Norco Sight vs Kona Process 134 vs Transition Scout (2019)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Norco Sight vs Kona Process 134 vs Transition Scout (2019)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 23:44 Quote
I’m looking for a fun mid-travel 27.5 bike and these three seem to be the best alloy bikes. I’m relatively new to mountain biking (just started this summer), but progressing super fast as I used to road bike and I’ve snowboarded for years (snowboarding probably sounds like it wouldn’t translate to mtb but it has definitely helped with in air comfortability and bombing downhills) I want something that can climb efficiently, is playful, and competent downhill. I ride trails now but I’m definitely going to be hitting some bike parks next year and I need something that I can grow into. The Process has the least travel, steepest seat tube and average head tube. The Scout has the slackest head and seat tube angles with slightly more travel than the Process. The Sight has the most travel, the slackest seat tube angle, and the same head tube angle as the Process. I know nothing of the rear suspension setup so I’d be interested to hear thoughts. I’d love an SB140 but that’s definitely outta the budget. Lemme know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 16:26 Quote
Haven't ridden the other bikes, but did ride a Sight for my first year back into riding after taking 10 years off. Also an avid snowboarder (27 years). And I can say that the bike kicks some serious ass. I did not expect it to be as capable as it was. As the rust fell off, skills started to come back and I used my snowboarder mentality to just "f*ck it" and bomb descents, it handled it all with ease. Raced some enduros on it... really liked that bike. As for the seat tube angle, you can always just slide your seat forward to accommodate for the slacker angle.

Also, have never heard anything but great things about the Process and the Scout. The upside is, no matter which bike you end up with, you're going to have a great time. All good capable bikes that punch above their weight class.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
Another vote for the Sight.
I had a carbon one ( now on a range for more squish ), but for riding Squamish / North Shore that bike taught me that I could go up technical climbs and it defined " playful " on the way down.
I love modern Konas as well - don't have much time on them to comment, but the 134 would also be a solid choice. I'd go with the bike that leaves you the most money to upgrade any parts you don't like, or simply the one that you think looks best.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
Cheut wrote:
I’m looking for a fun mid-travel 27.5 bike and these three seem to be the best alloy bikes. I’m relatively new to mountain biking (just started this summer), but progressing super fast as I used to road bike and I’ve snowboarded for years (snowboarding probably sounds like it wouldn’t translate to mtb but it has definitely helped with in air comfortability and bombing downhills) I want something that can climb efficiently, is playful, and competent downhill. I ride trails now but I’m definitely going to be hitting some bike parks next year and I need something that I can grow into. The Process has the least travel, steepest seat tube and average head tube. The Scout has the slackest head and seat tube angles with slightly more travel than the Process. The Sight has the most travel, the slackest seat tube angle, and the same head tube angle as the Process. I know nothing of the rear suspension setup so I’d be interested to hear thoughts. I’d love an SB140 but that’s definitely outta the budget. Lemme know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

I think you will find the Kona process to be the best all around bike of that group. Climbs well, pedals well, and goes downhill really well. If you are looking for a 27.5 wheel bike, you might consider the Process 153. It has more travel than the 134 but pedals and climbs just as well. That would give you a lot more margin on the downhills if you really like to bomb down them. I have a process 153 and it is my go to bike for enduro and all mountain riding. I have test ridden the scout and it climbs like a sled and is just ok on the downhill stuff. The process out pedals and out descends the scout for sure.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Cheut wrote:

I think you will find the Kona process to be the best all around bike of that group. Climbs well, pedals well, and goes downhill really well. If you are looking for a 27.5 wheel bike, you might consider the Process 153. It has more travel than the 134 but pedals and climbs just as well. That would give you a lot more margin on the downhills if you really like to bomb down them. I have a process 153 and it is my go to bike for enduro and all mountain riding. I have test ridden the scout and it climbs like a sled and is just ok on the downhill stuff. The process out pedals and out descends the scout for sure.

Yeah I’ve heard the Scout isn’t much of a climber. I had looked at the 153 but it seemed like it may be too much bike for my current trails, but I’ll also be moving to somewhere a lot more mountainous in a year so that may be a good thing in the long run. I was so interested in the Sight because it splits the difference in travel but the Process does seem to have slightly more favorable geometry. I think I’m just gonna have to ride the 153 and Sight and see which I prefer, mainly on the climbs.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Cheut wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
Cheut wrote:

Yeah I’ve heard the Scout isn’t much of a climber. I had looked at the 153 but it seemed like it may be too much bike for my current trails, but I’ll also be moving to somewhere a lot more mountainous in a year so that may be a good thing in the long run. I was so interested in the Sight because it splits the difference in travel but the Process does seem to have slightly more favorable geometry. I think I’m just gonna have to ride the 153 and Sight and see which I prefer, mainly on the climbs.

I think you will be surprised how well the Process 153 climbs. I came off of a 2017 Yt Jeffsy carbon that I set all of my climbing PR's on and bought a 2019 carbon 153. Now the Jeffsy is a known climber with 150mm of travel, but I broke all of my climbing PR's that I set Jeffsy with the Process 153. I knew the 153 would descend much better than the Jeffsy, but the way it climbs really shocked me. It is 2 pounds heavier than the Jeffsy but the way it climbs is such a welcome surprise. It also corners and pedals really well and point it downhill, and it just rips. I like it so much that I just sold my Transition Patrol that I used for Enduro and park days because the Process is just as fast but a lot more fun to ride.

Good luck with your decision.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011939
Mobile Version of Website