Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Stripping paint from Nukeproof Mega

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Stripping paint from Nukeproof Mega
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 22:31 Quote
I've currently got a 2018 Nukeproof mega I want to strip. I was wandering if it'd be worth removing the pivot bearings or just taping them and working around it. Plan to use paint stripper to get the paint off.

Thanks.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
Definitely remove them. The stripper will gunk them up. You'll also get a much better finish with them removed. A good tip when re installing them is to put them in the freezer for half hour before pressing them back in, makes the job much easier.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
metaam wrote:
Definitely remove them. The stripper will gunk them up. You'll also get a much better finish with them removed. A good tip when re installing them is to put them in the freezer for half hour before pressing them back in, makes the job much easier.

Thanks for the tip! Any advice on removing them without destroying them?

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
If you haven't got/ don't want to buy a bearing puller, you could ask a bike shop to do it for you.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Generaly if your not sure then as said a bike shop.
Depending you can sometimes get away with using long bolts,washers,nuts and
sockets and improvise a bearing press/puller, though it realy depends on
the frame, its also easy to mess up.

What paint stripper are you using ?

If its Nitromors, then you maybe in for a long haul, Nitromors nowadays is pretty crap at removing paint from
bikes, as the main ingredient, dichloromethane or methylene chloride was removed,
it was this chemical that rappidly burnt into the paint, blistering it in seconds,
since its removal Nitromors has a far weaker chemical ingredient, to the point of
being a waste of time and money.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Generaly if your not sure then as said a bike shop.
Depending you can sometimes get away with using long bolts,washers,nuts and
sockets and improvise a bearing press/puller, though it realy depends on
the frame, its also easy to mess up.

What paint stripper are you using ?

If its Nitromors, then you maybe in for a long haul, Nitromors nowadays is pretty crap at removing paint from
bikes, as the main ingredient, dichloromethane or methylene chloride was removed,
it was this chemical that rappidly burnt into the paint, blistering it in seconds,
since its removal Nitromors has a far weaker chemical ingredient, to the point of
being a waste of time and money.

Nitromors works if you ignore the instructions where it says remove after 2 hours. Leave it on for about a week.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
"Nitromors works if you ignore the instructions where it says remove after 2 hours. Leave it on for about a week."

Still better to buy a paint stripper with methylene chloride in, as you can't beat that warm burning
feeling on your skin as you flickit all over your face whilst brushing it onto your frame,
especially on a cold wintery evening.

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 1:20 Quote
It's all finished now! I left the bearings in the end and just did what i could, they were pretty crusty anyway and didn't feel smooth when I took apart the rear linkage. Gave everything a pretty thorough pressure wash afterwards and got all the gunk out. I used Nitromors and another product called Rustins, found doing it in small batches worked well, it did take quite awhile all together though.

Thanks for your help.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010137
Mobile Version of Website