Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Raceface Aeffect creaking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Raceface Aeffect creaking
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
I have a 1 year old Raceface Aeffect crankset that is creaking on the non-drive side. I replaced the BB (with a Shimano SM-BB93) thinking this was the issue. I cleaned the BB shell and put it back together. I also removed the cinch ring and chainring to thoroughly clean that as well. Everything spun nicely, no side play. Still creaks. I put on a different set of pedals that I know do not creak. Still creaks. The frame doesn't appear to be cracked but my eyes aren't what they used to be. Any ideas before I $hitcan these POS's and replace with a Shimano XT crankset?

On edit: So I put a few drops of WD-40 where the spindle is pressed onto the non drive side crank. Creak gone (for now).

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 1:45 Quote
If it creaks again, pull it apart and grease the hell out of it. Worked for my saints on a few occasions. The creak is just dry bearings

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Dilly-Dilly wrote:
I have a 1 year old Raceface Aeffect crankset that is creaking on the non-drive side. I replaced the BB (with a Shimano SM-BB93) thinking this was the issue. I cleaned the BB shell and put it back together. I also removed the cinch ring and chainring to thoroughly clean that as well. Everything spun nicely, no side play. Still creaks. I put on a different set of pedals that I know do not creak. Still creaks. The frame doesn't appear to be cracked but my eyes aren't what they used to be. Any ideas before I $hitcan these POS's and replace with a Shimano XT crankset?

On edit: So I put a few drops of WD-40 where the spindle is pressed onto the non drive side crank. Creak gone (for now).

could be pedals as well. I had a pair that i quickly replaced with turbines because of their constant problems with loosening on rides and never had problems with them creaking but close to all pivot bikes come stock with aeffect cranks and after working at a pivot dealer I have gotten several complaints about creaking in that area and after replacing the bb as well as the pivot bearings I still couldn't find the issue. A healthy dose of grease should do the trick but if not try doing a pedal rebuild. If you have shimano all you need is an 8, 10, and 7 mil allen and 5 minutes per pedal and you'll be set

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008557
Mobile Version of Website