Bringing the bars up with no tube left...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bringing the bars up with no tube left...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
I'm having an issue just after getting my new XXL Jeffsy... As a tall dude I needed to bring up my bars since my seat is sky high but they cut the steerer tube with little to zero adjustment. So now I'm faced with a tube extender, rebuilding the fork, or even higher riser bars and/or a stem with a rise. Not too pleased with my current position and their response. I contacted them and they just said that is how the bike came to them all packed to ship so there was nothing they could do. I really like the bike but not sure I need all that weight over the front tire. Especially with XXL, I would think they would leave some room for bringing the bars up. Open to thoughts or suggestions.

My bars have 35mm rise already...

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 15:11 Quote
You could move the small spacer above your stem, to under the stem.That would give you a full 1/4 in rise.Not much,I agree.
Personally, I would never use a stearing tube extender on a bike that was used in the mountains.
This reduces your choice, riser bar or new fork upper.
Maybe try the 50mm riser bar, and see how it feels.That would be the least costly option.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
3" rise answer 810 bars are about 30$. It's be a very cheap way to see if you're getting high enough. You might try a low stack height stem like the dmr one as well.
You could buy one of those weird foldable stems, like on comfort bikes, for about 20$. I wouldn't ride it anywhere but down the driveway, but if you can find a decent riding position you could then figure out how to spend your money wisely to get there.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 18:36 Quote
The Specialized Trail stem has a little more upsweep than you have now. That could help.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
80mm Deity Highside bars work for me...

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 22:54 Quote
DMR does a zero stack stem that may help.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 5:13 Quote
Oh wow yes that seat over bar height looks painful. Same problem I've been having only I think yours is more extreme. I run an XXL Trek Fuel, and thankfully I don't need a lot of seatpost sticking out, but I have to wonder what bike designers are thinking allowing so much room for legs and none for upper body positioning?

I wish you luck, I'm still struggling to piece some stuff together but I think I'm a bit closer than you. I used a 35mm bar diameter, avoid that if you haven't already, not many extreme sized bar or stem options for that size yet.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
I just bought 50mm deity highsides and I freakin love em. Light and comfortable, definitely not too stiff.

Im in same situation and wasn't sure how it would feel, I already had 40 rise renthals. Stoked i did it though, mtb has been hung up on low stack for way too long.

Sit on a motocross bike, bars are crazy tall compared to mtb!

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
Has anyone tried the Answer in 50mm or 76mm and can judge on stiffness ?

The Deity is interesting, but I'd rather keep the width of the bar at 780 or 800, but wouldn't mind the extra 10mm ...

I definitely have the seatpost extended quite a lot above the bars aswell, and that's just painful for normal riding ...

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 1:32 Quote
The Spank Spike bars, which I have come in a 50 mm rise and 800 mm width. Jensonusa has them.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
The Spank Spike bars, which I have come in a 50 mm rise and 800 mm width. Jensonusa has them.

Ah yes I forgot about those! Thanks

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 5:48 Quote
Think I'm going to combo, 5° stem rise and 50mm spank bars. Appreciate the feedback.. also moved the seat down a little after someone worked with me a little on it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
I'm running the DMR stem AND the 50mm rise bars. It works for me.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011549
Mobile Version of Website