Trail Boss tool alternative

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Trail Boss tool alternative
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:10 Quote
Hi.

Does anyone know an alternative tool similar to the Trail Boss?
One that can be broken down intro segments and fitted in a backpack.

It looks like a really useful tool but 235$ for the tool plus 105$ shipping is just too much. So I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
Hi,
Looking for the same thing, looks like it doesn't exist.
Anyone tried the trail Boss anyway? Does the mounting device become loose quickly or it last at least a few month / years?

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
Since I couldn't find anything ended up building one myself.

Two 45 cm pipes. A big screw welded on one end a nut in the other.
A hoe and a rake both with a nut welded.

It worked surprisingly well. I can post a photo if you like.

FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
RafaGamas wrote:

It worked surprisingly well. I can post a photo if you like.

Do please

FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
I've thought of the possibility of making up a rake/mcleod type tool where the handle could be detached for transportation on the bike and reassembled by using cotter pins

https://m.made-in-china.com/product/Stainless-Steel-R-Shape-Clip-Spring-Cotter-Tractor-Pins-774261035.html

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
Ghetto Trail Boss
Ghetto Trail Boss

Ghetto Trail Boss
Ghetto Trail Boss

Ghetto Trail Boss
Ghetto Trail Boss

FL
Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
Solid looking handle

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
pretty inspiring handle system. It made me order some more material and take up my modular handle projekt.

i am planning to use fiberglass handles though bonded into steel tubes. What size is your bolt? i went with M20.

do you have any trouble with the connection working loose or over tightening during work?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
For the heads i have these prepped:
selfmade mcleod head only before welding

But the modular handle is something new for me.

photo

any input on the design?

i would love to make something like that but i dont think it would work with skrewed handles as the loads are MUCH higher. the welds have started to crack on this one while all the others have survived alot of abuse without showing signs of failure.

photo

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
I also used M20 bolts. Had no troubles with the connections getting loose, but on a couple occasions the head did ended up overtight, just hammer it against a rock and it came loose right away.

I went with a full steel design to make it foolproof and reliable, it's certainly not the lightest design, but not super heavy either.

So far the welds are enduring well.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Whats the weigth / length of you handel?

i prefer a thick grip and worry that a steeltube would be to heavy and to stiff, leading to vibrations when striking hard ground. also i usualy build in the winter and like my hands warm Razz

for proof of concept stell sems perfect.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
Each segment has 40 cm so 80 cm in total (I might build a third one to make 120 cm, although it will increase the total weight and volume to carry). The outside diameter of the pipe is 27 mm and the inside 22 mm. The weight of the two segments is 1,4 kg.

The small diameter and vibrations also was a concern for me. The original plan, if the tool worked fine, was to buy some tennis racket tape or road bike handlebar tape and wrap the handler. But since neither the diameter or the vibrations have been bother me so far I've kept it in bare steel. But will do this eventually because will improve the comfort, I just need to lose the laziness and go buy the tape. The tape probably will shield a little bit against the cold steel during winter.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
Good idea with the tape but go with griptape as the roadbike tape gets ripped up in days under rough conditions. i tryed it and its not worth the investment.

i was planning for 2 60 cm parts as i need the 120 handle and the couplings are the heavy part in my construction. if everything works out i will end up with 1.3 kg for a 2 60 cm handle segments.

i was planning on using this handle and just cutting it in half then adding the joints
photo

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Thanks for the tip on the tape.

The handle idea looks promising. Good luck on the project and give some feedback once you've tried it.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Jean-Sylvain wrote:
Hi,
Looking for the same thing, looks like it doesn't exist.
Anyone tried the trail Boss anyway? Does the mounting device become loose quickly or it last at least a few month / years?
I have a trail boss kit, it's really good. I wouldn't use it every day if I was doing contract building but for maintenance it's perfect.

You need to tighten the collars as you're working they do work loose.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015139
Mobile Version of Website