What to buy?

PB Forum :: Beginners
What to buy?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
So I have posted here before looking for ideas as to what to buy and have some friends getting into it so I’m putting in some interest again. I’m 29, 5’11 185 lbs. I live in CT and am interested in dirt trail, rocky trail, and street riding. I like how the treks look. I had a mountain bike when I was a kid which was awesome but things have obviously changed a lot since then. What do people think?

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
Trek makes nice bikes so go to your local dealer to test ride different models and see what fits your need the best. Check for their next demo day where they might be stationed at a local trail system for test rides.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
You would probably need to elaborate more on what exactly you were wanting to ride and riding style. When you just say rocky, dirt and street that could mean rocky tech climbs, fast flowy dirt and bombing stairs in an urban setting.

Without knowing exactly what your intentions are for riding I can't say for certain but I can still give opinion based on what I ride. Trek's Fuel EX would be great if you are doing a equal amounts of climbing and descending. The 29er wheels would carry speed on the trail and on paved ground. If you don't mind sacrificing the rolling ability of the 29er and want to maybe progress to rowdier trails (jumps/drops) I would suggest checking out the Remedy (Fuel EX can do this too but the Remedy is a little better suited). Has a little more travel and a little more aggressive geo. Still pedals really well but is a blast when you want to go fast and get silly.

Both are great bikes and both are very capable. There is a lot of overlap in ability. It is easiest to think of it as primary and secondary goals/wants. Climbing vs descending.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
mjshaw130 wrote:
So I have posted here before looking for ideas as to what to buy and have some friends getting into it so I’m putting in some interest again. I’m 29, 5’11 185 lbs. I live in CT and am interested in dirt trail, rocky trail, and street riding. I like how the treks look. I had a mountain bike when I was a kid which was awesome but things have obviously changed a lot since then. What do people think?
Trek makes good bikes. Best to go to shop to demo some and see the difference.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 12:06 Quote
I'd recommend these guides to get up to speed on the various things you want to look at when thinking about what sort of bike would work best for you:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/mountain-bike-reviews/bike-fit-and-geometry-part-1

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/27-5-trail-bikes-a-guide-comparisons

and

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/29er-trail-bikes-a-guide-comparisons

Some of the bikes in those comparisons are a couple of years old now, but reading about them should help put you on the right track on what to look for. And like some of the other posters said, get out there an demo some bikes. There is no real replacement for personal experience.

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
Buy used! There are so many used bikes out there, and you will get a lot more for your money that way. There is a Trek shop in RI (can't remember which one, maybe Narragansett Bikes) who does rentals, and I believe they will even deliver the rental bike to you. But rent one for a day or two and ride the snot out of it. You need to just get a bike, get on the trails, and ride. This will help you develop your riding style, and also learn what you would LIKE and DISLIKE in your next, bigger bike. This will also allow you to see other people on the trails and learn about their bikes, and their riding styles.

I was in the same boat you're in earlier this summer. Everyone talked me out of full suspension. So I bought a brand new Roscoe. It's a great bike, but I outgrew it very quickly. In hind sight, I wish I would have bought a USED bike.

I just bought a new (used) bike last week off of Craigslist. I asked if he would meet me at a local trail system so I could ride it, and he agreed. It worked nicely. You may be able to work something like this out.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008758
Mobile Version of Website