Can I blame the Bike a little? grew up riding, stopped, bought a cheap-o

PB Forum :: Beginners
Can I blame the Bike a little? grew up riding, stopped, bought a cheap-o
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
Guys,

I grew up riding bmx, dirt jumps, street etc. Even built an old azonic dirt jumper back in the day. Then stopped riding for like 9 years.
I wanted to get back into mtb, and bought this beater K2 crush for 100 bucks a while back to see if I would stick with it. It was a great decision, but I am riding often now, take trips back home to California every once in a while and ride great trails, but I am wondering if I can blame this bike for some of my inadequacies.

I used to be able to manual for a good bit, but now it is a pain in the ass on this bike. Additionally it feels extremely awkward to jump, and i dont really trust it at all, because i feel super stretched out, not aggressive in any way.
Can I blame the bike a little? or am I still knocking off the rust lol

Additionally, I am scoping out new bikes to get in a year or two, and im trying to figure out what specs I should be looking at.

I want a bike I can climb trails with as my father likes to climb, but I also want to do drop offs, bomb off things, and not worry about a loss of travel. Additionally, a geometry and feel that says, PLEASE JUMP WITH ME is ideal. I want a bike that feels fun and like it wants to do aggressive things, unlike this bike that dares me to do a drop off and just go haywire. The most ideal would be an all in one, that can climb, go to a bike park, dirt jumps, and just be a blast to ride anywhere.

Cheers

see turd bike:

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
Yes, you should buy a better bike. It will likely cost many thousands of dollars even used.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
pinkbike25 wrote:
Guys,

I grew up riding bmx, dirt jumps, street etc. Even built an old azonic dirt jumper back in the day. Then stopped riding for like 9 years.
I wanted to get back into mtb, and bought this beater K2 crush for 100 bucks a while back to see if I would stick with it. It was a great decision, but I am riding often now, take trips back home to California every once in a while and ride great trails, but I am wondering if I can blame this bike for some of my inadequacies.

I used to be able to manual for a good bit, but now it is a pain in the ass on this bike. Additionally it feels extremely awkward to jump, and i dont really trust it at all, because i feel super stretched out, not aggressive in any way.
Can I blame the bike a little? or am I still knocking off the rust lol

Additionally, I am scoping out new bikes to get in a year or two, and im trying to figure out what specs I should be looking at.

I want a bike I can climb trails with as my father likes to climb, but I also want to do drop offs, bomb off things, and not worry about a loss of travel. Additionally, a geometry and feel that says, PLEASE JUMP WITH ME is ideal. I want a bike that feels fun and like it wants to do aggressive things, unlike this bike that dares me to do a drop off and just go haywire. The most ideal would be an all in one, that can climb, go to a bike park, dirt jumps, and just be a blast to ride anywhere.

Cheers

see turd bike:

I would recommend getting a new bike, yes. This however is going to be pretty expensive judging by what you want to do. (drops, jumps, etc). Id say you are looking at the $2-3k range. Some bikes I can recommend are the YT Capra, Commencal Meta, Canyon spectral or strive, Specialized Stumpjumper or Enduro. You can find all of these on the Buy/sell page, under all-mountain/Enduro bikes.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:

I would recommend getting a new bike, yes. This however is going to be pretty expensive judging by what you want to do. (drops, jumps, etc). Id say you are looking at the $2-3k range. Some bikes I can recommend are the YT Capra, Commencal Meta, Canyon spectral or strive, Specialized Stumpjumper or Enduro. You can find all of these on the Buy/sell page, under all-mountain/Enduro bikes.

Yes I agree. I'm in my final semester at school and once I am employed that is the plan. I appreciate the bike recommendations. I have been back and forth about an enduro vs a stumpy. especially the different options of the stumpys. Also 29er vs 27.5. I am thinking about renting a bunch of different bikes over the next few months/years and seeing what i like.

I actually really appreciate this description from YT about the Capra (I just wish I could test ride one)

The CAPRA 29 combines unbeatable control and stability on fast downhills with unmatched climbing efficiency. Planted low between the axles you form a unity with the bike that offers instant confidence. Thanks to the slack headtube angle, the long wheel base and those tall, capable wheels the CAPRA is the perfect tool for conquering the Megavalanche or putting away long trail rides with plenty of ups and downs. The outstanding grip provides excellent drive on power-intensive climbs and thanks to the FlipChip the geometry can be perfectly adapted to your needs.

The CAPRA 27 is for all of those looking for the playful agility of an enduro bike combined with the gravity genes of a downhiller. With extra suspension travel it sits on the trail like a true DH bike. The slack headtube angle and long wheel base provide for super stable handling, while the extra short chainstays ensure that the bike remains playful, agile, and shamelessly greedy for turns. Without limitation, the CAPRA 27 is a machine made for descending – and one that doesn’t need a lift.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
Yeah! I have heard however, that the enduro is very easy to blow the shock on. Something about the linkage puts a lot of stress on the rear shock. I have 2 friends who have blown multiple shocks.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Yeah! I have heard however, that the enduro is very easy to blow the shock on. Something about the linkage puts a lot of stress on the rear shock. I have 2 friends who have blown multiple shocks.

