Can’t change into my lowest gear 1 x 11

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can’t change into my lowest gear 1 x 11
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
Hi, i have a Canyon spectral and was riding 2 x 10 and decided to upgrade to a Shimano XT 1x11sp Gear Kit Bundle a new chainring but using the existing cranks i installed it with friend , the problem is that it won’t shift up to the biggest cog on the cassette( the lowest gear)
I also took it to a bike mechanic, but he couldn’t help either my mechanical skills are very limited, any advice??

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
Joshwa79 wrote:
Hi, i have a Canyon spectral and was riding 2 x 10 and decided to upgrade to a Shimano XT 1x11sp Gear Kit Bundle a new chainring but using the existing cranks i installed it with friend , the problem is that it won’t shift up to the biggest cog on the cassette( the lowest gear)
I also took it to a bike mechanic, but he couldn’t help either my mechanical skills are very limited, any advice??

If setting right B-screw and High-Low screws is not helping maybe you don't have deraileur capable for 1x11.
1. How many teeth is your new biggest cog on cassete?
2. Which model of Spectral you have and what year?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
One of the guys i ride with had the same issue and it wouldn't go in the the largest cog. He had taken off his drive train to do a good cleaning and never realized he put the chain on in reverse. Took it off and corrected it and it worked fine.

Also did you change your chain ring to a narrow wide? I am assuming you did if it was part of the kit but that could be an issue as well.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 0:39 Quote
Ok, i’ll check the chain, hope it’s that simple? And yes i got the narrow wide chain ring, thanks

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 0:49 Quote
My biggest cog is 46 t, and the derailer came with the package I ordered My spectral al 6.0 is 2016
I checked the packaging for the derailer when mounting it, which was 11 spd
Is there another way to check the derailer that it is 11sp
Thanks

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
Doogie711 wrote:
One of the guys i ride with had the same issue and it wouldn't go in the the largest cog. He had taken off his drive train to do a good cleaning and never realized he put the chain on in reverse. Took it off and corrected it and it worked fine.

Also did you change your chain ring to a narrow wide? I am assuming you did if it was part of the kit but that could be an issue as well.
So i checked my chain, it was of course on the wrong way but this didn’t fix anything unfortunately. Changed my gear cable also and while I was indexing them noticed that when i push it manually into the lowest gear the largest cog is actually touching and rubbing against the derailer pulley wheels making it impossible to change to that gear, even after adjusting the b-limit it doesn’t move far enough away, maybe a 2016 canyon just isn’t compatible with 2019 gear system? so possibly a slightly longer derailer arm (if there is such a thing) or another option is a new bike, and with my Wife being so sick of hearing about my bike problems even she is positive for a new one : )

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
Joshwa79 wrote:
Doogie711 wrote:

So i checked my chain, it was of course on the wrong way but this didn’t fix anything unfortunately. Changed my gear cable also and while I was indexing them noticed that when i push it manually into the lowest gear the largest cog is actually touching and rubbing against the derailer pulley wheels making it impossible to change to that gear, even after adjusting the b-limit it doesn’t move far enough away, maybe a 2016 canyon just isn’t compatible with 2019 gear system? so possibly a slightly longer derailer arm (if there is such a thing) or another option is a new bike, and with my Wife being so sick of hearing about my bike problems even she is positive for a new one : )

If you had 2x10 system, then probably your deraileur doesn't have enougn long cage to go 11-speed 46-tooth. I don't understand , you wanted to go 1x11 - so you bought new 11 speed chain, 11 speed deraileur and 11 speed shifter? Bike is compatible with 11 speed, its just those 3 components that are important. NW chainring in the front is not a problem with missing rear shifting.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
Joshwa79 wrote:
take it to a better bike mechanic. Either you have the wrong derailer or the canyon derailer hanger is exceptionally short or something is wrong with your install, a decent mechanic should be able to tell you after looking at it for a minute

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
I can't remember exactly how it is on the XT 11spd, but make sure the b-screw is not directly in contact with the hanger, it should be resting on a piece of the derailleur (the one that you screw in the hanger). I've seen (and probably done once or twice without looking) quite a few times the b-screw being in direct contact with the hanger. If it's that way, it cannot extend far enough to clear the 42/46 cog.

Also check the chain length, make sure it's long enough. I've seen far too many setups with the chain shortened too much.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 23:51 Quote
Thanks everyone for your input, i’ll do my best to take it to a different mechanic on the weekend, i hope

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 21:23 Quote
Make sure it actually is a XT RD M8000 rear derailleur you have. I think I have those on three or four bikes in my garage. You may need an extender goat link to move your pulley out far enough. I needed it for a 50t but not a 46t.
Hope this helps

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
timparker wrote:
Make sure it actually is a XT RD M8000 rear derailleur you have. I think I have those on three or four bikes in my garage. You may need an extender goat link to move your pulley out far enough. I needed it for a 50t but not a 46t.
Hope this helps
Thanks timparker, i had been searching for a total new derailler hanger with no luck, didn’t even think there was such a thing as a extender, i had actually tried my old 10-42spd cassette today which works, but hopefully this goatlink will allow me to use my 11-46, super happy, thanks : )

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
Nope, goatlink doesn’t work, took it to a shimano mechanic, he said ”i can fix that easy” now only 9 av 11 gears work, he made it worse????
Emailed canyon he said to take away the little extra arm on the deraillieur because it is a direct mount derailleur, tried that and now i can even pedal the bike. I give up!

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Problem solved, so when i bought my new 1 x 11 set the deraillieur came with an extra extension bit that was pre-mounted and i assumed it was suppose to be like that, turns out after e-mailing Canyon directly (should have done this 4months ago) that it is a direct mount derailleur, so i removed the little extra hanger arm and after a little tuning i now have an 11spd bike
Three mechanics, a new chain, a goatlink and alot of swearing, now i’m done, because you never have more problems with your bike.
Thanks everyone

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
Someone probably would of picked up the problem if you posted some photos in the first post.

When I see a post where someone has a shifting problem with a Shimano 'shadow' derailleur, I always ask to see a photo of the setup, over the years I've seen plenty of incorrect setups that are easily fixed.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007268
Mobile Version of Website