PB Forum :: 29ers
Thoughts on kona vs specialized
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
Looking for thoughts:
Newish rider and about to buy between!

2019 Kona Satori vs 2020 Specialized Stumpjumper ST
Both are 29 wheels, dropper seat, full suspension and around 130mm.

appreciate it!!

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
valeriealison25 wrote:
Looking for thoughts:

appreciate it!!

At 130/130 or 130/140, i'd test a Trek Fuel EX as well. I have a Fuel EX and my buddy has a brand new Stumpjumper and his feels slow and tanklike while mine feels light and nimble and just rips. He's kinda bummed, but i'm hoping we can get his fork/shock dialed in better.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:57 Quote
The kona is an amazing climber!

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 2:00 Quote
The Satori has about the steepest seat-tube angle on the market. Feels weird at first, but it's the most ergonomic climbing bike I've ever ridden. Creates a slightly cramped top-tube on flat terrain - can't have it all! Although the reach numbers look long on the spec sheet, if you're unsure of your size, go for the larger one to get more top-tube room. Suspension is firmer - feels like less than 130 mm - and the anti-squat is high for very firm pedaling. Overall, it has a feeling of "speed" like a cross-country race bike, but much more competent on descents. Some extra reach and Kona will have a winner.

The Stumpjumper has more traditional geometry and kinematics. Suspension is more "plush" and feels like more than 120 mm. Pedaling response isn't as crisp.

The Stumpjumper is a solid example of the short-travel trail bike category. The Satori is something unique. The less advanced frame construction and mediocre parts spec may seem underwhelming, but the exceptional climbing performance makes the Satori the winner, for me. If your trails are predominantly flat or composed of short, rolling hills, you should demo the Satori before purchasing to ensure the climbing performance is as valuable to you as it is to me. If your terrain isn't especially demanding of a bike's climbing performance, the advantages of the Kona that I perceive may not be of value for you.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
valeriealison25 wrote:
Looking for thoughts:

appreciate it!!

You might take a look at the Kona Process 134 29r vs the Satori.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009454
Mobile Version of Website