Is a pressfit BB really that big of a deal?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is a pressfit BB really that big of a deal?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Lately I've been seeing a lot of comments on how people won't buy a bike unless it has a threaded BB. What is your guy's take on it? Is the extra maintenance that big of a deal?

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Imo the design works fine but requires a fairly expensive bearing press to fit them correctly. So, yes it is annoying to not be able to just unthread your bottom bracket and having to Macgyver a tool together for a job that use to take 30 seconds. I never experienced the creaking others claim but I can see how it could be an issue.

That being said, I will be buying a new frame this winter and it’s going to have a threaded BB.

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 5:58 Quote
Had such bottom brackets on the previous bikes I had, and other than the extra hassle to remove one/install one (never used a press, always used 2 blocks of wood and a hammer lol ), never had a creak or play. On bottom brackets with plastic shells (Shimano cups), I always put a touch of blue loctite on them, and on metallic ones, just a touch of grease.

Would I disregard a frame because it has a pressfit BB? nah.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
As long as you don't use 30mm axle cranks it's fine. 30mm pf bearing are to thin to be any good they wear out super fast and don't have good seal.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
As long as you don't use 30mm axle cranks it's fine. 30mm pf bearing are to thin to be any good they wear out super fast and don't have good seal.

I have heard this quite a bit, even from my lbs when I changed cranks and moved to 30mm. That being said I ride 4x a week and BB is still super smooth after about 6 months, which is about the typical lifespan of a BB here. Might have a little to do with riding conditions and environment or maybe I take better care of a $450 crank vs. $99. But yea, the bearings are visually smaller.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
My original press fit BB on 29" ghost lector 6.9 hardtail started creaking after 1 month.

I ride 3 to 4x per week in all conditions above 5°C on some very technical trails, with the bike carrying 200lbs.

Had to change to an Abec-3 which lasted maybe 11 months. The bearing races were rusted all to hell.

That was changed to a new even stronger angled bearing, can't remember the name right now. But press fit on these bigger frames with larger & stronger riders are being beat to death.

Worth the $ but need to be serviced. My 15+ year old 26" titanium frame only had 1 BB changed, ever.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
Its an extra hassle that shouldn't be when you compare to a threaded bottom bracket.
I have never had issues with threaded BB outwith worn bearings, simple to work on etc,
so I wouldn't move to the press fit type as they are now and risk the extra hassle,
and would only go for a threaded type when purchasing a frame or bike.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Lately I've been seeing a lot of comments on how people won't buy a bike unless it has a threaded BB. What is your guy's take on it? Is the extra maintenance that big of a deal?

Meh, you narrow your choice very much if this is deciding factor. Manufacturer usually put same type of BB to all models, so i.e. Giant uses PF BB. So you rule them all out because of non-threaded BB?

Maintenance - it depends how much you change BB, if you do it 4-5 times a year maybe this is important. Otherwise if changing yearly (usually every 2-3 years for average Joe) buy new PFS BB, go to local shop, wait 10 minutes and done. Here changing BB is 9 EUR job, don't understand all the drama with 9 EUR job on 3000$+ bike every year or more:-)

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Time is money. Driving to the shop, waiting, or in most cases, leaving the bike for something I should be able to do myself, is not something I am willing to waver on. I won't buy a bike with a pressfit BB because I like to do the work myself. Now that most headset are integrated, I don't need the shop except for the most extreme instances. I also like to tear my bikes down and clean them seasonly. Pressfit complicates that.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
Geo location plays a big part in this issue. Around here the trails are heavily fine fine sand and ruthless on bottom brackets and bearings. Most shops here won’t even recommend high end bottom brackets as they won’t last longer than half a season of heavy riding.
If you ride cushy loam all season, probably never an issue.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
IMO, any hassle is to much of an hassle when manufacturers have a perfectly good alternative, which is the threaded BB.

As a consumer, I try to avoid this kind of stuff. Skipped a crazy deal on a Ransom 920 because of the BB, but that's just me

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Imo the design works fine but requires a fairly expensive bearing press to fit them correctly. So, yes it is annoying to not be able to just unthread your bottom bracket and having to Macgyver a tool together for a job that use to take 30 seconds. I never experienced the creaking others claim but I can see how it could be an issue.

That being said, I will be buying a new frame this winter and it’s going to have a threaded BB.

This and op try wheels manufacturing pressfit bbs bloody brilliant pieces of kit

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009311
Mobile Version of Website