Hanging up the BMX and getting a mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hanging up the BMX and getting a mountain bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 0:52 Quote
Hello guys I'm looking to hang up my BMX as I'm at the stage where I wanna try something new I'm looking at DH/trails bikes but IV got no idea what the difference is what's better pro cons etc can I have a little advice please

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 3:54 Quote
The bigger the wheels, the less playful the bike will feel. I moved from 20 to 24" and still have my old 26" Planet X Jack Flash. If you're getting a new bike, chances are it won't be a 26", but if it were me, I'd go to a 27.5" rather than 29". I have an On One Pickenflick which is a cyclocross bike, but I've got both 700C (29") wheels on it and 27.5" MTB wheels, and the 27.5" are far more nimble.

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
Kinda depends on what you want to do, 160mm enduro type bike is good for everything, dh bikes are great for down hill only, and trail bikes 125-150mm are great for more pedaling, less speed in the rough.

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
I'm looking for an all rounder really blasting trails hitting jumps drops bit of tech really

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
I'm looking for an all rounder really blasting trails hitting jumps drops bit of tech really

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
160-180mm of travel sounds like what you want, and 27.5 wheels as they are more playful than 29.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 1:26 Quote
Okaay awesome thanks for the advice

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
Mate of mine hung up his bmx earlier this year. Always dabbled with mtb but cheapo ones. Fully committed to mtb now and bought a transition Patrol which suits his riding style perfectly. Rides same sort of stuff as you’re planning on doing(trails, jumps, downhill gnar, f*cking around in the woods) he’s a big lad and the bikes burly so never going to win any races but he does alright! Think a transition patrol or even a scout would be right up your street depending on budget. Failing that why not have a look at what other bmxers who’ve swapped over are riding to give you an idea.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 18:52 Quote
[Quote="Dav82"]Mate of mine hung up his bmx earlier this year. Always dabbled with mtb but cheapo ones. Fully committed to mtb now and bought a transition Patrol which suits his riding style perfectly. Rides same sort of stuff as you’re planning on doing(trails, jumps, downhill gnar, f*cking around in the woods) he’s a big lad and the bikes burly so never going to win any races but he does alright! Think a transition patrol or even a scout would be right up your street depending on budget. Failing that why not have a look at what other bmxers who’ve swapped over are riding to give you an idea.[/Quote
I was looking for a "new" MTB, not into fixing other people's problems, ran across a Transition Triple new. Saved about $700 from retail which gave me the flexibility to build it up to how I wanted it. I have always rode BMX bikes so going to a 26" wheel and steeper geometry wasn't a steep learning curve. I love it for what I do.]

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008722
Mobile Version of Website