2019 GT Sensor Carbon Pro Pike travel change

PB Forum :: GT
2019 GT Sensor Carbon Pro Pike travel change
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
I wanted to get some thoughts on changing my fork travel and offset.

The 2019 Sensor has 130mm of travel front and back and I'm wanting a bit more travel up front.
I've determined that increasing the travel more than 10mm on the Pike 29" is probably not a great idea because it will slack the HA too much and raise the BB even more than its already relatively high measurement.

So I'm interested in getting the new Pike Ultimate for the new damper in 140mm travel. (10mm more than stock) The question is should I change the offset length? The stock Pike has 51mm offset. Should I stick with that or get the lower offset Pike (42mm for the 29ers) for a little more trail? (Which I think has the effect of slacking the HA a bit more without increasing the travel any further

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
stevegoodie wrote:

The 2019 Sensor has 130mm of travel front and back and I'm wanting a bit more travel up front.
I've determined that increasing the travel more than 10mm on the Pike 29" is probably not a great idea because it will slack the HA too much and raise the BB even more than its already relatively high measurement.

So I'm interested in getting the new Pike Ultimate for the new damper in 140mm travel. (10mm more than stock) The question is should I change the offset length? The stock Pike has 51mm offset. Should I stick with that or get the lower offset Pike (42mm for the 29ers) for a little more trail? (Which I think has the effect of slacking the HA a bit more without increasing the travel any further

Maybe you already have the answer to this, but looks like GT actually went 140mm on the fork for the 2020 models. The EXPERT has a 140 Pike.

I have a question for you. How do you like the bike? I’m looking to add a longer travel ride in my stable for playing around, trips to gnar, and general more enjoyable rides with my family. Currently riding a Pivot 4 SL and it is a total speed rocket, but lacks a bit in terms of ability in nasty stuff.

How’s the Sensor pedal? Any issues on climbing? I’m thinking either a Fury or Sensor Expert. Kind of leaning towards the Fury given the longer travel and brakes, but if it climbs like total crap in comparison, i’d Maybe go sensor.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
Sorry for the extremely late reply. You've probably already moved forward with your next bike choice but here's my input just in case someone else is researching as well.

The Sensor climbs as amazing as a bike can without being a full-on XC bike. I never use the climb switch unless I'm on pavement or ultra smooth dirt. The climb switch (even just in the climb position, not fully locked out) negatively affects traction over bumps compared with fully open. Climbing on it is great. Keep in mind that GT as a general rule, opts to build their frames with durability and strength in mind compared with other brands who go for reduced weight. To me this is a positive, but it does end up with the bike being relatively heavy compared with other brands. My Sensor Carbon Pro ended up being 29 pounds even having swapped the alloy cranks out for carbon RaceFace Next R cranks. I much prefer the strength and durability but some people might be surprised that the lightest this bike can get is around 29 pounds.

I really enjoyed the changes I made to the fork. The new damper in the Pike Ultimate is noticeable as well as the tiny bit of increased travel. It's exactly what I was going for, subtle improvement without majorly changing anything. I did also notice slightly less agility at slow-speed and climbing but only very slightly. I also kept my steerer tube long when I got the new fork. I added 10mm of spacers under the stem and really liked the higher bars.

To answer the question of the Fury vs. the Sensor: The Fury is a downhill bike and will climb absolutely horribly. If you're wanting something with more travel that can also climb, look into the Sanction. GT discontinued it when they introduced the current frames but you could still find a great deal on a used one. Keep in mind it won't climb nearly as well as the Sensor or even the Force, but for how much travel it has, it climbs pretty well. If you want something more climbing-focused than that, go for the Force or the Sensor Expert as you mentioned.

Wildh24 wrote:
stevegoodie wrote:

Maybe you already have the answer to this, but looks like GT actually went 140mm on the fork for the 2020 models. The EXPERT has a 140 Pike.

I have a question for you. How do you like the bike? I’m looking to add a longer travel ride in my stable for playing around, trips to gnar, and general more enjoyable rides with my family. Currently riding a Pivot 4 SL and it is a total speed rocket, but lacks a bit in terms of ability in nasty stuff.

How’s the Sensor pedal? Any issues on climbing? I’m thinking either a Fury or Sensor Expert. Kind of leaning towards the Fury given the longer travel and brakes, but if it climbs like total crap in comparison, i’d Maybe go sensor.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004506
Mobile Version of Website