Old school trance gearing

PB Forum :: Giant
Old school trance gearing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:08 Quote
A little guidance please Smile

I have an old 2015 giant trance 4 and the sprockets and chain are basically knackered. It has a 38/24t on the front and a 9 speed 12/36 on the rear.
I got into cycling from BMX so gears confuse me a bit Confused

I was thinking of simplifying it a bit by just having the one front chain ring and just the rear gears. But I have no real clue of what to actually buy. I tend to not use the larger front ring anyway. but I do find my self wheel spinning when climbing on the trails.

should I retain the 12/36 rear gearing and get a front sprocket with a few more teeth (like a 30t) or should I swap to a rear cassette with different ratios.
I mainly ride hilly trails both up and down nothing high speed.

if I did go for 30t / 12-36 cassette then what chain would I use? a 9 speed?

its an old bike so im not looking to spend a fortune on it but seeing as I have to get some new parts for it I figured I may as well see if I can improve it.

cheers,

Gaz.

I can ride and am good on the spanners but don't know the technical side of mountain bikes (sorry)

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
You can get an 11spd Shimano SLX groupset (shifter, mech, cranks, cassette) for really good deals at the moment.
Well worth considering it as an upgrade.

At the very least make sure you get a cassette that has an 11t high gear (not a 12 like you have currently).

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
timbud wrote:
You can get an 11spd Shimano SLX groupset (shifter, mech, cranks, cassette) for really good deals at the moment.
Well worth considering it as an upgrade.

At the very least make sure you get a cassette that has an 11t high gear (not a 12 like you have currently).

thanks for the reply.
I decided to stick with the front derailer and just learn how to use the gears properly. plus im on abit of a budget at the minute as ive just bought a new house. I did buy a new shimano rear cassette and a new KMC chain for £16 off ebay which has made an improvement but has shown up how knackered the front sprockets are so im now in the market for a pair of those.

I stripped and cleaned my derailleurs and they seem much better now.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
now im lost in a world of chainrings.

can I just buy any set that is listed as 38t/24t 104/64 BCD or is there some kind of science behind it all? my stock cranks are FSA.

a lot of chain rings are listed separate, are they pretty compatible or should I stick to a matching pair.

this is the bike spec
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/trance-27dot5-4-2015
although Ive got better tyres/ brakes.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
As long as you match the bcd you’ll be fine... just don’t get a narrow wide one Wink

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 1:24 Quote
I can confirm that trying to use a 1x9 setup was a stupid idea so im now looking to convert to a 1x11.

am I correct in thinking that I need to stick to Shimano so that it fits my rear wheel hub? and is 11-46 the best gearing to get?

I was going to just try and buy the rear parts as my cranks and BB are still ok.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011973
Mobile Version of Website