Am I out of line if I put enduro fork on hardtail?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Am I out of line if I put enduro fork on hardtail?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
Been riding for a couple months now. I entered the sport with a hardtail. My bike currently has a RockShox Judy 110mm travel. The bike has been great and I’m having a blast. But more and more frequently I bottom the forks out. I’ve put more air in the shock, messed with the rebound settings a bit, and I just can’t help my curiosity in a bigger fork. I feel like I may begin to lose some handling and general characteristics of hardtail. Considering something in the range of 140mm-160mm like a Fox Float. Too much travel? Save up and buy a full suspension bike? Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 4:00 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:
Been riding for a couple months now. I entered the sport with a hardtail. My bike currently has a RockShox Judy 110mm travel. The bike has been great and I’m having a blast. But more and more frequently I bottom the forks out. I’ve put more air in the shock, messed with the rebound settings a bit, and I just can’t help my curiosity in a bigger fork. I feel like I may begin to lose some handling and general characteristics of hardtail. Considering something in the range of 140mm-160mm like a Fox Float. Too much travel? Save up and buy a full suspension bike? Thoughts?

If you can find a nice deal on a fork it might be worth a try. As the frame is designed for 110mm you can probably get away with 140mm, but putting a longer fork on it will mean the geometry will be messed up, so the seat angle will become too slack for climbing. Also longer forks will put more stress on a frame near the headtube area, and the frame might not be designed to handle that stress.

Some people actually choose a hardtail over full suspension, because they are fun to ride, especially on loamy trails without too many rocks .

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:

the geometry with a fork with more travel will be slackened out a ton and the bike is not designed for a rider position like that and with the longer travel and slacker head tube angle it will put too much stress on your head tube. sure, you could take bigger hits but the bike would ride like horse shit. a judy is also a fork of a lower caliber than that of a fox float which leads me to conclude that it wouldn't be worth putting extra money into the bike.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
You're actually "in line" with everyone else who wants a full suspension bike. Dont polish a turd, your going to buy a new bike in the end either way.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
Keep the bike as designed, buy another bike, and sell that one. would be my solution. others made valid points.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
I mean I put a 200mm Marzocchi 888 on a go avalanche which had about 90mm

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 7:57 Quote
I happily put 140mm 150mm travel forks on my hardtails that came
with 100mm 110mm forks, by the time my load weight sets in
ive only gained an extra 20mm or so, any indifference in feel I learn
to ride with, its my bike I can do what I want and play with how It feels,
can always change it back.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007280
Mobile Version of Website