bike suggestions

PB Forum :: Downhill
bike suggestions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
so im sure this question has been asked multiple times but im going to ask anyway. so i was in whistler this past week and it kind of inspired me to get into mountain biking and am now looking to buy a bike. i know how much full suspension bikes cost and im looking to purchase a bike in between 2-4 grand. does anyone have any suggestions on a good bike to look at buying in this range? my friend who bikes told me to look at giant, yt, intense. does anyone have experience with these bikes or any other suggestions. he said he wouldn't spend more then 4 on a bike because he says i should wait to buy a more expensive bike until i know what im looking for/like in a bike. also the primary use would be bike park should i look at a dh bike, enduro, or trail?

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
DH only if you will never need to get it up the hill under your own power. Long-travel enduro / "freeride" / "superenduro" if you will have to do so.

Before purchasing, run the economics of renting. You may be surprised how much you have to ride before ownership is more economical than renting.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
thank for the advice, i was def planning on renting my first few times i go to make sure its something i enjoy before dropping the money. the only thing i have for sure bought is a helmet because i dont trust peoples hygene. super unrelated but the bike park near me offers private lessons, is this something you would suggest doing my first time or do you think its a waste of money
R-M-R wrote:
DH only if you will never need to get it up the hill under your own power. Long-travel enduro / "freeride" / "superenduro" if you will have to do so.

Before purchasing, run the economics of renting. You may be surprised how much you have to ride before ownership is more economical than renting.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
zesolodar wrote:
thank for the advice, i was def planning on renting my first few times i go to make sure its something i enjoy before dropping the money. the only thing i have for sure bought is a helmet because i dont trust peoples hygene. super unrelated but the bike park near me offers private lessons, is this something you would suggest doing my first time or do you think its a waste of money
R-M-R wrote:

Sounds like you're off to a sensible start!

Ride for a little while on your own, watch some video tutorials, and get comfortable on the bike, then take a private or group lesson. No sense having someone teach you things you could pick up on your own in a few rides. As with anything, it's good to have an experienced set of eyes advise you on a few specifics you need to work on.

You may be able to find some friends or friendly local riders willing to teach you, if your budget it tight for lessons. There may be some local clubs or MeetUp groups that host beginner riders and you may be able to find riders willing to show you the ropes if you offer something like transportation and lunch / drinks afterward. Keep in mind, of course, the quality of the instruction may vary if you try this approach!

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
im going to the bike park this weekend so wish me luck lol. and im one of those people that will know if its something i want to pursue very quickly if in the near future i decide to purchase a bike are the bikes my friend suggested solid/good options?
R-M-R wrote:
zesolodar wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Sounds like you're off to a sensible start!

Ride for a little while on your own, watch some video tutorials, and get comfortable on the bike, then take a private or group lesson. No sense having someone teach you things you could pick up on your own in a few rides. As with anything, it's good to have an experienced set of eyes advise you on a few specifics you need to work on.

You may be able to find some friends or friendly local riders willing to teach you, if your budget it tight for lessons. There may be some local clubs or MeetUp groups that host beginner riders and you may be able to find riders willing to show you the ropes if you offer something like transportation and lunch / drinks afterward. Keep in mind, of course, the quality of the instruction may vary if you try this approach!

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 4:59 Quote
zesolodar wrote:
im going to the bike park this weekend so wish me luck lol. and im one of those people that will know if its something i want to pursue very quickly if in the near future i decide to purchase a bike are the bikes my friend suggested solid/good options?

Probably buy a used bike from someone who thought they would get into downhilling, but didn't!

If you buy a new DH bike, the new YT Tues is hard to beat for value.

For enduro bikes, there are a huge number of choices. Again, a lightly used model will usually be the best value.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
if you live near bike shops, you can ask them about buying their used demo bikes. i just got a yeti sb 130 for half the price and its in perfect condition.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008391
Mobile Version of Website