Canadians - where do you buy your parts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Canadians - where do you buy your parts?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Hi fellow Canadians.

I'm just wondering where everyone buys their parts from. Shop? Online? Buy/sell?

I have found it quite difficult to track down certain things over the years. Compared to the US, our buying experience is quite different. Many brands have dealer restrictions in Canada, which don't allow shipping their products from online retailers. Especially those stateside. For example, I found that I cannot order any sort of Fox suspension parts at all. I tried to pick up some volume spacers and a topcap socket to open my fork...but I can't. Jenson nor any seller on Amazon will ship Fox parts to Canada. Same with other online bike retailers. Local bike shops don't have it in stock. Sometimes I can order things from them, but often for double the price and $30 shipping.

I've been caught waiting weeks for simple parts via a bike shop that I could get next-day if I lived in the US. Seems like there is a lot of middle-man nonsense out there with distributors requiring minimum orders and high cost shipping.

Are we getting hosed? Or is there a better way to buy for us northerners?

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:

Are we getting hosed?

Most certainly. If I want parts I will first check the price on Jenson, I will then go to my LBS and ask if they can come close to it. If the LBS can come within 10% I will buy it from the LBS. If the LBS cannot come even close to Jenson’s price I’ll just buy it online.

As for products with country restrictions unfortunately I am pretty much forced to go through the LBS and deal with what will likely be slow, expensive service to get parts.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
SpecializedFTW wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

Are we getting hosed?

Most certainly. If I want parts I will first check the price on Jenson, I will then go to my LBS and ask if they can come close to it. If the LBS can come within 10% I will buy it from the LBS. If the LBS cannot come even close to Jenson’s price I’ll just buy it online.

As for products with country restrictions unfortunately I am pretty much forced to go through the LBS and deal with what will likely be slow, expensive service to get parts.

I also find the buy/sell here on pinkbike often has a better selection of brand new take-off parts than most shops have on the sales floor. As you said, if they don't have it, it'll likely take weeks to come in and will be way more expensive than any price I see online. I couldn't even buy a bike trainer from Jenson with all their dealer restrictions preventing Canadian sales.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
We get hosed on everything else in Canada, why should it be any different with bike parts.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
I ordered a Nukeproof stem from chainreactioncycles on Wednesday night, and the part is arriving shipping and duties paid ($12) this afternoon, from the UK!

It's my only MTB purchase so far but I'm super impressed with their service and speed for whatever it's worth.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
Yeah, CRC is pretty decent but they have many restrictions to what they can ship to Canada too. For example, you can't get any Shimano products at all from them anymore. I also find the shipping fairly slow, it can take a few weeks. Their returns process, though, is a nightmare. They make it easy to return things (but costs $20 minimum shipping via Canada Post) but actually getting your money back is pretty difficult. I've returned two things this season. Each time, they acknowledge that my item was received by them...but no money was ever refunded. I had to call, email, and do their online chat system 4-5 times before I got my money back. Both times they claimed that they would have to contact the warehouse department to find the item before they could refund me anything. It took months to sort out and I got the feeling they were just bullshitting me and were hoping I'd give up and they'd keep my money.

For what it's worth, I like to order from TBSbikeparts. Their stock is fairly limited, but anytime I've ordered anything from them I have received it within 24 hours. They're in Kelowna, BC, so if you're anywhere on the west coast the shipping will be pretty quick. But still can't get any of the small parts of certain brands that I listed in a previous post. And I've had them refuse to warranty a set of brakes that were clearly covered by Shimano warranty. They essentially said don't bother sending them back here because we don't think it'll be warrantied, so you're out of luck. Any other retailer would take care of you in that situation, but they didn't.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
TBSBikeparts - for Maxxis tires when they go on sale. Also picked up XT 8020 brakes for a good deal a couple months ago. Limited selection but worth checking.

JensonUSA/Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry/Worldwide Cyclery etc - US retailers, Jenson being the best selection/price wise. As you've pointed out, limits on what brands can ship. Nice that Jenson will do a tax/duties in price though. If you live near the border you can do a mailbox shipment for restricted brands or use mail forwarding.

CRC/Merlin - UK, as you've pointed out no more Shimano grey market stuff. Decently fast shipping and when the GBP to CAD/USD is bad you can get good deals. Good close out deals on apparel especially.

Bike24.de, Bike-discount.de, Bike-components.de - The German sites. Used to be the holy grail of cheap Shimano stuff but that has been shut down. Still cheaper to order Maxxis/Schwalbe tires and have them shipped half way around the world with 20EUR shipping than buying them in Vancouver though. I believe you can get Fox suspension from them.

Amazon.ca/com - .CA sucks for bike parts, not many great deals on .COM.

eBay - I've had great luck this year finding random stuff on eBay including Fox volume spacers, e13 components and some other stuff. Can sometimes find good deals on new forks/shocks and get around stupid region restrictions.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008420
Mobile Version of Website