PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bike advice - Allmountain 29er
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 2:24 Quote
Hi all,

My specs:
Height 179cm / 5ft 10.9''
Inseam 84cm / 33''

Currently riding a large 2018 SBG Transition Patrol with an aluminium frame. Quite liking the bike in the bikepark and more open/faster trails. Liking it less on tight/steep/tech trails, where I feel the bike is sluggish/long and hard to maneuver. I feel the slack HTA (64 deg.) combined with the short fork offset (37mm) are contributing to the above.

So you can probably guess already, I'm eaking to buy something new. I want a slightly less agressive bike that climbs well and is easyer to handle on slower speeds. Also I'm leaning towards a 29er currently, as I think they are more allround capable.

Dreambike would currently (changes frequently Razz Smile be a Ripmo. Too bad I'm not willing to spend Ripmo $$ to a new bike. Aiming somewhere around the 3000/3500 euro mark.

Shortlist:
1. Trek Slash 8
+ Currently on sale 2019 model 2600 EUR, would upgr fork damper, brakes and tires
+ Reviews are all positive, better geo than carbon version, good suspension.
- Questioning the STA, I liked the steep STA on the Patrol
2. Canyon Strive CF 5.0/6.0
= Sale period just ended, would wait for a new one
? Doubting the Shapeshifter. I'm a less is more person and don't fancy more remotes on the bar
+ Great reviews, good specs for the money
- Even in climb mode not a real steep STA
3. Bird AM9
+ Fully customizable
+ Reviews are positive
= Not cheap, especially considering the frame is aluminium
? The M/L I would opt for is even longer than the Patrol, meaning it's a big bike again
4. Orbea Rallon 2019 M10
- At the top of my budget, without room for upgrades
+ Looks, really liking the assymetric frame
- Why did they put a Kashima shock on and a Performance (black) fork? Frown
+ Steep STA + good climber

Wondering what you guys think. Would the bikes above suit the tight/steep/tech trails I ride most better than my current bike?
Oh BTW, demoing isn't an option for most of them. I don't live near any dealers, also riding the terrain I like is at least 2.5h drive.

Thanks! Beer

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 2:40 Quote
Kabookie wrote:

3. Bird AM9
+ Fully customizable
+ Reviews are positive
? The M/L I would opt for is even longer than the Patrol, meaning it's a big bike again

Disclaimer - I've just bought an AM9 after demoing a Large, which didn't feel sluggish/hard to manoeuvre to me (although I've never ridden a patrol, so I can't comment on how they compare).

In terms of them not being "as cheap", I say that's entirely up to the spec you choose on the website. My bike, with XTR brakes (a bit unnecessary probably)/SLX 1x12/Lyrik and Super Deluxe Ultimates/Hope&DT Wheels came in at £3,300, which IMO for the money is infinitely better than a similar spec from the other brands you've mentioned.

You'd easily be able to spec up a bike within your budget which would leave little room for future upgrades (saving money in the long run).

In terms of ride, I only had two demos before buying (bike should be with me soon) so I can't comment too much, but the reviews speak for themselves.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 2:53 Quote
Thanks holt, for your reply!
Agree on the pricepoint. The bike would be futureproof out of the box, as I did select the parts I wanted preventing upgrading later on.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:38 Quote
Kabookie wrote:
Hi all,

My specs:
Height 179cm / 5ft 10.9''
Inseam 84cm / 33''

Currently riding a large 2018 SBG Transition Patrol with an aluminium frame. Quite liking the bike in the bikepark and more open/faster trails. Liking it less on tight/steep/tech trails, where I feel the bike is sluggish/long and hard to maneuver. I feel the slack HTA (64 deg.) combined with the short fork offset (37mm) are contributing to the above.

So you can probably guess already, I'm eaking to buy something new. I want a slightly less agressive bike that climbs well and is easyer to handle on slower speeds. Also I'm leaning towards a 29er currently, as I think they are more allround capable.

Dreambike would currently (changes frequently Razz Smile be a Ripmo. Too bad I'm not willing to spend Ripmo $$ to a new bike. Aiming somewhere around the 3000/3500 euro mark.

Shortlist:
1. Trek Slash 8
+ Currently on sale 2019 model 2600 EUR, would upgr fork damper, brakes and tires
+ Reviews are all positive, better geo than carbon version, good suspension.
- Questioning the STA, I liked the steep STA on the Patrol
2. Canyon Strive CF 5.0/6.0
= Sale period just ended, would wait for a new one
? Doubting the Shapeshifter. I'm a less is more person and don't fancy more remotes on the bar
+ Great reviews, good specs for the money
- Even in climb mode not a real steep STA
3. Bird AM9
+ Fully customizable
+ Reviews are positive
4. Orbea Rallon 2019 M10
- At the top of my budget, without room for upgrades
+ Looks, really liking the assymetric frame
- Why did they put a Kashima shock on and a Performance (black) fork? Frown
+ Steep STA + good climber

Wondering what you guys think. Would the bikes above suit the tight/steep/tech trails I ride most better than my current bike?
Oh BTW, demoing isn't an option for most of them. I don't live near any dealers, also riding the terrain I like is at least 2.5h drive.

Thanks! Beer

Bikes above are mostly Enduro racing bikes, which mean long, low, slack (great for enduro racing, bike parks etc..). They will ride similar to current bike you have. If you want more "all-mountain" bike look for class "lower", i.e. Trek Remedy, Canyon Spectral, Giant Trance 29er etc... I think they will give you what you seek, newer 29er Enduro bikes are becoming real monstertrucks with big wheel and long/slack/low philosophy.
Not all of us need/want that Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008729
Mobile Version of Website