went back to the -1 angleset as I liked it much better.

I felt a noticeable difference where due to the slacker heat tuble angle the steering was slightly less nervous, which obviously makes the bike more stable, but also more noticeably more capable (or at least a lot more confidence inspiring) in the steep and/or rough.

I'll second this one, although I havent ridden the bike stock, my XL is running a 170 ZEB with a -1.5 angleset (between 63.5 and 64 degree actual head angle measured) with the cascade link and a RS super deluxe, feels great on the trail, I've never ridden anything it doesn't feel composed on going downhill while still maintaining maneuverability, I mostly ride tight steep techy chunky natural stuff. I have been curious about trying a coil with the cascade link as well but haven't taken the plunge yet as the pop I get with the current setup is really fun for messing about on side hits and such.

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 17:46 Quote
I think the reason why a lot of people like it is because it keeps the front end of the bike a bit lower too, that negative one angle set

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
I had a 180 zeb and a 10 mil spacer under my front end, but that put the front end way too high

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
Marinsend wrote:
I think the reason why a lot of people like it is because it keeps the front end of the bike a bit lower too, that negative one angle set

right, it maintains close to the the original stack when overforking. If not the longer fork will slacken the head angle a bit but also raise stack, shorten reach and lengthen wheelbase moving the bars back relative to the overall wheelbase so it moves more weight off the front wheel. With extra front end length being able to stay forward in the aggressive position that a long front calls for is easier when the stack is closer to stock with the 66 head angle and 160 fork.

Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
photo
photo
Here's my 2018 Kona Process 153 AL. I bought this in October of 2017 when they first came out! I just found this thread and I have been seriously considering the Cascade Link and a -1 angleset that you're talking about. It's either add a few more upgrades or start looking for a new bike! I think the upgrades may be the way to go since new bikes are hard to come by right now. Not long after I bought the bike I upgraded to a XT drivetrain and SLX brakes with Icetech rotors, Raceface bars, and One Up pedals. The Tranz X dropper has worked surprisingly well this whole time. I am on my second set of wheels with Michelin Wild Enduro tires.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 18:43 Quote
Hey, I just recently bought a 2019 Kona process 153 from pinkbike buysell and it’s been great, but the shock feels not quite right and i can’t seem to find a shock setup chart for the Kona process and was wonder if y’all have any insight on properly setting up the shock for your Kona process?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 19:28 Quote
vyasaellis wrote:
Hey, I just recently bought a 2019 Kona process 153 from pinkbike buysell and it’s been great, but the shock feels not quite right and i can’t seem to find a shock setup chart for the Kona process and was wonder if y’all have any insight on properly setting up the shock for your Kona process?

What shock? Has it ever been serviced ??

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
The rear shock can be tough. Not sure what "not quite right" means specifically though. Although I've got a guess.

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
Is it a Deluxe or a Super Deluxe or anything else ?
Since it is used, it could also have some mods, like the megneg.
Depending on the year, the rocker link is not the same and could have been upgraded to a cascade.

Correct me here if I'm wrong, but the Deluxe and Super Deluxe can have some tokens inside the air can to adjust the positive air chamber volume. With the MegNeg, you also get more adjustability on the volume of the negative chamber using rubber bands. I'm still not that sure of how each affect the ride as I'm still experimenting with mine.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2022 at 5:05 Quote
vyasaellis wrote:
it’s been great, but the shock feels not quite right

Really difficult to give any sort of guidance on setup without knowing what you mean by not quite right.

You could very easily be trying to tune out the ride character of the frame or a leaking seal.

FWIW, setup on my Super Deluxe was remarkable for its textbook nature, lb for lb air to rider weight, mid compression and rebound.

Adjust from there, think I ended up about 5% up on the air, three clicks from zero o. The compression and 1 below mid for rebound.

It's a long time since I set it up mind.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 15:31 Quote
Bleatbleat wrote:
vyasaellis wrote:
it’s been great, but the shock feels not quite right

Really difficult to give any sort of guidance on setup without knowing what you mean by not quite right.

You could very easily be trying to tune out the ride character of the frame or a leaking seal.

FWIW, setup on my Super Deluxe was remarkable for its textbook nature, lb for lb air to rider weight, mid compression and rebound.

Adjust from there, think I ended up about 5% up on the air, three clicks from zero o. The compression and 1 below mid for rebound.

It's a long time since I set it up mind.

In my experience, the process 153 was way too linear for my riding area/style. Out of the box, I would either have decent small bump compliance but always bottom out harshly OR no small bump compliance and still bottom out too often. I changed the air can to MegNeg and added 3.5 volume spacers (1 gnardog, equivalent to 2.5 normal ones + a normal one, which is the maximum capacity of the shock). At that point, the rear shock felt like what I want.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 16:18 Quote
Same experience as pqbb Sorted with a Cascade Link. Much better now

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
Does anyone have experience with converting a process 29 to a mullet setup? I am considering buying a cascade link, and also their mullet eyelet for a DPX2. I am looking to make the bike a little more playful, and also slacken the head angle just a bit. Any advice?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012433
Mobile Version of Website