That is good to know! I think I will have to get alot better before I am blowing shocks haha

You know what else i have been looking at, is the YT Jeffsy. This was a pretty good article comparing the Jeffsy and the Capra.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/battle-review-yt-jeffsy-cf-pro-race-29-vs-yt-capra-cf-pro-race-29/

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 21:00 Quote
Yes. The Jeffsey is a very capable bike, and cheap too. I know about 5 people who own them.’

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Yes. The Jeffsey is a very capable bike, and cheap too. I know about 5 people who own them.’

Just got to do demo rides on scott ransom and genius. I am blown away.
Definitely more expensive than YT. But I was very impressed!.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
Yeah, you can definitely blame the bike. Equipment matters despite some folks claiming otherwise. 2 personal examples: both my skiiing and MTB-ing skills increased exponentially after upgrading from primitive to modern equipment. Am I an expert? Far from it. But I am so much better than I was before, and can finally progress, while previously I was always hampered by the terrible gear and pretty much stuck in a rut. Just keep in mind there are diminishing returns. Going from a $3K bike to a $5K one likely won't make a huge difference, but $500 to $3K is pretty significant.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
pinkbike25 wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

Riding a Scott Gambler here haha.

Anyways what others said YT is 1 of the cheaper options for your needs or you can look at Canyon bikes. Both are having direct sales from their websites (which means they cut out the middle man, which makes it cheaper for the buyer).

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
[Quote="Tripmo"]
pinkbike25 wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

Riding a Scott Gambler here haha.

Anyways what others said YT is 1 of the cheaper options for your needs or you can look at Canyon bikes. Both are having direct sales from their websites (which means they cut out the middle man, which makes it cheaper for the buyer).[/Quote

Yeah, Canyon is a popular one. Personally, ive never been interested, because the prices are higher than Commencal's prices or even YT's. But they are great bikes if money isnt a factor

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
0 mins ago - Butterworth 0823944506 penis enlargement cream/pills IN BUTTERWORTH, LADY FRERE, LADY GREY
1 mins ago - Bethlehem mens clinic 0739143863 penis enlargement cream/pills in king williams town/harrismith
1 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
2 mins ago - Bloemfontein mens clinic 0739143863 penis enlargement cream and pills in botshabelo,
3 mins ago - Bellville 0739143863 penis enlargement cream in durban/rustenburg/pietermariztburg/ IN KURUMAn
4 mins ago - Boksburg, 0739143863 penis enlargement creams/pills fe in Benoni, Boksburg, Brakpan,
5 mins ago - Benoni mens clinic 0739143863 penis enlargement cream and pills in Duduza Edenvale Ennerdale Germiston Impumelelo
6 mins ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
6 mins ago - Bedfordview mens clinic 0739143863 penis enlargement cream and pills in eastgate/northgate/southagate/edenvale/
8 mins ago - Alberton== 0739143863 penis enlargement cream and pills in germiston/kemptonpark/alberton /
10 mins ago - Acornhoek 0739143863 penis enlargement cream/pills in thulamahashe/bushbuckridge/hazyview
13 mins ago - Zimbabwe love spells +27739143863 lost love spell caster in Namibia Niger Nigeria
13 mins ago - Nigel 0739143863 lost love spells in Katlehong Kwathema nigel/vosloorus/sp
14 mins ago - Nelspruit 0739143863 love spels in witbank/middleburg/pietretief/bushbuckridge/hazyview/
15 mins ago - Witbank 0739143863 lost love spells/magic ring nelspruit IN middleburg/pietretief
16 mins ago - Welkom 0739143863 lost love spells/magic ring in mthatha/butterworth/queenstown
17 mins ago - Westonaria 0739143863 lost love spells /magic ring in carletonville, northam, mafikeng, brits
20 mins ago - Piet retief 0739143863 lost love spell caster in ermelo/delmas/nelspruit/vaal/durban/capetown/
21 mins ago - Pietermariztburg 0739143863 lost love spells in durban/newcastle/richards bay/stanger/eshowe/
22 mins ago - Vryheid 0739143863 lost love spells pinetown/stanger in pietermariztburg/newcastle
22 mins ago - Vereeniging 0739143863 lost love spell caster/magic ring in bloemfontein/witbank
23 mins ago - Vanderbijlpark 0739143863 lost love spells /magic ring in secunda/standerton in klerksdorp/orkney/
24 mins ago - TZANEEN/MESSINA 0739143863 lost love spell caster IN LEPHALALE/POLOKWANE/MAKOPANE/LOUISTRICHARD
25 mins ago - Taung 0739143863 lost love spells/magic ring in vryburg/mafikeng/lichtenburg/polokwane/makopane
26 mins ago - Tembisa love spells 0739143863 lost love spell caster/money spells in midrand, randburg, fourways, sandton, cosmocity,

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013143
Mobile Version of Website