Giant hub greased.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Giant hub greased.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
On my 2019 Giant Trance 2, the shop found water had entered the hub and got a bit rusty,
2 bearing were replaced and i assume greased the hum, my question is, the hub used to make a whirring noise when coasting, now it is very silent. I suspect there was no grease in the hub in the first instance,
that may be why the water/rust got in.
Now greased the hub is running silent, any ideas guys?

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
ballspoint wrote:
On my 2019 Giant Trance 2, the shop found water had entered the hub and got a bit rusty,
2 bearing were replaced and i assume greased the hum, my question is, the hub used to make a whirring noise when coasting, now it is very silent. I suspect there was no grease in the hub in the first instance,
that may be why the water/rust got in.
Now greased the hub is running silent, any ideas guys?

Correct, it is quite because there is a decent amount of grease on the ratchet, pawls. I don’t know how the giant hubs are configured but it will become louder over time, from washing or just riding.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
Yeah its all greased up- no noise for a while, you could use a spray like wd-40 which will kill alot of the grease- then use a fine oil like singer oil, to keep it oiled, but still have a little noise. Wont ruin the hub as long as its kept slightly lubricated

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008235
Mobile Version of Website