I'm designing new pads and need riders opinions

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
I'm designing new pads and need riders opinions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 18:51 Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a cool project going on right now for school and need the MTB community to help out...

I'm basically trying to design a new form of protection for mtb riding, whether its enduro, xc, trail riding, whatever you want to call it.

Im an industrial design student and have 3 months to work on this, figured id reach out the PB community to try and get some info and ideas from you.

What would your ideal protection from crashing be?

What do you love about current pads?

What do you hate about current pads?

What could be improved/changed?

Basically, if you could create your ideal pads for riding, what would they be?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns and have a discussion between yourselves!

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
I'll chime in. I recently crashed on a rock garden section that cut up my forearms and knees. Several cuts were so clean they looked like surgical incisions! The scrapes I had looked like someone took a peeler and peeled my skin off. Needless to say I dug up the old elbow and knee pads tor use again.

Ideal Protection? Light, breathable and doesn't slip. Hardens on impact then flexes back to original shape.

Fox Titan Elbow pads, Likes: Great protection against strikes of all kinds. Also includes triceps protection. Dislikes: Rigid, stiff, no venting. Slips when descending due to sweat.

G-Form Pro-X knee pads, Likes: Lightweight, breathes well; does decent job against strikes. Dislikes: Currently not offered in 2XL or 3XL for thick legged riders. The older version I have is a 2XL yet it's still a tight fit. Worn on ankles when climbing, pulled up over knees when descending. Absorbs strikes but some force is absorbed by the struck area resulting in bruising or light abrasions.

Improved/changed: Fox Titan-venting, better strapping system. G-Form: Added material concentration to better absorb impact from harder surfaces. Open area behind knee for better venting.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
Would rather have a smaller harder protection point with a more open design for better breathability. Take the initial hit point as a priority then don't wrap the rest off me up so I over heat just to stave of a few minor scratches in the after slide.
Lighter (hence more likly to stay in postion ) more breathable and Comfier.
I'm gonna get hurt in a crash but cuts heal easy so not bothered

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
I'd like knee pads with a lightweight plastic shell right over the knee caps, so that it slides over rocks instead of catching and pulling the pads off where they're supposed to be protecting. Some light padding on the sides would also be nice. I would also like to see sizes for skinny people, as it's super hard finding anything to fit me. I'd like a smooth inner fabric like lycra/ spandex to prevent chafing, and minimal inner stitching, as well as a small rubber gripper around the top and bottom to help stop the pads from slipping up or down

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Thanks for all of the feedback so far guys! It's great to get insight into what people like and dislike about the current products out on the market and how they can be improved.

Does anyone else feel the need for a shin/calf pad or something to cover that area of the leg from peddle strikes? I've had friends mention it on rides but curious if other people would find that useful, or if its easier to just eat up the pain and keep pedaling...haha

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
thehenmtb wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback so far guys! It's great to get insight into what people like and dislike about the current products out on the market and how they can be improved.

Does anyone else feel the need for a shin/calf pad or something to cover that area of the leg from peddle strikes? I've had friends mention it on rides but curious if other people would find that useful, or if its easier to just eat up the pain and keep pedaling...haha

It would be nice to have shin padding, but for the frequency I would need one and how much hotter they are, I just stick to regular knee pads

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
thehenmtb wrote:

It would be nice to have shin padding, but for the frequency I would need one and how much hotter they are, I just stick to regular knee pads

So you don't think some sort of shin protector would be something you'd want to use every ride?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009432
Mobile Version of Website