Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Beginner looking for bike buying tips

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner looking for bike buying tips
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 21:43 Quote
Hello!

I have been riding for about a year on my Rockhopper comp, and while I love the trails, the bike itself always felt a bit... odd to me. I enjoyed my dads older Scott with 26ers and a tighter frame (same "medium" size designation) much, MUCH more. It was playful and easy.

I just sold off my bike and I am looking to move into full suspension. I am unfortunately only comfortable spending about $1,000.

My question is two fold:

1) I am currently looking at a Diamondback Release 1 (2017) for about $1,000. On pictures it appears to be in immaculate condition. Does anyone have experience with this bike? Is this a good bike as a "Do it all" type deal? I generally stick to regular trails (for now).

2) Should I be trying to get a bike that is younger and maybe a little worse specced, than an older (5-6 years) bike that of similar value that is better specced?

Thank you so much!

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 22:42 Quote
SlightlyUsed wrote:
Hello!

I have been riding for about a year on my Rockhopper comp, and while I love the trails, the bike itself always felt a bit... odd to me. I enjoyed my dads older Scott with 26ers and a tighter frame (same "medium" size designation) much, MUCH more. It was playful and easy.

I just sold off my bike and I am looking to move into full suspension. I am unfortunately only comfortable spending about $1,000.

My question is two fold:

1) I am currently looking at a Diamondback Release 1 (2017) for about $1,000. On pictures it appears to be in immaculate condition. Does anyone have experience with this bike? Is this a good bike as a "Do it all" type deal? I generally stick to regular trails (for now).

2) Should I be trying to get a bike that is younger and maybe a little worse specced, than an older (5-6 years) bike that of similar value that is better specced?

Thank you so much!

id get the newer bike as the geo will be far better

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
2017 is fairly young imo... the 2017 spec with RS Yari/Monarch Debonair & SRAM NX for a grand sounds like a good deal...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008474
Mobile Version of Website