Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Helmet Visors Safety

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Helmet Visors Safety
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
After watching a couple of FMX videos which the visors slammed straight in the rider helmet, now I see why many do not wear visors on the Mega Ramp / BMX Vert due to safety.

Me too, I don't use visors, and googles are so uncomfortable, I see visors as a dangerous pointless stylish piece of plastic. What is your take on it regardless of your taste but more focused safety oriented?

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Unsure if your aiming this solely towards the Mega Ramp / BMX Vert discipline,
or in general towards all types of riding.

Visors and goggles have there uses with regards to safety,
its the user that decides on there merits depending on the
riding discipline they undertake, and the environment in which
they ride.

Riding some trails on a sunny day the visor is a benefit to me
in helping me see those rocks on a descent, aiding my line choice.

Wearing goggles through bug infested areas and swiping branches
seem a good choice for me also, not to mention the close calls
of upward ground pointing sticks that I have landed next too,
gritty wet mud is no fun either in the eyes.

Then of course if your riding ramps on an indoor/outdoor bmx, bike park or similar
the visor goggles aren't necessarily needed.

I've even seen street riders not bother with a helmet whilst rail sliding a set of steps,
some into car windscreens whilst riding across a road,
do they see helmets pointless uncomfortable and dangerous ?

Theres pros and cons to all views but as stated above riding discipline, environment
are the main deciding factors. I would also imagine the eye injury stats for not wearing
goggles are higher than for those wearing goggles, though I can't confirm this.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
Kukaracha wrote:
After watching a couple of FMX videos which the visors slammed straight in the rider helmet, now I see why many do not wear visors on the Mega Ramp / BMX Vert due to safety.

Me too, I don't use visors, and googles are so uncomfortable, I see visors as a dangerous pointless stylish piece of plastic. What is your take on it regardless of your taste but more focused safety oriented?

How useful visors actually are is debatable.. Most say it is for keeping the sun out of the eyes, expecially when you move in and out of the shadows so you cant use dark goggles/sunglasses. Some helmets now come with visors that are designed to break away in case of a crash,

A plus for goggles compared to sunglasses is that they keep dust and bugs out of your eyes. How comfortable they are differs a lot from brand to brand.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48642476307_9d90d5e94c.jpg

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012587
Mobile Version of Website