Goofy OEM drivetrain, what would you do?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Goofy OEM drivetrain, what would you do?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
I have a stock YT Jeffsy Pro Race, it comes with the following setup;

Wheelset: E*thirteen TRS Race with XD driver - I like these wheels but XD driver cassettes are limited
Crankset: E*thirteen - I like these cranks but they use a proprietary chain ring mount
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR - Derailleur is OK except that I've gone through two shifter cables in 6 months.
Cassette: E*thirteen TRS Plus - I think this cassette is garbage. Constantly skipping teeth on 9 & 10t cogs. About to complete a warranty claim with E*thirteen

I've had it with the E*thirteen cassette and want to replace it. I have issues with the Shimano rear mech. but can live with it.

What would you do?

1) Replace just the cassette with either a Sunrace or Garbaruk cassette. This is the lowest cost solution.
2) Replace the entire drive train including the BB with some Eagle flavor (GX most likely). Most expensive and loose the carbon cranks.
3) Replace hubs for something with a Shimano driver and go with a Shimano cassette? More expensive than option 1 and get to keep the carbon cranks.
4) Something else entirely?

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
I have a 18 Jeffsy and wanted the new 19 pro race but that build is all over the place and ultimately kept me from pulling the trigger. I am on my 3rd ethirteen cassette and it’s honestly been good for the whole season so far, so just keep claiming warranty if you have to, you are kinda stuck because of the wheels. Not worth the cost to replace the whole drivetrain IMO. Ride it a season or two.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:34 Quote
You could use a SRAM 11-speed cassette with XD mount, such as the XG-1175. The first sprocket is 42T, so you could get a 28T ring from e*thirteen to maintain a low ratio.

What's been the problem with the cassette?

Branmuffin, what have you had to warranty and what has been e*thirteen's response?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
You could use a SRAM 11-speed cassette with XD mount, such as the XG-1175. The first sprocket is 42T, so you could get a 28T ring from e*thirteen to maintain a low ratio.

Branmuffin, what have you had to warranty and what has been e*thirteen's response?

Ethirteens customer service is great, which is why I said just keep sending back for warranty service if the cassette has issues.
First cassette developed a bunch of play between the steel and aluminum connecting interface. cassette had or developed a very sloppy interface. 2nd cassette snapped at the pinchbolt. 3rd one has been good and shifts fine, I’ve run around 1000 miles through it this season.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:20 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Ethirteens customer service is great, which is why I said just keep sending back for warranty service if the cassette has issues.
First cassette developed a bunch of play between the steel and aluminum connecting interface. cassette had or developed a very sloppy interface. 2nd cassette snapped at the pinchbolt. 3rd one has been good and shifts fine, I’ve run around 1000 miles through it this season.

Thanks for the info. My test riders and I have experienced only rapid wear of the aluminum portion, like everyone seems to experience with e*thirteen. The issues you've described are much more warranty-worthy than rapid wear.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

The issue I run into most is the chain skipping teeth on the 9t and 10t cogs. For a bike at this trim level, it should just work and there really shouldn't be any quirks in the stock components.

Yea, I'm considering the SRAM XG but would really like a cassette closer to 10-46 or 11-46.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Thanks for the info. My test riders and I have experienced only rapid wear of the aluminum portion, like everyone seems to experience with e*thirteen. The issues you've described are much more warranty-worthy than rapid wear.
Agreed that they have great customer service. They've been responsive and are working with me through the problem.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008230
Mobile Version of Website