Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Ibis vs Santa Cruz sizing for rider between sizes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ibis vs Santa Cruz sizing for rider between sizes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
Hi guys I'm 5'9" and fit better on a large Santa Cruz vs Medium. I demo'd Bronson v3 2019 in both sizes. Would that translate to a large size Ibis Ripmo? For both companies 5'9" is in between large and medium sizes.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
It depends if your torso and arms are proportional to your height. If you're long on top compared to your legs, size up. Otherwise size down. I rode a large v2 5010. I'm on a large Ripmo. I have a long torso and arms. I initially thought it was too small. Now just right. You need a lot of weight over your front wheel for traction in turns. A lot. That took a little getting used to. It's not as bad as the sb130 articles sound but front weighting the Ripmo is necessary to get around some turns. So a medium may be more helpful for that. Once you drop the seat, you're on a sizeless bike because it goes so far down. Then it's just pedals and grips for contact points.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
I have demod both large and medium ripmo. I’m 5’10 and prefer the med ripmo. I ride tight punchy rocky tech and the med is much quicker handler and way easier getting the front end up and over obstacles. If I was grinding up fire roads and descending all day I would go with a large. It’s defiantly more stable at speed.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
I'm 1.82m (6ft) tall with short legs and was happy on a large Ripmo and a large Hightower 2.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
mkarlovich wrote:
Hi guys I'm 5'9" and fit better on a large Santa Cruz vs Medium. I demo'd Bronson v3 2019 in both sizes. Would that translate to a large size Ibis Ripmo? For both companies 5'9" is in between large and medium sizes.

When accounting for stack (it alters the true reach), the Large Bronson v3 is slightly longer in reach than the Medium Ripmo.

The Bronson has a slacker head angle, so its front-centre (BB to front contact point) is a little shorter than a Large Ripmo.

Choose the Large Ripmo if you want a super stable bike and can accept that less technical trails will feel utterly benign and less fun.

Choose the Medium if you can give up some stability in favour of more agility.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013158
Mobile Version of Website