Discal protrusion

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 4:39 Quote
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with a discal protrusion at L5-S1. The physician told me to evitate bumps and compression on the back. I felt a bit bad because I really like downhill and enduro. Do you have any suggestion? Anyone who got the same problem? Would using a dh bike instead of an enduro bike make any difference since it is more "plushy" because of more suspension?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
Hey!
I don't know if it would make a difference with a downhill bike , but you should try to keep your back straight while riding , making sure you are not bending while riding. That way the maximum surface of disc will be used in reducing the force that is compressing your spinal cord so there will be less force on square unit of tissue and the disk will have smaller chances to prolapse .
Also you shoud take into account that some big percent (maybe 40%) of the people at 30 years are having a discal lesion like protrusion or hernia without any symptom , so even if you have protrusion on your mri ,your low back pain might have other origins like muscle spasm .
Also you should try to do more core exercises strenghtening the muscles and like that reducing the strain on your spinal column .

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007114
Mobile Version of Website